The AEW Thread

TheGoon

1 minute ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

And THAT is why I didn't like the Exploding Barbed wire match. What a crock of shit. That "explosion" at the end was fucking pathetic. 

The match itself was great, the ending was a dud. 

I just saw clips of these "explosions".

Incredibly amateur looking stuff, which is the only way it will look in a wrestling match unless they actually blow themselves up. Don't fucking do them then!

Massive ECW feeling to it, which is not a good thing. 

Also Christian is about as top a talent as they can hope to attract. There will be some people complaining that it's not a huge name with all the shouts of Cena and the likes. If they use him correctly, he'll be the best thing in the company but I suspect they'll book him into oblivion like Miro and his best pals bullshit.

Just saw a clip of the end.  Fucking lol.  I assume it was botched in some way, but fucking hell.  Did they really need the "explosions" part of the stipulation to make it work, given you're never going to satisfy the bloodlust of the sort of people who like these kinds of matches? Bet the guy covering Moxley at the end wishes he could have dug a hole through the mat and stayed there.

So in the Stupid Stipulations with Stupider Ending Awards, who wins it?  This one, or Mysterio getting his "eye out"?  WWE get pass marks purely for having Rollins chew scenery and throw up afterward.

Edited by forameus

2 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Such a shame for those involved in the main event ending. I've seen Eddie get some stick for selling it, but being in the middle of the ring he's got no idea what it looked like and had to go with it.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. It's a farcical stipulation that's best left in Japan. The people in charge at AEW need to learn that they can say no. 

I love AEW and have seen every second of their programming since they began, but for me this show was more of a miss than a hit. It was also way, way too long. 

I’d say again I thought this was completely fine until the end and would’ve been remembered fondly had there been an actual explosion. The concept behind Kingston helping Mox is cool and should’ve been a huge babyface moment, the execution...yeah. 

Overall I enjoyed the show. Did think too many of the matches went too long, but all of them were pretty good. Still think Christian as just a surprise would’ve been amazing, but they obviously wanted to squeeze out some extra buys. 

Interested to see how they cover for the main event on Wednesday.  

That fucking clip. I called it that it'd (That gimmick match) be a complete dud and the end made it so. It doesn't matter what has gone on prior, that makes it look like complete amateur hour. On a lesser scale, the same happened with Roman Reigns vs Kevin Owens at the Rumble with the handcuff spot. All their good work went to waste due to that.

There's just no need it daft spots like that when they can have a memorable, violent match without it.

Good use of Vince McMahon quote from Bully Ray:

ETA: Christian is a top signing. Thought he was a massive high in TNA. Underused by WWE as just being Edge's shiter mate. He looked like he could be set for a decent storyline after the Rumble match as well but just completely disappeared.

Edited by Ludo*1

...How? The PPV’s likely to break 100k buys again which wipes the floor with anything TNA has ever done. Lazy comparison to make for one gubbed finish and an appearance from Christian.

Aye. It's far too early for TNA comparisons. Let's face it. These f**k ups haven't happened. But the problem is... this is a big f**k up on a big stage. And the stink is going to be hard to shift for that reason. 

Christian Cage was outstanding in TNA too btw, so if you want to make THAT comparison, it's not exactly a negative one. 

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Corny is going 'all in' on AEW on the old Twitter.

I'd say that there's actually a good few things he could correctly go nuts on. While it was a good show, really annoying tendencies came through from the very first match and didn't really let up.

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Corny is going 'all in' on AEW on the old Twitter.

To be fair, with stuff like this, I don't blame him:

I know the Shaq thing wasn't last night, but jeezo.