The AEW Thread

TheGoon

8 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Dare I say it, but a lot of the Cornette criticisms are looking extremely on point right now.

It's so frustrating as they've plenty of brilliant talents with some old guys that can still go and add something to the product such as Billy Gunn, Sting and ill admit, I've not seen him for a long time but Dustin Rhodes.

Get the main talent on Dynamite. Let the older guys work with some of the greener talent on Dark and get back to basics by getting rid of the 100s of titles.

With talent like MJF, Danielson & the likes of Regal able to sell the shit out of things, AEW should be absolute must watch for the 2 hours it's on TV. Far too much filler shite.

Seemingly ROH is getting its own show after Final Battle, so think things will improve after that. However, the obvious issue is that Tony Khan isn't a very good booker overall.

Khan’s highs as a booker are pretty high. He’s still produced stuff like Hangman, MJF/Punk and Wardlow’s story - but particularly since the ROH purchase things have gotten noticeably sloppier. 

He’s leaning on crutches like distraction finishes, run ins and factions far too much - and it’s completely different to how the early years of AEW were booked. Non-clean finishes and shenanigans were a novelty, and worked as a result. 

But now, there’s too many guys, too many bekts and too many factions - and those long-term stories and clear paths for wrestlers that were there before are few and far between. 

It’s not bad, it’s still by far the most enjoyable show every week - and the in ring action is never likely to disappoint, but it does feel like they’ve lost the run of themselves a bit, especially after All Out. 

Nothing beyind sakvage, he coukd just really do with either a booker - or someone to at least oversee creative who can cut out repition, and make sure those longer term stories are mapped out again. You simply can’t be a full time wrestling booker and be as hands on as he is in his two other roles, though I doubt he’ll ever admit that which is a bit worrying. 

Edited by TheGoon

Most of the ROH stuff doesn't bother me. Just because you know most of it would be happening anyway. JAS v. BCC and all the variations we've seen. Jericho loves to drag out his feuds. WarJoe might have still happened since Joe would have disappeared over the summer for his TV show. FTR would be one less star but still kicking about with the AAA & IWGP titles.

Just would have lost The Embassy. Which might have still existed in some form as I could see the original attempt at Tully Blanchard Enterprises.

Hopefully the rumours are true that Final Battle will see the announcement of a weekly ROH show.

AEW did formalise the creative process when they promoted people into positions. Plans have at times been scuppered of course All Out, Andrade, Hangman's concussion.

On 06/11/2022 at 01:28, TheGoon said:

Khan’s highs as a booker are pretty high. He’s still produced stuff like Hangman, MJF/Punk and Wardlow’s story - but particularly since the ROH purchase things have gotten noticeably sloppier.  

The booking of Wardlow since his MJF feud os one of the most monumental f**k ups of the modern era. Why the f**k is he in a tag team with Samoa Joe? An absolute nonsense.

12 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

The booking of Wardlow since his MJF feud os one of the most monumental f**k ups of the modern era. Why the f**k is he in a tag team with Samoa Joe? An absolute nonsense.

He’s defo stalled, but I don’t know what else you do with him at the minute. Putting him in the actual main event would’ve been daft, he wasn’t ready and still isn’t. 

(Though if there’s a man to beat MJF) 

I don't think anyone has persisted on wrestling TV that I have no interest in seeing for longer than Jeff Jarrett.

He's never been interesting to me at all. He sounds like a whiny wee batch when he keeps having digs at former employers. It's been his shtick for 25 years now and is still not interesting. 

After being pretty hopeless since arriving, last night was when Saraya really arrived in AEW.  That was the promo she was always capable of cutting.  Only hope now is that she hasn't been cleared prematurely, and isn't just going to break down again at some point.  She deserves another shot.

I don't like Saraya. She's been absolutely awful since arriving and her storyline makes little sense to me.

She was better last night but she came across as a whiny, bitter old gatekeeper, moaning that she had it hard so if you haven't suffered like her then you don't belong. It's pish. Baker did bust her arse building the women's division in AEW and had easily been the best women's wrestler since AEW began. 

Not a fan of her.

Sting v. Jarrett the true PPV alternative to the WWE in the 21st Century. WCW, WWA, TNA & now AEW. So long and storied :) This won't even be the first seemingly random 2v2 tag match between them.

Final Resolution 2006: Christian & Sting v. Jarrett & Monty Brown
Sacrifice 2006: Samoa Joe & Sting v. Jarrett & Scott Steiner
No Surrender 2010: Kevin Nash & Sting v. Jarrett & Samoa Joe
Full Gear 2022: Darby Allin & Sting v. Jarrett & Jay Lethal

Danielson & Sammy was terrific, and agree Saraya was much better this week, but still not fully convinced on her. 

I’ve got negative interest in Jarrett, and the Firm thing isn’t clicking for me at all. Feel like it’s weighing MJF down a bit to be honest.

MJF needs to win the Full Gear main event here to put a bit of a spark back into AEW which is becoming a bit bloated and stale-  I think William Regal will be involved - MJF will not wear his ring but Regal will give him his brass knuckles to help him win - Regal leaves the Blackpool Combat Club and becomes MJF’s mentor- Mox gets his deserved break - MJF does a really long run as champ (at least a year) and then the belt can go to Omega or Page in a match for the ages

I'd agree that MJF doesn't need Regal, but I don't think it hurts him to have him.  And having him in the BCC right now isn't really helping anyone.  Moxley doesn't need him.  Danielson isn't really that relevant, and the others don't really come into it.  I've said it before that it would give MJF a perfect first feud to start things off right if Regal turns, Moxley can get written off and have a break, then Danielson can come into it with his history with Regal.  And given he seems happy enough to lose, he can put MJF over strong and set him up going forward.  

Just seen the card for tonight's episode of Dynamite. Looks decent enough. However the main event can f**k so far off. You'll be utterly shocked to hear that it's Claudio and Danielson vs Jericho and Guevera. So fucking done with the BCC vs JAS stuff. Hopefully after Full Gear this pish will go away.

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Just seen the card for tonight's episode of Dynamite. Looks decent enough. However the main event can f**k so far off. You'll be utterly shocked to hear that it's Claudio and Danielson vs Jericho and Guevera. So fucking done with the BCC vs JAS stuff. Hopefully after Full Gear this pish will go away.

Haven't watched any AEW in the last 2 weeks. Might just not bother with it again tonight. 

On 16/11/2022 at 15:47, Lyle Lanley said:

Haven't watched any AEW in the last 2 weeks. Might just not bother with it again tonight. 

It was actually the first match on! Could have been a match of the year contender for all I know as I didn't watch it. Lasts 20 minutes if folk fancy watching the show but skipping that match.

Rest of the show was pretty good though. The Acclaimed music video was tremendous (Captain Insano!). Swerve vs Bowens was good. Really like Swerve. Guy has a great look, has a real swagger about him, can talk well and is great in the ring. Would like to see him get a good push soon.

The trios match was great. I liked how Death Triangle aren't idiots who don't watch their own show and don't know what is going on in the promotion in general.

Pac said that they've seen the videos and know what's going on and that if The Elite fancy turning up on Saturday then they can have a shot at the titles. That match was made official shortly after.

Page vs Bandido was good. Bandido is great. Very enjoyable to watch.

Joe getting added to the Hobbs and Wardlow match is fine with me. Three big dudes kicking f**k out of each other should be fun.

Toni Storm vs Anna Jay was fine.

Didn't like Britt Baker going down the whole 'I respect you' route with Saraya, and Saraya is still awful at promos.

Mox and MJF cut a couple of decent promos.

Full Gear looks like it will be a cracking show. Most matches look great but think Jungle Boy vs Luchasaurus might steal the show.

Saraya is pish. Her promos have always been pish, her accent is pish, her ego is off the charts and she thinks she's the fucking business.

Don't get the hype, personally. 

Britt Baker is a much better talent overall IMO.