The AEW Thread

TheGoon

4 hours ago, forameus said:

Aye, have to say that even though Khan looked like a complete dildo during the Punk media scrum, everything since then has been admirable.  The show isn't going to struggle at all without Punk, and there's still the potential to make money out of him if they want to take a risk when he's back.  They miss the Elite slightly more but they don't really need them back.  Dealt with the issues at hand, moved on, put on solid shows.  Have to hand it to them.

Agree with this. Let's be dead honest, punk has always been about the presence and promo, his ring work was a good standard when he was younger in a WWE roster not blessed with a ridiculous number of great workers. Since he came back the presence and promo is still there but his ring work, to me, has been a noticeable step behind the majority of a very, very talented roster. With the elite, they just haven't been massively relevant for quite a while. Omega is clearly very close to being physically wrecked and the bucks are in go away heat territory for me. I'm happy to not see the four of them on cards hogging all the best spots and letting others shine.

Edited by cb_diamond

Aye, the rest - for all parties - is probably a good thing.  Omega certainly won't be 100% given how fucked up he seemed when he initially left, and it seems like they brought him back to get through the trios stuff perhaps without him being absolutely ready.  Another wee break away from everything could be a good thing.  Everyone involved will get huge pops when they finally return, as long as they can keep giving time to everyone else who has stepped up while they've been gone.

That Saraya segment was a shambles. She used to to be a good promo, so Christ knows what went wrong last night. Toni Storm also looked like a complete loser, being summoned down to the ring in tow with the other babyfaces.

"Britt rhymes with shit" is "sufferin' succotash" level patter.

Yeah, that Saraya stuff was awful.  Still not immediately clear what she's there to do.  Seems like they're not quite sure themselves whether she's going to be wrestling, as they're deliberately vague about what her role is.  She could still be valuable to them if she's not cleared, but whatever happens, she needs to improve on last night.  Like the Sheriff says, Britt rhymes with Shit is the sort of stuff WWE would have put out in the dark days, just with added swearing.  

I will never stop popping for MJF jovially referring to Schiavone as a fat piece of shit though.  Delivery is superb.

Another enjoyable episode, but totally agree with the Saraya stuff. The entire segment was cringey. Her promo was rank and she stumbled through it. Calling out the other women, including the fucking (interim) champion was an utter nonsense. Bin that. As noted, "Britt rhymes with shit" was dreadful, just dreadful. Baker easily destroyed her on the mic as well.

It's such a sad fucking story around her.  Brought into the business at a startlingly young age, shot to superstardom by WWE really early, all the injury problems, all the personal issues, Del Rio, this new guy...she seems like she needs time away from everyone and everything.

15 hours ago, forameus said:

It's such a sad fucking story around her.  Brought into the business at a startlingly young age, shot to superstardom by WWE really early, all the injury problems, all the personal issues, Del Rio, this new guy...she seems like she needs time away from everyone and everything.

From a great wresting family too.  Her brothers a great guy and dedicated to feck to performing.  

Shes always been the type that makes the wrong choice and people love her because of it and want her to do well.  Me too.

Cant see it ending good though. 

Mega late to the party but can anyone give me a rundown of what exactly happened with Punk? Have been out of the loop with wrestling since COVID but saw he blew up a few weeks back by acting like a dick but didn't actually see the ins and outs of what happened.

I'll give it a shot, but no doubt I'll miss something so please feel free to fill in.

The AEW specific stuff started during a promo between Hangman Page and Punk, where the former referenced worker's rights.  Stories went around at the time that Punk felt this was too close to the bone, and a reference to his well publicised feud with Colt Cabana.

At the end of the feud, Punk wins the title, and then the next Dynamite decides it'd be a brilliant idea to leap into the crowd.  He breaks something (his foot I believe), leading to him having to relinquish the title.  He spends the time out seemingly absolute seething.

He eventually returns, and things seem a wee bit off with him.  In his first promo, he seems to go off script and calls out Hangman Page, presumably knowing that there's no plans for him to come out, so he can shit on him and call him a coward.  He turns attention to Moxley, and the promos seem particularly p***kly, although AEW do like to blend those lines.  At the time they seemed great, but in hindsight, seems like he's just generally pissed off.

He gets squashed on Dynamite in a weird decision, booked to reinjure himself, then cuts a maudlin going away promo the next week.  Gets interrupted by Ace Steel (more on him later) and gets a rah rah speech.  1 minute later and he's up in the crowd saying how he's going to win the title with a mad look in his eyes.

Cut to the PPV, and we get the match that it seems like we should've always got.  He wins the title, and then the fun begins.  Turns out during the match he tore a tricep muscle, and you can see around the moment it happens.  he's on the outside testing it out, and clearly knows something pretty serious is up.  It also seems like he realises that he'll have to vacate the title and go away again for a while, so perhaps believes that this is his one chance to really air his grievances.  He turns up at the post-show media scrum and sits next to Tony Khan, bringing out a 6 pack of some kind of drink and a box of muffins.  He's spent months away seething on what Hangman said, and the whole stuff with Cabana, so he's chosen tonight to get that all off his chest in a completely constructive and not at all fucking mental way, whilst still visibly bleeding from the match.

He starts out calling out one particular journalist who he believes is friends with Colt Cabana.  When he says he isn't, Punk decides to go ahead anyway with a diatribe about him, including how he shares a bank account with his mother.  Tony Khan's visible discomfort level seems to be around an 8 at this point

He then starts off on the EVPs in the company - so the Elite and friends - and starts shitting on them.  Tony tries to intervene, but is cut off aggressively by Punk.  The visible discomfort level pushes off the top of the scale now.

While audibly eating muffins into the mic, Punk has another few goes at anyone who has wronged him while Tony Khan quietly fashions a noose in the background.  the scrum is seemingly supposed to finish with Khan handing the belt and posing for a photo.  Punk takes it and walks off in one final f**k you to his paymaster.

From here it becomes a bit he said/she said seemingly as there's different courses of events.  It's still under legal investigations and everyone's still suspended, but the truth seems to be that clearly the Bucks and Kenny Omega took a bit of offence to being publicly shat on, so they went to have it out with Punk verbally, taking the head of legal in AEW with them to his dressing room.  Something happened that set things off, and Punk sucker punched one of the Bucks.  Ace Steel then bit Kenny Omega and pulled his hair (possibly while Omega was trying to save Punk's dog by some accounts) and a scuffle breaks out.  Next Wednesday, Tony actually realises he needs to grow a pair and not look like a complete dildo and strips the Elite of the Trios titles, Punk of the World Title, and organises tournaments.  Since then there's been little mention of anyone involved.  Punk would've been gone anyway with the injury, but it's hard to see a way back for him with how unprofessional he's been.  He also seems to have changed his story on the fight from "the Elite broke down the door and I thought they were going to kill me, so I started blastin'" to "yeah, they didn't break down the door, but I hit 'em anyway".  I expect the Elite will rest up and ultimately come back as they don't seem to have done much wrong, but I think Punk is done.

⬆️ Pretty much

Just to add some more context to the Colt Cabana stuff. He disappeared off TV at the start of the year. This was to film 'Young Rock' in Australia. However, when he came back he was slated for the rebooted ROH and only had a couple of appearances at one of the Orlando Dark tapings otherwise being kept off the road.

Dirtsheets/rumour mill would have it as CM Punk trying get Colt Cabana sacked or let his contract expire as it was coming up. The Elite going to bat for Colt Cabana. The move to ROH seen as a compromise/demotion to try and keep everyone happy. The rumours in the Dirtsheets started heading into Double or Nothing. Tony Khan was asked about it at the Death Before Dishonor press conference in July. Then revived once Punk returned in August.

Punk believing that Colt/The Bucks were feeding this narrative to Meltzer & Co to ruin his image.