The AEW Thread

TheGoon

12 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

JR still has some good takes. Just after the Toni Storm interview on Rampage and talk amongst the commentary crew about the interim title. "Bury that title forever".

Think they're missing his good takes. Although in saying that, he was acting like a decrepit auld b*****d at times when he's supposed to be the main salesman of the show.

Still, I don't get the Excalibur shtick. For reasons I can't explain, it bothers me that the main announcer wears a mask.

44 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Think they're missing his good takes. Although in saying that, he was acting like a decrepit auld b*****d at times when he's supposed to be the main salesman of the show.

Still, I don't get the Excalibur shtick. For reasons I can't explain, it bothers me that the main announcer wears a mask.

JR is fine to bring out for special occasions. He was good for Full Gear. Incidentally, he called the 'Jack Perry' stuff two years ago!

I like Excalibur. He, Taz and Schavione are great most weeks. I really like their daft patter during the 'picture in picture' stuff (ad breaks in the US but live on the Fite app). Can tell all three guys really enjoy their jobs and (usually) the show and that they're really in to it. That they don't shill catchphrases and nicknames and are allowed to show emotion really helps 

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

JR is fine to bring out for special occasions. He was good for Full Gear. Incidentally, he called the 'Jack Perry' stuff two years ago!

I like Excalibur. He, Taz and Schavione are great most weeks. I really like their daft patter during the 'picture in picture' stuff (ad breaks in the US but live on the Fite app). Can tell all three guys really enjoy their jobs and (usually) the show and that they're really in to it. That they don't shill catchphrases and nicknames and are allowed to show emotion really helps 

Must admit, not a fan of 3 man commentary teams in general and Excalibur is the weak link for me (although I am heavily bias with him so will accept I might be wrong on that front).

If it wasn't so disrespectful, I'd wheel JR out as the main play by play guy for all the PPVs and pair Taz up with either Schavione or trial the likes of Paul Wight and Mark Henry who were hired for that type of role, were they not?  Schavione strikes me as not having the greatest of wrestling knowledge these days hence how I'm open to change on that front.

Taz is fantastic though and I do enjoy Schavione.

15 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Must admit, not a fan of 3 man commentary teams in general and Excalibur is the weak link for me (although I am heavily bias with him so will accept I might be wrong on that front).

If it wasn't so disrespectful, I'd wheel JR out as the main play by play guy for all the PPVs and pair Taz up with either Schavione or trial the likes of Paul Wight and Mark Henry who were hired for that type of role, were they not?  Schavione strikes me as not having the greatest of wrestling knowledge these days hence how I'm open to change on that front.

Taz is fantastic though and I do enjoy Schavione.

Yeah some 3 man commentary can be shit, but I do like the AEW 3 man team. 

Would not be a fan of Show/Wight or Henry on commentary. Think they're poor in that role.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Yeah some 3 man commentary can be shit, but I do like the AEW 3 man team. 

Would not be a fan of Show/Wight or Henry on commentary. Think they're poor in that role.

Not heard them tbf but it's not hard to imagine, aye.

I quite like the AEW commentary teams, although I'm not sure why.  Where WWE often feels over-produced and about trying to nail an angle, AEW feels a lot more natural.  They seem to just be commentating on the action rather than playing up to a particular role too.  Corey Graves is a weapon at the best of times, but especially when he's desperately trying to be a heel.  I like that when AEW want to do that, they'll bring in an actual wrestler related to the match to fill in that side of things.  Works a lot better for me.

I agree that JR is definitely better being brought out in small doses.  He was definitely struggling when he was there all the time.  But what really annoys me with him is his insistence on overly bigging up the product.  I know it's a small thing, but given his history it's like he's going over the top to try and sell AEW as better than everything else, rather than just letting the product put it there.  If that makes sense.  Seems like every match or angle he's involved in, it's "this is the best I've ever seen".  He was there when wrestling was way hotter than it is now literally speaking over the biggest moments, just seems so jarring when he's going down that line all the time.  

At least Mox will manage to get some time off around the time his daughter graduates high school.  

Another swerve in the MJF tale, that didn't take long.  Looks like we'll get to the Danielson/MJF feud, just maybe not as immediate as I thought.  A properly pissed off Danielson being bested by MJF is probably one of the best things they could do to start his reign off hot.  Also nice to see that AEW have learned their lesson about letting moment's settle.  Half expected while Regal was lying there that we'd get a record scratch segueway to some back-stage segment with a jobber.

5 hours ago, TheGoon said:

I’m assuming Regal’s away, and they’ve had to shuffle things about. Feels a bit early to write him off totally. 

Seems weird considering he's on a three year deal but if he wants to go and they're letting him then fair play 

Why did Regal turn on Mox? Why did he send MJF an email about it? Has Mox just forgotten about his revenge now?

Thought the MJF promo was a bit flat. Felt it was fairly dull actually and came across as too generic and cliche filled. We all know his 'face' turn was nonsense but there was some really good blending of reality and his character was far more nuanced. It feels to me that he's regressed a bit now that he's back to full on heel, although he did reference this himself so perhaps it's on purpose? Either way, not an encouraging start to his reign, especially if it's true that he won't be appearing much (although he has a title defence next week!). We'll see.

Did chuckle at Danielson running down to the ring with just one boot.

I always enjoy Orange Cassidy's laid back acceptance of challenges to the All Atlantic title. The opponent is trying to cut some big promo but Cassidy just cutting them off with an instant acceptance makes me laugh and usually flusters the opponent.

No Jericho! Is he dead? Is Tony Khan dead?! A refreshing change. We did still get a JAS and BCC segment, but it was thankfully fairly short and was livened up by Hager amusing shouting "I like this hat!".

What was the Jade Cargill segement all about? Awful, awful stuff that served no purpose.

I quite like the AEW commentary teams, although I'm not sure why.  Where WWE often feels over-produced and about trying to nail an angle, AEW feels a lot more natural.  They seem to just be commentating on the action rather than playing up to a particular role too.  Corey Graves is a weapon at the best of times, but especially when he's desperately trying to be a heel.  I like that when AEW want to do that, they'll bring in an actual wrestler related to the match to fill in that side of things.  Works a lot better for me.
I agree that JR is definitely better being brought out in small doses.  He was definitely struggling when he was there all the time.  But what really annoys me with him is his insistence on overly bigging up the product.  I know it's a small thing, but given his history it's like he's going over the top to try and sell AEW as better than everything else, rather than just letting the product put it there.  If that makes sense.  Seems like every match or angle he's involved in, it's "this is the best I've ever seen".  He was there when wrestling was way hotter than it is now literally speaking over the biggest moments, just seems so jarring when he's going down that line all the time.  
I like Excalibur and Taz. JR and Schiavone can still deliver, but you really need to keep them apart as much as possible, as they give off heavy Jack and Victor "do you like the playstation" vibes.

On 01/12/2022 at 20:44, DA Baracus said:

We did still get a JAS and BCC segment, but it was thankfully fairly short and was livened up by Hager amusing shouting "I like this hat!".

I like that Hager finally got a personality and it was via a purple bucket hat. :lol:

That was an awesome promo from Starks. There's no chance he's winning next week, but very few folk outwith the very top guys have ever been allowed to go toe to toe with MJF in a promo.

It was good to see Billy Corgan being roasted by MJF. At least Starks was only associated with the NWA when it was still good.

Aye, Starks' promo was tremendous. He absolutely smashed it. He's getting really over now too. He'll surely be a top guy next year at some point.

Darby Allin continues his mission to be in a wheelchair by the time he's 40. That powerslam on the floor man...

I was fully expecting him to try a Coffin Drop to the outside only for Joe to the spot where he casually moves out the way. When Darby actually did do the Coffin Drop to the outside I was thinking that the mad b*****d had finally done himself in, but Joe was there to catch him.

Edited by DA Baracus

Darby launching himself at the guard rail during the Joe "nope" spot was too much for free tv.

The starks promo was excellent. I can seen this being the start of a cycle where he loses now then comes back around to dethrone MJF in a year or so.