The AEW Thread

TheGoon

6 hours ago, TheGoon said:

Grungier version of Wild Thing for Moxley this week. Fits much better. 

It's had a lot of covers over the years, but I think it was the one made famous by Major League. I don't watch a ton of New Japan, so I had kind of hoped it was just a change to his NJPW theme. As Mox's AEW music has been one of the better ones and fit quite well.

In a full crowd Wild Thing does have the potential to cross over into Sandman territory. Certainly you could only imagine the reaction if Mox, Kingston, Hangman, Silver, & Reynolds headed to the ring to take on the Super Elite in Blood & Guts.

The online community seem to be getting very salty because Jim Ross said he believes Randy Orton to be the best wrestler in the world right now. People very angry he never said Kenny Omega including apparently Kenny Omega. Chris Jericho has posted a tweet and said it's inarguable that it's anyone but Omega.

I've no idea who it is. I'd say Orton is more of a household name, but bizarre that so many are getting upset over it.

If Kenny Omega was a P&B poster, he'd be getting ripped to shreds with '^^ verge of tears' posts.

Also, I get that he and Cornette have history and he's being referred to as the 'bigot cuck' but is he also taking a legit swipe at JR in that Tweet? Fucking hell.

Edited by Ludo*1

Is Omega not a heel at the moment though? I might be wrong, I've only got a very distant understanding of what's going on in AEW and elsewhere because I'm a WWE bigot cuck, but is that just not him leaning into the charracter a bit?

"Best Wrestler in the World" is probably about as much of a hornet's nest of subjectivity that "best x in the world" is for everything else.  How are you supposed to even quantify it?  Purely depends from what perspective you're looking at it from.  There'll be guys out there with an absolutely incredible work-rate who can do amazing things, but, say, lack charisma.  Then guys that are pretty limited but who can hold a crowd's attention like no-one else.  Orton's been really, really good for the past couple of years, as he seems to have found at least one f**k to give after losing them for a while, but he's probably not top in either charisma or as a worker.  

All seems a little silly to get worked up over, but I guess that's the business (and the fans that will worry about this kind of stuff)

I'm obviously not going to go full Cornette here, but I've never got the hype around Kenny Olivier (bollocks, I went full Cornette). While he's obviously very decent in the ring, I find it hard to get into his matches. Even the ones with Jericho, and I am a huge fan of Jericho the wrestler, for me were a bit short of the hype they seemed to get.

FWIW, I have a pretty similar opinion of Randall Keith Orton!

I also don't get it. He's not that good, he's absolutely nowhere Orton obviously. If he's genuinely affronted by Jr's comments he should pipe down and work harder at getting better.

If he was the best in the world, he wouldn't be at AEW.

When people in wrestling describe Orton, it's hard to argue against the reasons they appreciate him so much. 

I don't enjoy him anywhere near as much as I enjoy Omega, but it's clear that Orton has nailed down so much of what he's supposed to do. And despite his profile being higher than ever, I probably enjoy Omega less now than I ever have. 

Edited by Andre Drazen

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I also don't get it. He's not that good, he's absolutely nowhere Orton obviously. If he's genuinely affronted by Jr's comments he should pipe down and work harder at getting better.

If he was the best in the world, he wouldn't be at AEW.

Didn't he turn down WWE? He's also the champion of 3 promotions at the moment and had been IWGP Heavyweight champion more than once. Working at the top in various promotions doesn't sound like someone who isn't working as hard as they can. I also don't think you need to be in WWE to be considered the top wrestler around.

It's all subjective anyway. Each person will have their favourites. I don't think either guy is the 'best in the world' right now (but would definitely rather watch an Omega match over an Orton match).It's also utterly meaningless simply because it is subjective.

Orton is obviously very good but he's also exceptionally boring. I don't particularly care for him and were I to be picking someone for the current 'best in the world', he wouldn't even be the top guy in WWE. 

I think this is Omega being a heel here with his comments, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't.

Edited by DA Baracus

Different strokes for different folks. I don’t blame people for having Orton near their Mount Rushmore - I wouldn’t, but he carries a lot of what people value in a wrestler. 

Similarly with Omega. On pure wrestling ability I don’t think it was even an argument he was the best in the world a few years ago, but as Bert says there’s guys in his own company and elsewhere now better than him. I think he knows that too, but leaning into the whole debate is exactly what his character should be doing.