The AEW Thread

TheGoon

Decent Dynamite again.

Opener was really good. They're surely building to something like a cage match between them at Full Gear. Absolutely up for that.

Swerve vs Daddy Ass was ok. The legal pish about Smart Mark Sterling owning the scissoring schtick can f**k so far off. Dreadful stuff. Any 'legal' type storyline is always pish. See also the boring crap involving Private Party and Matt Hardy.

Talking of awful storylines, the 'stealing a belt' stuff is garbage. Have always detested it. So that shite with Nyla Rose can bolt.

Danielson vs Jericho was ok, but was hoping for better. Garcia's decision felt pretty telegraphed.

WarJoe vs The Factory was meh. Wardlow is really treading water now, and can't say I'm enthused by some warring against The Embassay. They need to make Wardlow feel more relevant again. Don't care about Shawn Spears returning as I've always found him incredibly bland. Great to see FTR though and they're mad over still.

Women's match was decent, but we need to see some storyline developments here soon.

Main event was cracking. Top match and result!

The Mox and Hangman promo was absolutely fantastic. Hangman was outstanding against one of the best. It's actually made me doubt the certainty of Mox retaining next week!

Edited by DA Baracus

32 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Decent Dynamite again.

Opener was really good. They're surely building to something like a cage match between them at Full Gear. Absolutely up for that.

Swerve vs Daddy Ass was ok. The legal pish about Smart Mark Sterling owning the scissoring schtick can f**k so far off. Dreadful stuff. Any 'legal' type storyline is always pish. See also the boring crap involving Private Party and Matt Hardy.

Talking of awful storylines, the 'stealing a belt' stuff is garbage. Have always detested it. So that shite with Nyla Rose can bolt.

Danielson vs Jericho was ok, but was hoping for better. Garcia's decision felt pretty telegraphed.

WarJoe vs The Factory was meh. Wardlow is really treading water now, and can't say I'm enthused by some warring against The Embassay. They need to make Wardlow feel more relevant again. Don't care about Shawn Spears returning as I've always found him incredibly bland. Great to see FTR though and they're mad over still.

Women's match was decent, but we need to see some storyline developments here soon.

Main event was cracking. Top match and result!

The Mox and Hangman promo was absolutely fantastic. Hangman was outstanding against one of the best. It's actually made me doubt the certainty of Mox retaining next week!

Cannot disagree with any of that. Would not be against Hangman winning the title back but definitely feel we need a long run with the belt as it seems a bit all over the place currently. 

Loved the main event and a well deserved result.

My main gripe and it's been touched upon above, far too many factions and interruptions. Every. Single. Match.

I’m glad OC got a belt and a big win, really enjoyed the match. Haven’t a clue where Jungle Boy goes now - obviously more juice left, but feels like he’s lost so much monentum losing to the both of them recently.

I think the first AEW content I ever watched was a Battle Royal. In it, Orange Cassidy was in the midst of his gimmick, and just lay on the apron, and I believe Jungle Boy was pretending to be a monkey and pretending to pick bugs off Luchasaurus.  I remember thinking "is this what everyone's raving about?", it seemed absolute garbage.

Fair to say I was wrong in that, or at least it's gotten significantly better.  And those two that seemed like gimmick characters I'd never enjoy had great nights last night.  I still think the Jungle Boy stuff hasn't been handled as well as it could have been, and they could have really had one of those properly brilliant emotional storylines if they'd handled it a bit better (although Christian's injury properly fucked it too, can't help that).  But Orange Cassidy has definitely grown on me.  The shtick is a lot less grating, and it's been toned down enough to let him show that he really is very good at this stuff.  Good to see him getting a title, and Pac made him look absolutely brilliant.

One other thing, I think they're perhaps leaning a little too much into having camera cuts to MJF every few seconds, but he keeps delivering on each one.  Interesting to see where they go with the "I don't even like me" stuff, and the weird relationship with the Firm.  They seem to attempt to move him slightly towards the centre every so often, then shite it and have him go back to normal.  f**k is he good though.

I think with the MJF stuff they're doing OK, last match against Yuta showed he is actually a very good wrestler. They need to build on this, can't have him win every match by shenanigans. Flair could always play dirty but could win matches in merit as well and I think that's what MJF needs as well 

The level of depth in MJF is just astonishing. He's the most complex character I can recall seeing in wrestling probably since Mick Foley was moving away from the Mankind character into being more human but utterly messed up and broken. He's constantly building his own sort of lore. Superb stuff.

14 hours ago, forameus said:

But Orange Cassidy has definitely grown on me.  The shtick is a lot less grating, and it's been toned down enough to let him show that he really is very good at this stuff.  Good to see him getting a title, and Pac made him look absolutely brilliant.

I’m a fan of Orange Cassidy too, he’s great to watch regardless of who he’s up against and his slacker gimmick is well over with everyone. Jericho speaks really highly of him as a performer and worker too.

Jungle Boy is without doubt my fav young superstar in any promotion and his booking is really starting to frustrate. It’s been stop start for a while now and I really hope they don’t drag the arse rite out this waiting on Christian getting back fit as that is still going to be months away. 

Orange Cassidy was also a grower on me too. Didn’t get him at first and thought the gimmick was pish but he is one of my favs now too. 

These are the guys I want to see flourish along with a few others. The roster is ridiculous in size though 

Just remembered that Samoa Joe was annouced as 310 pounds, by far heavier than anyone else on the roster except Paul Wight.

I know he's a big and heavy dude (and under his 'fat' he's a built dude), but no way he's so much heavier than anyone else on the roster (over 3 and a half stone heavier than Billy Gunn for example, over 2 and half stone heavier than Jake Hager, close to two and half stone heavier than Wardlow).

Edited by DA Baracus

Either Hangman is in a very bad way or everyone is doing an incredible sell job. I fear he's legit hurt.

edit - It looks like he was knocked out cold from the clothesline. Hopefully a quick recovery for him and no concussion issues.

Edited by Sherrif John Bunnell

5 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

That was an incredible promo from MJF and Regal. Two of the best ever on the mic.

Totally agree - phenomenal work 

looks as if Hangman has been diagnosed with a concussion so he’ll be out for a while 

also looks as if it’s MJF v Moxley main event @ Full Gear and for gods sake put the belt on MJF and give a good long run as a chicken shit b*****d champion so the blow off to whoever will feel incredible 

Meltzer reporting that it's 'just' a concussion for Hangman and he's already out of hospital. That's good news considering how bad the situation appeared to be at first.

Ace Steel has also been released, so hopefully a resolution to the All Out nonsense is near.

6 hours ago, jacobsladder said:

also looks as if it’s MJF v Moxley main event @ Full Gear and for gods sake put the belt on MJF and give a good long run as a chicken shit b*****d champion so the blow off to whoever will feel incredible 

If they are booking him as a chicken shit, they aren't exactly going that route just now.

The last two weeks have been almost anti-hero in their booking of MJF. A guy who knows he's a p***k but is trying, in spite of himself, to break free of it. He's already at that tipping point where fans are no longer wanting to boo him no matter how shitty the stuff he does is.

Just glad Hangman’s alright. Wild a match that started with a moonsault off a balcony can end with such a standard move. 

Thought it was a really good episode though. Wasn’t a big Dalton Castle guy during his ROH run, but he’s really grown on me. Think the act will just keep getting more over too.