The AEW Thread

TheGoon

It's good to see WBD have finally relented. It was something else that the same network who gives millions to wife-beater Dana White for his idiotic slapping contest, could bar someone because their dead brother tweeted something very stupid years ago.

I thought it was a weird match, but purely down to the circumstances rather than anything they did.  Must be so incredibly difficult to go out there and put on a show in those kind of circumstances, and weirdly it was Briscoe that seemed to be holding it together better.  I know what you mean though, with all the ROH stuff mostly tied to some tertiary story, there hasn't been many occasions where two guys can just go out and put on a decent match.  Pity it had to be under these circumstances is all.  

Next week looking like another very strong show.  Mox/Hangman 3, Danielson/Thatcher, Darby/Joe 2.  You'd think the formula of just putting out constant solid undercard PPV shows (at the very least, often better) on free tv would fall apart at some point, but they're just not.  

Used to say that about Ospreay, but he at least realised he was heading for a very short career and managed to pivot to something a little less dangerous.  But will Darby do anything like that? Doesn't seem like the kind that could get by on just being the plucky underdog without putting himself on the line like he does.  Is he that good at selling, or is he just in genuine pain every time he does anything?  

Iv never really got the hype around Darby for that reason. I spoke to a guy a couple of weeks before the first dynamite from itw and he was bigging Darby up, so I was excited to see him. He's undoubtedly good at what he does, but jesus christ min calm it down. He's going to be walking about like matt Hardy any day at that rate. Good match with Joe though. 

Feels like they've really cooled Starks off. A shame, but perhaps they plan to 're-heat' him after Revolution when MJF is done with Danielson?

Anyway, his stuff with the JAS isn't really interesting. He's already beaten Jericho clean and now he has to beat members of the JAS to get to face Jericho again? Nah, not really in to that. It's a pretty lazy rehashing of the trials of Jericho storyline too, but nowhere near as good.

The main problem is the JAS themselves. They're boring. What is the point of them? What do they do? What is their relevance? This pish has long outstayed its usefulness, if there ever was any. It seems like they drag out any feud they're involved in and make everyone come out of it a bit shutter and less over.

Also, why is Starks hanging about with a wee dweeb like Action Andretti? The guy is called 'Action' for f**k sake! He's an achingly uncool wee jobber, whereas Starks is a top, cool babyface who had style. 

I like Starks and think he could be really big for AEW, but they're squandering him just now. 

3 cracking matches on Dynamite last night, Takeshita, Rush and AR Fox are fantastic in every match they are in.

The result of the main even came out of nowhere, although I not sure about putting the titles on the Gunns.

That MJF promo was something else. I can see what they were doing with it, but the subject matter seemed a bit too soon after what happened to Jay Briscoe.

4 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The result of the main even came out of nowhere, although I not sure about putting the titles on the Gunns.

Long term not really. The match has been built since the LA show with the whole walk of fame, family therapy stuff.

Match itself Billy Gunn appearance to confirm what side's he's on. During the ref downtime it's the faces that get visual win only for the heels to cheat when it matters.

A month to go for the PPV it's not like any other heel tag teams have built up in any meaningful way to challenge the Acclaimed. Now there's a potential title change on the show when the men's & women's World, Trios, TBS all look locked as retentions. TNT & All-Atlantic who knows what they'd do.

MJF has moved on from hitting the same old beats in his promos to cutting genuinely problematic ones now.  Absolutely well delivered, but have to wonder whether a promo about a car crash is a brilliant idea on a show where you're hyping up the surviving Briscoe speaking on Rampage, just a couple of weeks after the other brother died tragically.  And quite the reaction on commentary directly afterwards, only for Taz to quite happily play up to the heel commentator role when MJF was next to him.

Can't say there's a huge amount of heat in the main event now.  I don't think it's been booked brilliantly. Sensibly?  Yeah, probably.  MJF probably gains more in avoiding fights, but he is incredibly good in the ring as he showed last night.  Danielson will almost certainly lose and put him over, and a 1 hour Iron Man match is going to very tough to get absolutely right with the way the characters are booked.  Interesting, but already looks like it won't be the most interesting thing on a show with literally nothing else booked on it yet.  

I've really lost interest in AEW at the moment. Can't say there's any feuds that have my interest and woth the next PPV a month away, I don't see any potential matches that will peak my interest. Hopefully things pick up in the next few weeks but can't say on full of confidence 

On 10/02/2023 at 06:34, Bert Raccoon said:

I've really lost interest in AEW at the moment. Can't say there's any feuds that have my interest and woth the next PPV a month away, I don't see any potential matches that will peak my interest. Hopefully things pick up in the next few weeks but can't say on full of confidence 

Feel similar. I'm sure the PPV next month will be good but the build has been meh.

We all know Danielson is facing MJF, so any marches that suggest otherwise, as good as they may be in ring, hold no weight and you can't get invested in them.

They've cooled off Starks badly. He's been fighting for a match against a guy he's already beaten clean. He'll probably best Jericho at the PPV but so what? Thankfully he seems like a guy who can get more over again if given the chance, so hopefully after the PPV he'll be kept well away from Jericho and his pish faction. The JAS just seem to drag out feuds and make the opponents pisher than when they came in. 

Gunns will surely defend against The Acclaimed. That could be decent.

Think it's too early for Britt to turn on Jamie, so think we might get Britt, Jamie and Shida against Saraya, Toni and someone else. Britt vs Jamie Will keep.

Joe vs Wardlow doesn't interest me. Should have left it.

Hangman vs Mox in some sort of mad stipulation on the PPV would be great.

They need to sort Dynamite. Take the Danielson stuff. They're nearly there, but instead of MJF offering cash for someone to beat Danielson (which we all know won't happen), offer the cash for someone to injure him instead.

Have the JAS turn in Jericho and get Jericho off TV for a couple of months. Disband the group. Have Jericho go do shit in Japan for a couple of months then return rebooted. He's the absolute master of that. Could even have him and Hager feud with Menard and Parker.

Start teasing, then having, fresh matches. Adam Cole vs almost anyone would be fresh and immense. Imagine him vs Mox, Starks, Kingston, Joe, Wardlow, Darby, Jungle Boy, Danielson, Miro, Orange Cassidy, Hook, Omega, Hobbs or Jericho.

Just look at that list of guys and Imagine the feuds/matches you could have that would be fresh! For example:

- Omega vs Danielson 

- Mox vs Miro

- Hobbs vs Wardlow

- Jungle Boy vs Orange Cassidy

- Darby Allin vs Hagman Page 

- Eddie Kingston vs Samoa Joe

- Mox vs Danielson 

- Starks vs Hangman 

- Kingston vs Hobbs

- Jungle Boy vs Adam Cole

- Adam Cole vs Omega

- Wardlow vs Miro

- Starks vs Mox

- Omega vs Jungle Boy 

- Adam Cole vs Starks

- Hobbs vs Mox

- Starks vs Jungle Boy

You get the picture. That doesn't include MJF either!