The AEW Thread

TheGoon

6 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Also, I didn't catch his match with Yuta the other week, but the fucking size of MJF. Guy has gone from a well built light heavyweight to an absolute unit in about 5 months.

Haha aye, said this during his match with Yuta. Guy is fucking built! Mean bacne though.

He's quite clearly winning the title at Full Gear, probably clean given the stuff with Regal (unless Regal turns and becomes MJF's manager, which isn't inconceivable). He's an absolute star. Looks the part, one of the best talkers around, can work the crowd fantastically and is great in the ring. 

The Hangman bump looked pretty innocuous when viewed 'live' (I've just watched it) but some videos kicking around show it was an 'unfortunate' landing. Glad they stopped the match and got him out of there (mind when Matt Hardy was knocked out and they let him continue?!). Hopefully he'll be ok and you know he won't be rushed back. The match was going pretty well and heating up nicely until then. Mox loves to fucking blade. The camera even showed him doing it on the outside then putting the blade in to the hole in the ring steps!

Agree with the comments about Dalton Castle. Haven't seen him before but loved his stuff. Very entertaining.

How fucking dumb is Darby Allin? The answer is 'very', and he got comically stuck under a door and beaten up as a result.

Just a random observation, but AEW has been really good the last two or three weeks. Seems the media scrum has almost given the company as a whole a kick up the arse and even the normally beige hour of Rampage has been pretty decent.

On that note, and with hindsight, I think I’d actually be quite happy if AEW were to empty CM Punk and Kenny Omega. Personally I’ve never really got Punk. Can’t say I’ve ever found his matches overly entertaining albeit he’s good on the mic in heel mode. Omega is an insanely talented performer but I’ve never really taken to the guy. Ultimately I don’t think AEW need either of them and the roster is pretty stacked anyway.

Would like to see the Young Bucks back though, they at least offer something to the tag team division.

Edited by 8MileBU

From everything that's come out, it seems like it'd be extremely harsh to punt anyone that wasn't Punk and Steel.  It really doesn't sound like they did much, simply took offence to being publicly called out.  I expect the entire Elite will eventually be back.  We've probably also not seen the best of Omega in AEW, perhaps ever, but definitely not for a long time.  Supposedly he was absolutely broken going into the lead up to losing the title to Hangman, and I doubt he was totally 100% when they brought him back for this run.  He could probably do with this enforced rest, get properly ready, then come back for a proper run. 

I thought Punk's promos and matches were great. Some of the stuff with MJF was brilliant.

He might have legitimate reasons to be raging (folk going off script in live promos to take shots is poor stuff), but his way of handling it was not clever. Sad that the big angle between him and MJF, culminating in MJF winning the title (probably later than Full Gear) won't happen now (Mox vs MJF will be great though, and MJF will be winning the belt at Full Gear*).

Omega and the Bucks will surely be back and that's good as I enjoy them all. Perhaps though they might not longer be EVPs? Maybe that's why this is all taking so long?

Shame that Punk is almost certainly done, not just because he's been great, but if they were somehow able to work this in to a storyline then him vs Omega, him vs Page and him (and someone else) vs the Bucks would all be absolutely tremendous.

Reckon he'll go back to WWE for a last run? Surprise Rumble entrant (although Cody is winning the Rumble)?

*Aided by Regal perhaps? Who will become his new manager? Also MJF needs to drop The Firm ASAP.

As great as Punk has been at times. He's now had two major surgeries in under 6 months. So as long as he doesn't come back anywhere else. I'll find it easier to write him off as injury prone and be able to move on. We never got the Summer of Punk his title reign was due to be, and we were never getting the Punk v. MJF post All Out angle as planned since he was injured again.

The Elite will be back. As a Trios they'll be able to have plenty of bangers with random teams. Which is the only reason the titles were introduced to give it some structure. The Bucks as a tag have plenty of life in them, as does Omega as a singles (Omega v. Starks please).

Although it was said earlier above we might not have seen the best of Omega in AEW. I think we have. He might well have better matches, but the title reign and Hangman feud will struggle to be topped due to the emotional investment everyone had in it.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

(Mox vs MJF will be great though, and MJF will be winning the belt at Full Gear*).

*Aided by Regal perhaps? Who will become his new manager? Also MJF needs to drop The Firm ASAP.

I think the Regal stuff has legs.  I'm not sure what continuing with the BCC really does, there's not too many stories left to tell other than finding another faction to go up against.  Danielson seems happy enough to feature but not be on top, Mox will likely be dropping to MJF and going for a much needed rest, Claudio and Wheeler are just...there.  Not sure outside of isolated singles feuds there's a whole lot there.  Having Regal turn and ally with MJF would breathe new life into everything. Even give a perfect first feud to have someone like Danielson go up against both MJF and Regal and put over the former big.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Shame that Punk is almost certainly done, not just because he's been great, but if they were somehow able to work this in to a storyline then him vs Omega, him vs Page and him (and someone else) vs the Bucks would all be absolutely tremendous.

Reckon he'll go back to WWE for a last run? Surprise Rumble entrant (although Cody is winning the Rumble)?

I think this is a really interesting question and one that's not at all sealed.  On one hand, you surely, surely can't see Punk swallowing all that humble pie and going back to WWE.  He didn't particularly like Vince, but it seems like he fucking hated HHH, and although the company has now changed, it's now headed by the people he seemingly railed against.  Money talks, and I think there's still money in CM Punk, but it's surely still a big hurdle to get past.

It's clearly still something AEW will worry about, as they will if they went mental and decided to punt any of the Elite.  They'd sell their souls to get the likes of MJF, and I think the Bucks and Omega would be on that list too.  Punk going back to WWE with a live mic and a grudge would reflect badly on AEW, whether they were right to punt him or not (which they are).

It could go either way.  Personally I think the most likely situation is that he's done.  He got his big return, he got the adoration of the fans, he got - presumably - a huge stack of money.  That itch is probably scratched so that he doesn't need to go back.  

But...would he really turn down the chance to finally main event a WM?

I find it hard to see Punk returning to AEW or WWE given the bridges that he has burned with so many people. He will make any company a lot of money, but I don't know if Tony Khan or Triple H can be arsed dealing with the inevitable fall out that will happen.

Him and Ace Steel should start a podcast where they just shit on everyone in the industry. They would make a fortune.

I think Omega and the Jacksons will stay in AEW, but it'll be a dent to their egos that Jericho, Moxley and Danielson have now pretty much replaced them in the EVP roles.

I wouldn't mind seeing Omega back but I've had my fill of the Young Bucks, just can't go them at all a you're so they can stay the f**k away as far as I'm concerned.

The product has actually been far better since The EVPs and Punk had their enforced leave of absence.