The AEW Thread

TheGoon

That show really was fantastic. Enjoyed Cody/Goldust the most but Bucks/Lucha Bros was a MOTY contender as well and everything else was good-great. The ending was terrific as well. Moxkey can be a huge star for them and Omega’s a really good opening programme. 

It’s very, very early days and we won’t fully know what AEW’s all about until TV rolls around. If we’ve got at least two more shows similar to tonight though I’ll be very happy.

Guest bernardblack

That show was extremely good. Refreshing having a ppv of that length of just quality matches and no nonsense.

Hope they can keep it up

Btw. I'm not likely to be sold on Cody Rhodes being an exceptional wrestler. He's a solid wrestler who now and again does turn in an exceptional performance. However, there's no way I can look at him and see anything other than a total fucking star. He's carried himself brilliantly from the minute he left WWE. Even in the run up to this show, and the way he was talking about the show, he just came across so naturally and he feels like a big deal.

He IS an exceptional tag wrestler though. As is Dustin. So them two vs. the Bucks is going to be pure filth.

I'm coming at it from a perspective of someone who likely won't watch much (although may in future) and will catch up on the news of it via podcasts/recaps and the like, but it was a bit disappointing to see the HHH digs Cody had.  Should be taking the higher ground on things like that.

Still, sounds like a really good show, and if they can keep all that up then there's definitely some healthy competition.  Can only be a good thing going forward to have two strong companies (if WWE returns to that level)

On 26/05/2019 at 03:03, TheGoon said:

It has its place imo. Goldie’s taken it a wee bit far though.

Yep, needs to be done in a blow off match at the end of a long feud in a cage or a cell IMO.  Not a random match, even though the participants were brers.  It didn't feel like a match that needed it.

7 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Yep, needs to be done in a blow off match at the end of a long feud in a cage or a cell IMO.  Not a random match, even though the participants were brers.  It didn't feel like a match that needed it.

I think they just wanted to have the best and most dramatic match they could. Dustin is clearly finishing up now so going out on as big a high as possible makes sense. Going out on two certified bangers would do a lot to cement his legacy.

Great PPV. Enjoyed every match actually. A novel feeling these days to watch a PPV with no screwy finishes, poor booking decisions and be wholly satisfied by the end of it. Cody v Dustin (which got 5 stars from Meltzer btw) was my match of the night. Brilliant, old-school blood match with superb storytelling before, during and after the match. Cody can really go when he has a story and when he puts the work in. And what a way for Dustin to go out too (the match against the Bucks should be a cracker too). Also enjoyed the joshi match, which is definitely something I need to get more in to and the Bucks v Lucha Bros was a scorcher too although I'm surprised the Bucks won. Jericho going over in the main event was the right result. He's their biggest star at the moment and they'll be able to build up to him v Page well. Really excited by John Moxley's debut too. I haven't listened to his podcast with Jericho yet but by all accounts, it's a great listen. Was cool seeing Awesome Kong in the women's match too. That was my first time seeing Kylie Rae and I was impressed and Britt Baker's superkick was excellent. SCU v OWE was a great match too and flowed really well. The Battle Royale was a little slow at times and could have done with more eliminations earlier on but it was a good showcase for their lower card and lower mid-card talent. Thought Joey Janela, Luchasaurus, Dustin Thomas, Ace Romero, Jimmy Havoc and MJF (great heel and definite future star) all came off particularly well. Kip Sabien v Sammy Guevara was a little paint by numbers but a good showing for Kip Sabien nonetheless. I really like their title belt and Bret Hart and Jack Whitehall was certainly not a crossover I was expecting :lol:

JR and Excalibur really grew into their role together and clicked better as the night went on. Alex Marvez was awful though but I hope he can improve. 

Overall it was a brilliant show. Will obviously be much harder to put on shows of this standard on a week to week basis but I'm looking forward to seeing how they progress from here. 

31 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Double or nothing apparently done 98,000 PPV buys @ £49.99 a piece in the states. 

That's some pretty serious money for a promotions first ever event. 

I assume you mean $50? Even so, that's very expensive. I enjoy a spot of wrestling, but I doubt I'd ever pay that.