The AEW Thread

TheGoon

10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I mean what does that leave? WWE and NXT as an entity, AEW and associates who are appearing to be reforming the territories for the modern day almost. 

And then ROH who have aligned themselves with no-one and are dead in the water now. 

WWE did have Evolve and I suppose Progress/ICW/wXw for interntational flavour. Problem from a freshness point of view is that they are quite clearly below their heirarchy of Raw/Smackdown/NXT/(NXTUK/Indies) by the time they filter through talent has been homogenised into the WWE system.

Whereas AEW have been willing to take talent from NWA/MLW etc and have them be key parts of their main show. That keeps it relatively fresh and that bit of buzz around it.

ROH were basically screwed once bought by Sinclair. A billion dollar company that tucked it away on their own (often regional) channels purely for cheap content to fill the hours. Sinclair haven't really tried to branch out from their own bubble. At least when Impact was bought by a TV company they've tried to breakthrough as Anthem are trying to grow their own national cable network(s).

RoH did align themselves with companies as well in NJPW and CMLL. Its just NJPW have pretty much split off for their own thing (NJOA/Strong) and looking more open to working with other companies as they themselves have outgrown the ROH bubble.

54 minutes ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

I can't decide if I love or hate this. 

I like it, so long as this is the extent of Tony K’s involvement on camera. He should still be a presence but never a full on character.

AEW did really well in the ratings again, but like a lot of their shows I felt Dynamite never really had a hook for you to tune in the next week. Obviously not every show can end with a cliffhanger, but there’s nothing that makes next week’s show appointment viewing, which makes it difficult to retain some of the new viewers they’re picking up. 

They're going for a long term building of a great storyline that will end in Hangman's redemption and him winning the belt.

I don't think they'll rush this and it will probably be about a year before it climaxes. They'll weave loads of other stories in as well, but that will always the underlying one for Page.

8 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

They're going for a long term building of a great storyline that will end in Hangman's redemption and him winning the belt.

I don't think they'll rush this and it will probably be about a year before it climaxes. They'll weave loads of other stories in as well, but that will always the underlying one for Page.

Genuinely some of the best long term storytelling I've ever witnessed in wrestling, so many small details  and  you just know the payoff when it comes will be huge.

Just now, Bert Raccoon said:

Genuinely some of the best long term storytelling I've ever witnessed in wrestling, so many small details  and  you just know the payoff when it comes will be huge.

It will be incredible. His character stuff just now is great with the 'sad millenium cowboy' stuff and being pished and hanging around with the Dark Order.

The story to how he got to that situation is great, starting with him not winning the title and doubting himself.

Little bit of drama with JR getting excited on his podcast saying that the dive over the top rope move onto a group of bodies is a shit move. Some guy called Brandon Cutler quoting JRs exact words and saying he's going to perform that move because he's progressive.

Finally, Dax from FTR then giving that guy a public slap down on twitter.

Edited by Ludo*1

54 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

JR is an out of touch dinosaur on a lot of things, but he ain't wrong about suicide dives. It's a dangerous move that gets next to zero reaction these days because you see one in every match.

Its also so overly telegraphed these days esp. in tag matches, as the guys on the floor tend to huddle in a little group first waiting on the guy to fly over the ropes

Suicide dives through the ropes are massively overused and lost their effect long since everyone does it, but they're often done fine from a logic point of view and don't look daft since the guy on the outside usually turns around just in time to get hit with it. They need to pack them in though as they're so overdone.

It's the big dives off of some something on to a group of guys that is the biggest issue. It looks so stupid. There's a group of guys all huddled up looking up at the diver and just waiting for it. When it hits they all scatter like pins at the bowling. It's so dumb and totally takes me out of matches. It's a kayfabe killer.

Guest bernardblack
Its also so overly telegraphed these days esp. in tag matches, as the guys on the floor tend to huddle in a little group first waiting on the guy to fly over the ropes

Agreed. The Spanish fly is also massively over-used IMO.

Aye I’m not the biggest fan of JR’s work at the minute but the dives onto big groups of people are the absolute worst. Use them in comedy matches or once in a blue moon, but the regularity of them is absurd.