The AEW Thread

TheGoon

$50k isn't huge, and they still pay federal income tax. Considering health insurance was about $600 a month for me when I was a contractor, and not throwing myself around for a living, I hope they get some sort of decent health coverage with that salary. Can't imagine how guys on the indies get by.

I always thought Cabana was pretty frugal, and that he made a decent amount as an indie wrestler, but having a mate that was on multi million dollar deals must have been cool for a while.

13 hours ago, TheGoon said:

Aye, last part of the above is the big thing I think.. Controversy creates cash. It hasn’t as yet derailed any programmes (that we’re aware of anyway) - until beef starts doing that (and it very well could given Punk’s comments on Page) then I think they’ll embrace it. I’m going to be more invested in feuds if I know the guys legit don’t get on, so long as they can still work together. 

This is why i find the online wrestling community's reaction to this a bit baffling. Folk on Reddit are absolutely panning CM Punk as if he's hurt them personally. Isn't this type of thing everyone's been crying out for? It makes it exciting and makes you want to watch it. The era everyone desperately romanticises and harks back to was full of backstage, blurred lines personal drama amongst massive egotistical arseholes. 

There is the chance that i've maybe just misunderstood a lot of the situation though. I dip in and out of current wrestling, and am a lapsed fan for the most part so only really see the odd story that crosses over - but the very fact that that i've heard a fair bit about this online without looking for it surely tells it's own story. I do however understand the view that Khan has lost the dressing room, and that AEW is a bawhair away from falling to pieces, so it'll be interesting to see how this pans out in that respect.

Edited by Fratelli

When Punk came back he started off with his open challenge to Hangman and also took shots at Eddie Kingston. None of which was planned.

Unsurprisingly it's not easy to find on a google search after the last day, but in an interview Punk afterwards said something along the lines of teasing potential match ups for later. As people would want to see those matches again.

At the Press Conference he was the one that instigated the Colt Cabana chat as well. Then took shots at the Bucks and Hangman.

My takeaway is that CM Punk is someone that's more than happy to work himself into a shoot. He knows he can say what he likes and if it all blows up in his face he can walk away. Part of him in the Conference was ticking of possible matches with Omega, Hangman, Young Bucks. The backstage fisticuffs wasn't something he'd factored in.

17 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

This is why i find the online wrestling community's reaction to this a bit baffling. Folk on Reddit are absolutely panning CM Punk as if he's hurt them personally. Isn't this type of thing everyone's been crying out for? It makes it exciting and makes you want to watch it. The era everyone desperately romanticises and harks back to was full of backstage, blurred lines personal drama amongst massive egotistical arseholes. 

There is the chance that i've maybe just misunderstood a lot of the situation though. I dip in and out of current wrestling, and am a lapsed fan for the most part so only really see the odd story that crosses over - but the very fact that that i've heard a fair bit about this online without looking for it surely tells it's own story. I do however understand the view that Khan has lost the dressing room, and that AEW is a bawhair away from falling to pieces, so it'll be interesting to see how this pans out in that respect.

You haven't at all.

I think it's genuinely a generational thing. Most of the folk I've seen going off on Punk appear to be in the 18-30 age group, outraged that such a thing would happen between coworkers and they are not in fact all pals who are in on some big joke. They do same with Eddie Kingston because Eddie doesn't tend to like people in general and is very vocal about it - the same folk who decry Punk as problematic do so with Kingston too. 

The Elite and BTE are a massive catalyst in that by the way, they put out a weekly show where in all honesty, good performers or not, they treat the business like a bit of a *nudge nudge wink wink* carry on and nod to the fans, some of whom lap up the feeling that they are going along with them and in on the gag. Take a look at Omega's utterly fucking cringeworthy post show shenanigans over last 3 or 4 episodes of Dynamite since coming back...the 'OK, I'm breaking character and I'd never say it on TV but this is not going out and can stay between us' shtick that he knows fine well is going to be put onto YouTube by AEW's official channel. 

The older folk who still take an interest and who genuinely remember Bret vs Shawn, The Kliq, the NWO and latter days of WCW.....even Jarrett vs Angle in TNA fucking lap it up though. It's genuinely great to see that these folk need to work together and put trust in each other and that SHOULD create an edge in everything. Yeah, it's scripted, choreographed, fake, whatever you want to call it but folk all too regularly can and do get fucked up so it's good to see that a competitive edge is still there and building tension.

It's seems like a slam dunk that Ace Steel should be sacked for his actions, but Khan will know there's a real risk that Punk will walk out if that happens. Nobody in all this drama comes out of this looking very good, but I'm loving every minute of it.

9 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

It's seems like a slam dunk that Ace Steel should be sacked for his actions, but Khan will know there's a real risk that Punk will walk out if that happens. Nobody in all this drama comes out of this looking very good, but I'm loving every minute of it.

This was all described a a melee originally. Turns out Ace's wife was there. If she got caught up in 5+ grown children brawling and the Ace biting/chair was in reaction to his wife getting hurt. It's not quite the slam dunk.

There's absolutely nothing to say his wife was hurt.

Using a chair in an actual fight is daft and almost certainly hasn't helped matters.

Anyway, I forgot to mention that the lad who Danielson's tune seemed to be clearly miming. It's also an absolutely terrible tune that doesn't fit Danielson at all.

20 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Jarrett a side, who held the company hostage and was then promptly blacklisted were all much, much, much bigger stars during a period the wrestling business was much bigger in terms of eyeballs.

Khan doesn't seem to really have a grasp on any of it and it's clearly spiralling. Someone that knows the business and is decent at talent relations would be a step. They have Jim Ross on the payroll - surely he could lean into him for advice if unwilling to directly challenge these people?

It's every week there seems to be some drama going on backstage. I note Malakai Black has also asked for his release. FTR have been complaining that The Young Bucks nixed a potential feud between them as well. Just seems to be out of control in more of a WCW style backstage (not that I'm comparing the two).

If it's just a work, then it's genius, but there's just story after story right now.

Strong supply teacher vibes off Tony Khan. 

I must admit, my enjoyment of wrestling seemed to take a dip when it was full of more decent human beings that spend their time playing video games and getting along.

I much prefer my wrestlers to be utter scumbags and have all sorts of nefarious rumours going on about them.

As a casual watcher, that makes it much more interesting. I'd completely dropped AEW for WWE again now that Triple H is running things but this has gauged my interest.

I don't really care about five star matches. Don't get me wrong, I like to watch a cracking match but I completely zoned out of AEW as the stories weren't hooking me, I was thinking that their top stars were just lame (Not a fan of Omega, Bucks, or Moxley or Jericho in the current mid life crisis phase he's going through) and as a result their matches were utter shite to me despite being labelled as incredible by most people. 

The backstage drama is where the flavour is for me. That's the real heat these days IMO and now I'm desperate to watch the next show.

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

You haven't at all.

I think it's genuinely a generational thing. Most of the folk I've seen going off on Punk appear to be in the 18-30 age group, outraged that such a thing would happen between coworkers and they are not in fact all pals who are in on some big joke. They do same with Eddie Kingston because Eddie doesn't tend to like people in general and is very vocal about it - the same folk who decry Punk as problematic do so with Kingston too. 

The Elite and BTE are a massive catalyst in that by the way, they put out a weekly show where in all honesty, good performers or not, they treat the business like a bit of a *nudge nudge wink wink* carry on and nod to the fans, some of whom lap up the feeling that they are going along with them and in on the gag. Take a look at Omega's utterly fucking cringeworthy post show shenanigans over last 3 or 4 episodes of Dynamite since coming back...the 'OK, I'm breaking character and I'd never say it on TV but this is not going out and can stay between us' shtick that he knows fine well is going to be put onto YouTube by AEW's official channel. 

The older folk who still take an interest and who genuinely remember Bret vs Shawn, The Kliq, the NWO and latter days of WCW.....even Jarrett vs Angle in TNA fucking lap it up though. It's genuinely great to see that these folk need to work together and put trust in each other and that SHOULD create an edge in everything. Yeah, it's scripted, choreographed, fake, whatever you want to call it but folk all too regularly can and do get fucked up so it's good to see that a competitive edge is still there and building tension.

Posted my post before I read this. You've said it better than I could.

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The Twitter scuttlebutt seems to suggest that Punk is going to be fired.

Aye, something ‘big’ coming imminently apparently. Sounds liks there’d be a queue of people waiting on him tomorrow if he isn’t 

There’s part of me that thinks this is all just another worked shoot that they love  to do to hype up the drama but the backstage fights, biting etc might take it up a notch I accept. It will be interesting to see how Punk not being around would affect their ratings. It’s obviously a big loss but I don’t actually think it would be too damaging.

If he was punted then I wonder what they'd do with the title? There isn't really any ready made feud for MJF at the moment. Who would he face for the title? He still has his shot, but how do they decide who he'd face? Another tournament after the last one probably wouldn't go down well. Do they look at the rankings? If so then Page is next in line, but how do they build a Page vs MJF match now? What's the angle? Especially when you consider their comments about Punk.

All a bit of a mess if Punk gets the boot.

Also, do you think HHH will be on the blower right away if Punk is fired? So many ready made angles if he ever did return to the E, although I can't see him doing so (but then he might out of anger/spite if he's fired). Could pretty much run the whole 'real world's champion' stuff like they did with Flair in the early 90s.

Edited by DA Baracus

30 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

There’s part of me that thinks this is all just another worked shoot that they love  to do to hype up the drama but the backstage fights, biting etc might take it up a notch I accept. It will be interesting to see how Punk not being around would affect their ratings. It’s obviously a big loss but I don’t actually think it would be too damaging.

He wasn't around for almost all of the summer. They were hovering around the mid 900k range in total audience for most of it. The last couple of weeks with the title unification and last show before All Out only added another 100k.

As a PPV draw, merch, sponsors, and just general awareness he was a far bigger deal. Ratings wise (boosted by Danielson & Cole signing weeks later) after the initial interest it began to wane. Since the TBS move they've plateau'd in the 900k to occasional 1m range. He's a draw but he was never going to be the one to break out of that pattern.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

If he was punted then I wonder what they'd do with the title? There isn't really any ready made feud for MJF at the moment. Who would he face for the title? He still has his shot, but how do they decide who he'd face? Another tournament after the last one probably wouldn't go down well. Do they look at the rankings? If so then Page is next in line, but how do they build a Page vs MJF match now? What's the angle? Especially when you consider their comments about Punk.

All a bit of a mess if Punk gets the boot.

He has the official title shot. MJF could demand the title handed to him. Mox comes out as the last champion says things don't just get handed to you. You've got go to war for it. Claudio comes out as the ROH world champion says it should be him. Danielson comes out says it should be him. Conflict in the BCC and MJF has his new set of lackeys, but wait here comes Samoa Joe saying it should be me.

The World Title Eliminator comes back with the winner facing MJF at Full Gear. MJF can get one or two of his guys in the tournament. Gets two months to cut promos.  8 guys in the Tournament equals 7 matches. Have the first one at Grand Slam takes it up to November 2nd Dynamite if its one a week. Full Gear's meant to be November 19th. That gives two weeks of TV to build MJF v. the tournament winner.

If its too long a wait, have the tournament portion start at Grand Slam and have MJF v. The winner at the Canada Dynamite since they'll be making a big deal of that anyway.

Thing is, if he does survive this and carry on, can anyone honestly say he's not going to be getting, at best, a mixed reception and at worst a ton of heat from fans?

He'll be pretty much the biggest heel in the company of he does step back into the ring and if cooler heads prevail there is a LOT of money and publicity to be made from the situation. 

Again, I do believe this is all legit and not a work (at least not currently but it will become a work if everyone is clever about this) but then it's not outwith the realms...

Wrestlers work people constantly, of course they do it's their profession and Punk is one of the very best in the business at it. It's all good folk saying that 'Meltzer and Alvarez are saying it's a shoot so it's a shoot' but without being facetious, both guys were there in the room, heard the comments, saw the security guard bounding out into the corridors, we're given enough to shape their opinion. If someone DID want to do an angle like this, surely the first thing you'd do would be not tell the dirtsheet folk it's an angle - so what's better proof to these folk than letting them see it upfront with their own eyes and hear it with their own ears? Bring them right in at ground level and it removes them going on hearsay but rather going 'oh no, it's real alright, I was there in the room'.

Again, I'm not saying this is the case but IF you were going to work them, it's perfect to do it right in front of their faces like an optical illusion. Proper sleight of hand stuff.