The AEW Thread

TheGoon

On 06/03/2023 at 23:15, grumswall said:

I don't think the gunns are terrible. There's no chance they should be the champions though. Since the acclaimed dropped the titles to them, iv lost alot of interest in that division. Jj and lethal don't interest me too much, and I hope lethal goes back to roh as he's a good worker but I just don't buy him as a character. I think we might see omega v Adam Cole and the bucks against ftr moving forward

I’m also losing interest but I think it’s partly down to the tedium of how long they’re dragging out the predictable, inevitable “blood-is-thicker-than-water” heel turn by Daddy Ass to screw over The Acclaimed and side with his boys.

Edited by 8MileBU

5 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

I’m also losing interest but I think it’s partly down to the tedium of how long they’re dragging out the predictable, inevitable “blood-is-thicker-than-water” heel turn by Daddy Ass to screw over The Acclaimed and side with his boys.

I was more thinking they had set it up to get the belts back on FTR, without them going over the Acclaimed and keeping the acclaimed and ass boys for later to keep them relevant

Remember when everyone just wanted JAS and BCC to stop feuding, assuming that Jericho was likely the problem?  Seems like they just cannot let BCC end a feud no matter what.  No wonder Danielson's gone home, he just can't be arsed.

In all seriousness, the answer to a stale feud isn't just to add more people around it.  Not sure where they're planning on going with it now they've essentially got BCC (x3) vs The Dark Order (x...4? 5?) possibly including the Elite (x3).  Rumour seemed to be that their annual weapons f**k about Blood and Guts would be a women's match, but maybe they're planning two.  Or planning some other big team match for either of them.  Who the f**k knows.

Good work with moving MJF on though.  Plenty of stories you could tell using any of the three that came out, but with two months still to go, plenty of time to work in anything before they move him on to whoever they want for Forbidden Door. 

And in this week's unexpected MJF pop, the shout of "clap or you're antisemitic" got me.

Edited by forameus

11 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I don't know what Hobbs has done to get stuck in QT Marshall's jobber stable. The TNT Championship seems like bit of a career killer these days.

It's definitely been relegated from the secondary championship and the (now) International championship has taken it's spot.

In a way, I suppose it makes sense as the TV title in most promotions has historically been third or sometimes even fourth in the hierarchy but with a very decent lineage on the belt after only four years, you'd think they'd keep it strong. Instead they hot-potato it at best and completely ignore it at worst. 

I thought that was a fantastic main event, but as above a bit confused about the direction of the lot of them. 

Actually a bit gutted Jarret never won the belt, which I didn’t think would ever be the case.

Much better Dynamite this week.

The MJF stuff was a great segment that reveled in being utter fucking nonsense until Jack Perry, then the others, came out. They all did well on the mic. Could do with less Sammy though. He just annoys me, and in the bad way where I either skip through shit or stop watching.

This new women's faction is pish. The spray paint cans stuff is desperate. Not a fan.

Orange Cassidy must be one of the best wrestlers around today. His character and his in ring stuff are consistently great.

Thought Taya Valkarie's reveal was a bit flat.

Agree re Hobbs getting stuck with pish like QT. He's much better than that. Did chuckle at RJ City finally making it to Dynamite though.

All for some Mox heeling. 

Some main event. Crowd were rabid for Omega and Jericho. The ending when Page realised who were backing him up was interesting.

Also, is Adam Cole dead again?

6 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

The MJF stuff was a great segment that reveled in being utter fucking nonsense until Jack Perry, then the others, came out. They all did well on the mic. Could do with less Sammy though. He just annoys me, and in the bad way where I either skip through shit or stop watching.

This new women's faction is pish. The spray paint cans stuff is desperate. Not a fan.

Orange Cassidy must be one of the best wrestlers around today. His character and his in ring stuff are consistently great.

Agree re Hobbs getting stuck with pish like QT. He's much better than that. Did chuckle at RJ City finally making it to Dynamite though.

Some main event. Crowd were rabid for Omega and Jericho. The ending when Page realised who were backing him up was interesting.

29th of March is when Adam Cole returns in ring Bay Bay. 

22 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Yep, the women’s stable going all NWO with the spray paint is 20+ years outdated tiresome pish, although in the long run the inevitable break up and potential feuds/matches between any combo of the three could be decent. 

Orange Cassidy is easily my favourite in AEW. The guy is simply an outstanding performer and the whole slacker gimmick just works so well, and funnily enough maybe because being that character takes little effort. 

Hopefully Adam Cole is alive and well, but I doubt I’d complain were he to end up off tv for a prolonged spell again. Personally have found AEW to be a thousand percent more entertaining without him.

I've said it before, but I remember my first exposure to AEW being a Battle Royal (probably on Dynamite).  Probably featured a large number of faces I'd know now, but the only ones that stuck out were Orange Cassidy and Jungle Boy.  They stuck out because the former just lay on the apron for the whole match, and the latter spent it pretending to pick bugs off of Luchasaurus.  Remember thinking how utterly tinpot it all looked, and all a bit embarrassing.

Fair to say I was wrong on both of those guys.  Probably harsh to judge on one single match that they were playing off as entertaining, but they've definitely shown in the interim there's a lot more to him.  Jungle Boy is very good, but Cassidy is brilliant.  Just the right amount of leaning into the more nonsensical parts of the gimmick, then just incredibly good all the other times.  

Vikingo is a wee bit good isn't he?  Genuinely looked like Omega couldn't quite keep up at times, and that top rope f**k-up could well have killed them both, with him never looking too comfortable before it.  Still not really sure what they're attempting to do with...well, everyone at that end of the card.  Guess after the ending, at the very least they're trying to paint Callis as trying to get Omega isolated, but maybe they're even going the whole way as unveiling him as being behind it all.  But it's still just incredibly messy at this time, with Dark Order, BCC and the Elite all tied up in it.  Which would be fine if we hadn't already been doing BCC vs Dark Order/Hangman for fucking ages already.

They need to sign Vikingo, he’s ridiculous.

Worry about guys getting lost in the shuffle, but I don’t even think it’s possible with him. Won’t leave a show forgetting the mental stuff he did in a hurry.

That's in resposne to a Meltzer forum post.

https://i.imgur.com/TfH8klW.png

The whole thing's messy. Punk should know better than to get dragged into the Bischoff/Cornette feuding with Meltzer zone.

He should be doing his talking with the people actually involved, then play the public perception to get the biggest reaction/payday. If people hate him, be hated. People love him, revel in it.

Boggles my mind how Meltzer manages to live rent free in most wrestlers heads. He's a complete walter mitty character that appears as if he's never left his childhood bedroom.

And that Sean Ross Sapp looks like heir to that throne.

Wrestling media is very weird.

Meltzer is such a fucking dweeb. He always has been and always will be. Amazes me that he has such a level of influence in the wrestling business despite repeatedly being shown up down the years as doing nothing more than a hack who loves regurgitating half-truths and Chinese whispers.