The AEW Thread

TheGoon

2 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

AEW removed MJF’s merchandise from the website and he’s been removed from the roster. 

That promo is the best I’ve seen for years. 

If they don't make an arse of it and bring him back in like two weeks, it could be red hot.

It's hard to see where they go with him though in terms of his status. He's definitely someone that fans just love to hate but with that promo, he's tapped into something very real that's going on in America especially just now with many millions of millenials and gen Zs happy to be fired to get out of a job they don't want and regardless of his gimmick and past despicable (storyline) actions making him an instant heat magnet, he walked out of the arena last night with the almost universal approval of the crowd ringing in his ears. With that one 8 minute promo, fans now want to go along for the ride with him and that's really special when you're playing the absolute worst b*****d in the company.

He's never going to be the plucky underdog face that folk root for and sympathise with for a sustained period of time and although I've no doubt he'd find a groove quickly as a face and be shit hot at that, he's easily the best pure heel in wrestling for many, many years. So aye, they are in a really tricky spot now.

Edited by djchapsticks

Mjf is looking like fantastic booking by tk. He's the best natural heel of his generation, but built over months of mjf talking about wanting more money, letting everyone know when his contract is up etc and the current climate in the US, he could actually become a massive anti authority figure almost akin to what Austin was during wwfs heyday. 

Punk has been the aew fanboy since he joined the company. He's just started teaming with ftr who are/where? Members of the pinacle. 

Punk becomes a massive company man/heel. Mjf takes up the anti authority figure. You've got aew's version of Austin v mcmahon almost. Company is elevated along with mjf being lifted to the very top tier. 

It's a little conspiracy theoryish but could work dammit. 

Glad to see Miro back as well. 

The guy has totally nailed where he wants to go with his character. The way he was presented when he first arrived, blabbing on about being the best gamer in the world was a fucking joke. Here you have a monster of a guy, trained in martial arts and a history of powerlifting, hanging about with a couple of jobbers and talking about how good he is at FIFA.

Hopefully they keep the TNT title on Scorpio for a bit as he deserves to hold it but if they don't, he's got to be the destination eventually to stop it being hot-potatoed the way it has been.

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I would be happy if the Bucks and the Lucha Bros wrestled each other on every show. They are both on a different level to just about any other tag team.

Not having it

Spoiler

image.gif.2871d6e0e4bc1eea07736303e1278b0e.gif

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I'm going to go full on Cornette here and say the Bucks are utter wash. Q couple of right wing crackpots who would rather put on a smarky show than actually wrestle a believable match. 

I agree with my learned friend.

I find them boring as f**k

They are amazing when they can be serious. We saw it against FTR that they are shit hot but they just revert to daft spots constantly. 

Nothing wrong with that on occasion but it gets tired when it happens every match.

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I'm going to go full on Cornette here and say the Bucks are utter wash. 

I'm not a Cornette fan boy but I also don't get on board with everyone who hates him for being him and just a bitter old man.

Like it or not, he's one of the best minds in the game in terms of psychology and making booking decisions that make sense. I can't buy into the 'every act should be like 80s NWA' shtick but similarly, I do think wrestling for the most part should be presented as at least semi serious and by that I mean stop dropping people on their fucking heads 12 times a match, start selling moves that should in all reality, hurt and stop booking high stakes matches as anything other than feud enders. That's been his main grip with Omega and the Bucks, that they are good but choose not to be serious with it.

Cornette is batshit but he also speaks a lot of sense.

I can understand it not being to everyone’s taste, but AEW was built on their style. Without shite like BTE, it probably wouldn’t exist. 

I thought the cage match last year with the Lucha Bros was the best cage match of the 21st century, whilst others couldn’t stand it. I think it’ll always be a debate so long as they’re wrestling. 

Danielson & Cody now on the mental wrestler injury list. Like 2007 all over again.