The AEW Thread

TheGoon

Whether its a work or legit its made AEW much watch TV for the next couple of weeks. For all the improvements HHH has made to get WWE the flavour of the month with the internet fans, this blows it out the water and puts all eyes back on AEW.

I can imagine Punk did get some heat from the EVP's over his calling out Page who im assuming is pretty close to the Bucks and Omega. However Punks claims of them holding people back are slightly bizarre. I would go further and say its the ex-wwe guys that are holding people back more than the EVP's. They have built up guys like MJF, Kingston, Orange Cassidy, Jurrasic Express over the last few years into stars and they constantly give the fans what they want - for example the acclaimed have got themselves over the last few months with Billy Gunn. They could have easily had them do there stuff and lose quickly, but they gave them the best match of the night. They had Cassidy against Ospreay at Forbidden door.

MJF is back and now no.1 contender which would have had everyone watching anyway if it wasnt for Punk.

I think Khan does a great job of storytelling and building angles, i think its just got too big for one person to have all the control.

Also worth pointing out that it's now came to light that Buck kicked Punk's locker room door down to get into speak to him. If that's the case, it's hardly becoming of 'EVPs' of a company and probably would justifiably result in a sore face and fist fight. I wouldn't imagine a door would be booted in for a cordial chit-chat.

Thing is, I know there's a few on here who listen to him and a few who think he's a mad old loon but Cornette (and Brian Last) have always slaughtered Omega and the Bucks. Folk used to think he was just being an old boomer raging at the folk changing the script and blurring the lines but Brian Last (who is significantly younger) has always hated them because he's said he'd heard a lot of unsavoury stuff about them that would come out in time going back to PWG days where if you didn't full the goofy shit, you'd have no chance of getting booked with PWG who were one of the bigger indy promotions in the area.

They've been adamant for the best part of 18 months, nearly two years that FTR were hired specifically to hold them down and make them look shit compared to the Bucks and the booking up until the Pinnacle suggests that. Even now, FTR have come out and been vocal about how they expected a unification bout for all the belts at all out and the plans changed under their noses for no reason. It doesn't take a genius to see that there are folk in the company who simply don't like the EVPs.

Even Cody, Brian Last went on and on and on about issues with Cody and the other EVPs and knew that for a fact for around 8 or 9 months on the podcast and most folk were like, nahhhh, they are all brothers...they'd never fight.

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Even now, FTR have come out and been vocal about how they expected a unification bout for all the belts at all out and the plans changed under their noses for no reason. It doesn't take a genius to see that there are folk in the company who simply don't like the EVPs.

FTR v. Young Bucks got thrown out on a random Dynamite after Supercard. Because they wanted to work together again but a feud was never the plan.

Bucks were facing the Hardys at Double or Nothing. The Hardys were getting the tag titles. Forbidden Door an inter-promotional affair. The Bucks/Kenny/Tony Khan knew Omega would hopefully be back in time for All Out, the Trios tournament and the feud against Cole & Co.

When the Bucks subbed in for the Hardys people started fantasy booking Bucks v. FTR III for All Out since it was the big PPV coming up. Certainly FTR wanted it but it was never the plan. Just people fantasy booking what they wanted to see because it made sense in isolation.

https://comicbook.com/wwe/news/aew-ftr-young-bucks-all-out-why-not-happening/

Wheeler

I'm very happy with this match Sunday that we're going to have. But I thought that was the direction to go, us versus The Young Bucks for all the marbles, as they say. I think the way things lined up kind of naturally. There was no plan in place, but like a lot of things happen that changed the title scene, like our babyface turn. Was it something that we had thought about like a planned far out in advance? No

How many belts do FTR have now? 

I thought Tony Khan was the booker now after the dreadful Cody vs Ogogo booking?

The booking definitely needs help though. Far too often it's all over the place. A bit issue is that there's just too many folk in the roster.

Edited by DA Baracus

16 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

How many belts do FTR have now? 

I thought Tony Khan was the booker now after the dreadful Cody vs Ogogo booking?

The booking definitely needs help though. Far too often it's all over the place. A bit issue is that there's just too many folk in the roster.

3 = AAA, ROH, IWGP (aka New Japan).

I don't think it's too many people that's been the problem. It's dealing with injuries and other outside factors.

CM Punk, Adam Cole, Kyle O'Reilly, Thunder Rosa, Kris Statlander, Red Velvet, Santana. Leyla Hirsch.

Miro, Samoa Joe, Jeff Hardy.

This year they've held off on moving stories forward because they keep trying to stick to an original plan. They also took multiple people off TV just to do the MJF reveal for All Out.

Tony Khan isn't trigger happy enough. He's got all these bullets in his gun, but he's hoarding them worse than someone in a Zombie apocalypse.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Also worth pointing out that it's now came to light that Buck kicked Punk's locker room door down to get into speak to him. If that's the case, it's hardly becoming of 'EVPs' of a company and probably would justifiably result in a sore face and fist fight. I wouldn't imagine a door would be booted in for a cordial chit-chat.

Thing is, I know there's a few on here who listen to him and a few who think he's a mad old loon but Cornette (and Brian Last) have always slaughtered Omega and the Bucks. Folk used to think he was just being an old boomer raging at the folk changing the script and blurring the lines but Brian Last (who is significantly younger) has always hated them because he's said he'd heard a lot of unsavoury stuff about them that would come out in time going back to PWG days where if you didn't full the goofy shit, you'd have no chance of getting booked with PWG who were one of the bigger indy promotions in the area.

They've been adamant for the best part of 18 months, nearly two years that FTR were hired specifically to hold them down and make them look shit compared to the Bucks and the booking up until the Pinnacle suggests that. Even now, FTR have come out and been vocal about how they expected a unification bout for all the belts at all out and the plans changed under their noses for no reason. It doesn't take a genius to see that there are folk in the company who simply don't like the EVPs.

Even Cody, Brian Last went on and on and on about issues with Cody and the other EVPs and knew that for a fact for around 8 or 9 months on the podcast and most folk were like, nahhhh, they are all brothers...they'd never fight.

Agree fully with this.

I think it's plain to see that the Bucks & Omega go around like they own the place and have attempted to hold people back.

If it turns into a work then fantastic, but it's a work that will have developed from real drama.

When you look at the roster, there’s still so many ‘dream matches’ yet to happen between guys, because he won’t just throw them out and as stated above, wants to stick to lomg term plans. Sometimes, it’s to the deteiment of the feuds though, and the 4 PPV setup doesen’t help in that regard. 

He won’t tend do stuff like Adam Cole vs Keith Lee, or Cesaro vs KOR, Joe vs Kingston on random shows, just for the sake of it, but he really should. 

Held out for so long on Elite vs UE it now isn’t even happening. 

6 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

When you look at the roster, there’s still so many ‘dream matches’ yet to happen between guys, because he won’t just throw them out and as stated above, wants to stick to lomg term plans. Sometimes, it’s to the deteiment of the feuds though, and the 4 PPV setup doesen’t help in that regard. 

He won’t tend do stuff like Adam Cole vs Keith Lee, or Cesaro vs KOR, Joe vs Kingston on random shows, just for the sake of it, but he really should. 

Held out for so long on Elite vs UE it now isn’t even happening. 

And never will.

Fish is gone, probably back to WWE to fall into a coaching/part time role, O'Reilly, you'll imagine will be out for a very long time with his neck and Adam Cole is most definitely not in good physical health just now.

ReDragon is another one that just felt like such a fucking waste. Them, Bucks and FTR in a feud where they just all utterly despise one another and put on bangers would have been tremendous.

18 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Agree fully with this.

I think it's plain to see that the Bucks & Omega go around like they own the place and have attempted to hold people back.

If it turns into a work then fantastic, but it's a work that will have developed from real drama.

Is it? Don't really see that.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Also worth pointing out that it's now came to light that Buck kicked Punk's locker room door down to get into speak to him. If that's the case, it's hardly becoming of 'EVPs' of a company and probably would justifiably result in a sore face and fist fight. I wouldn't imagine a door would be booted in for a cordial chit-chat

Even Vince waited for Bret to get out of the shower…

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Strange. I think it's blatantly obvious but fair enough.

Who have they attempted to hold back though? I’m not a massive Elite fan, but there hasn’t really been anything negative said about them from anyone that’s departed/on the roster that I can mind 

1 minute ago, TheGoon said:

Who have they attempted to hold back though? I’m not a massive Elite fan, but there hasn’t really been anything negative said about them from anyone that’s departed/on the roster that I can mind 

I'd imagine the NDAs have a lot to do with that. 

In Cornette's "review" of the backstage fight news, Brian Last alludes to a lot of info about the EVPs that isn't yet in the public domain but has been widely known within wrestling for a fair while. Apparently Omega completely fucked up last week's talent meeting also. 

1 minute ago, TheGoon said:

Ooft 

BED32E67-15E3-4533-8F50-F6AFD59FC859.jpeg

Reckon Steel will be punted for using a weapon and the biting, if those are true. Would Punk quit though if his pal gets fired?

Will anyone notice Nakazawa being suspended? How will we be able to tell?

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Reckon Steel will be punted for using a weapon and the biting, if those are true. Would Punk quit though if his pal gets fired?

Will anyone notice Nakazawa being suspended? How will we be able to tell?

Nakazawa should've been dragged in front of the Hague for some of the brutal shite he's produced on screen over the last couple of years. 

6 minutes ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

Nakazawa should've been dragged in front of the Hague for some of the brutal shite he's produced on screen over the last couple of years. 

The baby oil nonsense? Aye, brutal. Would be shite to wrestle him and then be covered in it.