The AEW Thread

TheGoon

On 09/05/2020 at 13:23, Ludo*1 said:

It's absolutely mental that wrestling viewership has dropped significantly the way it has done over the years. AEW is averaging around 800,000-900,000 per week and considered to be doing very well and that was before this pandemic. TNA were doing pretty much double that 10 year ago and were being laughed at.  WWE are currently posting TNA numbers for Raw,

As much as this (Again, before the pandemic) has been painted as a new golden era for wrestling due to WWE having legitimate competition there seems to have been a sizeable drop off.

I certainly don't watch wrestling live these days. I do play catchup though, social media, network. I suspect due to these options, plays a big part on live numbers. Things that turn me off from watching live, are adverts, filler matches, gymnastic type matches & women's wrestling, it is ok in small doses, but half the shows seems to be about the women, I just don't have that much interest in them, which means I don't have much interest in watching a live show, when half of it is about them.

I certainly don't watch wrestling live these days. I do play catchup though, social media, network. I suspect due to these options, plays a big part on live numbers. Things that turn me off from watching live, are adverts, filler matches, gymnastic type matches & women's wrestling, it is ok in small doses, but half the shows seems to be about the women, I just don't have that much interest in them, which means I don't have much interest in watching a live show, when half of it is about them.

Woman and flippy shit belong in the kitchen type post.

Watched through this morning. Skipped the woman’s matches because I’ve not got in any interest in AEWs woman division sadly.

That stampede match was brilliant, Ortiz not being able to swim and the whole Matt Hardy in the pool bit was hilarious.

1 hour ago, TrebleTwenty said:

I’d say you’re the issue then, not the wrestling.

7 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Watched through this morning. Skipped the woman’s matches because I’ve not got in any interest in AEWs woman division sadly.

That stampede match was brilliant, Ortiz not being able to swim and the whole Matt Hardy in the pool bit was hilarious.

I’m not having a go or anything, but how would you get interested if you don’t watch it? Shida/Rose was good and one of the better built matches on the show.

1 minute ago, TrebleTwenty said:

Really? The viewing figures obviously show that I'm the one with the issue.

If there’s people there put off by women’s wrestling then that is most certainly a them problem.

I’m not having a go or anything, but how would you get interested if you don’t watch it? Shida/Rose was good and one of the better built matches on the show.

Watching on dynamite where I give them a chance none of the female characters built actually interest me unfortunately. So I’m not going to sit through their matches on a 4 hour card when not watching it live.

Female wrestling doesn't interest me at all. That's my problem.

Female wrestlers not even able to build an interesting character is their problem. Britt Baker is alright on the mic, but other than that? Meh.

The stadium stampede match started off pretty all over the place, as is to be expected. Once they all broke apart though it just picked up with them all moving in to the spots etc. It was excellent entertainment. I marked out like f**k at hangman's entrance having just said to the Mrs that they should have him come in, in that manner. It was an absolute spot fest with the highlight being the very deep swimming pool for me, but it was excellent. It was a pretty solid show all in (no pun intended, with it being Don) ladder match was a little weak for in ring action, Darby could have been utilised better but seing the finish it was clear they were pushing the new guy. I don't think Cody winning was the right call, it could have made for a better long term story him losing. Shida winning was the right move, you can't have a monster as champion for too long despite the ongoing situation. Mjf and jungle boy had a very solid match and it's clear both guys can work but I reckon mjf is the only one who will be top level.

The women's division started off awful, continued to be awful and they have since started to rectify it. The lockdown etc has fucked what they were doing to do that but there is some good talent in that division. Just needs a bit more polishing and TV time to make it work.