The AEW Thread

TheGoon

You can actually feel AEWs momentum stalling a bit at the moment. Jericho all over the place stinking up everything he touches. Punk still injured. Plus a re-run of the beyond boring Bucks/Page guff no doubt on every dynamite for the foreseeable.

Coupled with what could be a resurgence of wrestling oriented WWE product it could be an interesting couple of months.

Yeah, this feels like Tony Khan's first real pressure point. With Rampage doing terribly, accusations of him not communicating with talent (which has led to a major revamp backstage), a horrific injury list, WWE demanding viewers at the moment and a whole host of his original 'stars' now stinking up the place like Jericho means Khan has a tricky path to navigate over the next little while.

Once the injuries clear up, everything else should fall into place but this is probably the first time he's been on the back foot a little.

It will be a big test for them going forward.  They could always fall back on the fact that WWE was usually hopeless, but if they turn that around, it could lead to people starting to drift away from the product.  At the same time though, I don't think the concept of a "war" for ratings really exists anymore.  It's never been easier to be a fan of more than one thing, so even if AEWs quality stalls or goes down, I'm not sure it would ever be enough to see people abandon it (not many abandoned WWE when they were much worse).

Battle of the Belts and Quake by the Lake clears the decks ahead of All Out. Creative i'm not too worried. It's entirely subjective. People online hate on Jericho or the Undisputed Elite and yet the ratings don't drop off a cliff when they're in the mix. Moving to TBS they've been pretty consistent in the 900k+ range regardless. Rampage being a Friday 10pm in Summer should be hitting its low point. Curious to see if it recovers. It'll help if they start putting some more stars on again.

Overall creatively, the sooner Punk is back the better. The men's World title needs to move on. It should also see MJF return if that's a work.

The changes in the background should be beneficial. Although when the news of Jonathan Gresham's "quitting" came out. A breakdown of how creative works came out on Fightful. It just sounds like they've formalised what was in place. As Dutt, Buck, and Marshall were already working as coaches, who would be the ones to pass things on to Tony Khan. Madison Rayne has the potential to be a decent hire. Between her stints in RoH and Impact she'll know a few of the faces and I don't think AEW had an actual women's coach to go to (Dustin/Kenny getting credit. Deeb being more an active in-ring talent).

WWE changes I don't think will make much difference short-term. The first batch of people had their 3 year contracts come up recently and those staying will be on multi-year deals. The ex-WWE/NXT/Covid hires will be on multi-year deals as well. The indies are largely being picked clean. It's also on a different night so isn't going to take away any eyeballs unless there's a return to the Wednesday Night Wars.

They always fall into a bit of a lull in the peroid between PPVs, but when it comes to about 3 weeks out and the card begins to take shape/feuds are heading towards conclusions it’s mostly really good. Was assuming Battle of the Belts would provide more of a bridge, but they just don’t feel like big deals. 

11 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

They always fall into a bit of a lull in the peroid between PPVs, but when it comes to about 3 weeks out and the card begins to take shape/feuds are heading towards conclusions it’s mostly really good. Was assuming Battle of the Belts would provide more of a bridge, but they just don’t feel like big deals. 

Original plan when deal was signed was mini-PPVs. 

When the 1st one came along nearly 2 years later TNT were only giving them an hour and they've fallen into this format. I'm still convinced Battle of the Belts was intended to be a once a year event with different names for the other specials. 

7 hours ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

JR burying Rick Knox every week is fucking tremendous. What a shite referee he is. 

People are really triggered about JR for saying that and going on a rant about the interim title.

I still think he's the best commentator on the show but the dynamic is all wrong. Not a huge fan of Excalibur but the Twitter crowd seem to love him and Tony Schiavone doesn't add much. Taz is excellent but again, Excalibur seems to think he's the play by play guy and the colour commentator at times so crowds everyone out.

I think they're using JR a lot better than they used to.  When he was on for the whole show, it just felt like an old man completely out of time.  Now he's coming in for matches here and there it's a lot better as he still has a lot to offer, but last night he seemed to always be there again.  He doesn't have it in him to properly lead a broadcast, and often finds himself just adding weird comments under everyone else.  The interim title comment seemed out of nowhere and didn't really add much.  If you take JR out of that, I quite like the team they've got.  There's a relaxed atmosphere to the coverage that WWE could never match (although might be more possible now).  Seems like a few guys genuinely enjoying themselves but not in a way that detracts from the product, whereas WWE always seems like they're always reaching for the branding and rehearsed lines.

Consistently impressed with AEW's weekly programming now.  With FITE it's easy to watch on a Thursday morning, and there's consistently stuff in there you want to see, with at least one "big" match each show.  I was skeptical about them just running four big shows a year, but I can completely see their reasoning now.  Much better to build towards massive shows if they can keep their weekly shows at that elevated level.

18 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I recommend this week's Dynamite. It's mental in many ways. Definitely gave a reason to watch next week.

Its Happening The Office GIF by NBC

I thought they were saving that for the PPV. Odd to give away free on TV. What will the PPV main event be then?