The AEW Thread

TheGoon

Tag match was def the best match, but the main event was pretty good. Using the dirt sheet rumors at the end to explain the return was a good idea.

I'm not a fan of Danielson losing to basic shenanigans, but it's clear where it's going with Garcia, so will be worth watching.

Looks like malakai is gone, prob to join HHH on his honeymoon. Shame, but he was barely being used.

Punk fucking SLAUGHTERING Colt Cabana, Hangman Page and the EVPs in the post event media scrum.

Basically called the EVPs out for being more interested in holding back folk more talented and bigger draws than them for the sake of their own egos wanting themselves at the top of the card.

Spoke at great length about Cabana. Said he's not had any contact with him or been mates in nearly a decade done and not spoken since being in AEW and had no business in dragging it up but that changed when 'an empty headed dumbfuck who has done nothing' like Adam Page went into business for himself.  Then proceeds to break down exactly what went down between him and CC and said he has emails, receipts and invoices to back up everything he is saying and that Cabana was basically trying to extort him and only wanted to drop proceedings when it transpired that he shared a bank account with his mother so she would be responsible for the burden.

And that's just scratching the surface. I love that Punk lets everything build but when the info comes out of him, it just explodes out. There's no subtle digs or comments open to interpretation. Guys a goldmine for this sort of stuff.

One of those that you'll have journalists all over for weeks. 

Edited by djchapsticks

Tony Khan cannot control his backstage, that much is clear. He has a group of active wrestlers as his EVPs and they all clearly have massive egos. Punk has a massive ego. Page sounds like he has a massive ego. Malakai Black is trying to get out. Not a happy ship and the captain has to shoulder some blame here.

Press conference was fucking box office. Tony Khan's face throughout was hilarious. Glad Punk finally addressed the Cabana shit in public and had the balls to call out the EVPs. Cabana looks like a bit of a dick now, and Punk wouldn't have said anything he did without having receipts. I'd imagine he's not the only talent backstage who feels that way about Omega and the Bucks also.

Genuinely don’t know what to make of the Punk stuff. Khan looked like a deer in the headlights, but he could’ve put a stop to that at any time and didn’t. I’m struggling to see it all as some big work, I wouldn’t understand the point if it was.

It really seems like it's complete chaos behind the scenes at AEW. It makes sense because Tony Khan does seem a bit of a pushover and the egos of the likes of Punk, Omega, Jericho etc aren't shrinking violets.

There's not a Vince McMahon or Triple H presence to keep everyone in line. 

Khan either needs to develop that rapidly or appoint an 'enforcer' type that can deal with the backstage nonsense or it'll end up derailing them.

25 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

It really seems like it's complete chaos behind the scenes at AEW. It makes sense because Tony Khan does seem a bit of a pushover and the egos of the likes of Punk, Omega, Jericho etc aren't shrinking violets.

There's not a Vince McMahon or Triple H presence to keep everyone in line. 

Khan either needs to develop that rapidly or appoint an 'enforcer' type that can deal with the backstage nonsense or it'll end up derailing them.

Only one man can save them now...

AEW with a bat-signal version of this:

image.jpg.ea980302084519c7c633f822be6c8c73.jpg

I like 97 WWF, and for the most part WCW before it properly went off the rails. Egos aren’t always a bad thing in wrestling. I don’t really know that Khan turning into some McMahon/Watts authoritarian changes anything either - Vince had HBK, Austin, Jarrett, Bret,  The Kliq and a host of others not comply. 

I for one am shocked that a group who openly model themselves on being the Kliq could run around roughshod backstage, upsetting the apple cart and turning the locker room into an 'us vs them' environment.

Who would ever have guessed?

For what it's worth, Punk isn't in the wrong for bringing up Cabana. Thesecret was pretty much out anyway through stuff getting leaked to Meltzer so he's well within his rights to go 'Nope, f**k you, I never did or said any of that despite the insinuations that I did, but here, while we're on the subject...'.

Punk is marmite, folk love him or hate him. I think the wrestling fan of the younger vintage nowadays wants to believe that backstage they are all best pals who play games together on twitch and high five each other as soon as they walk through the curtain. The older fans are mainly the ones who like it because as Eric Bischoff once said, controversy creates cash and Punk is an absolute upsetter. The sort of guy who keeps everyone on edge - total p***k but entertaining as f**k in doing so.

Me, I love a cat among the pigeons. It's why I was always a fan of cocky wee arsehole HBK vs Bret Hart who took himself far too seriously. 1997 Bret, though he'd never admit it, was elevated to levels he's never have been by the very presence of Shawn Michaels.

1 hour ago, TheGoon said:

Genuinely don’t know what to make of the Punk stuff. Khan looked like a deer in the headlights, but he could’ve put a stop to that at any time and didn’t. I’m struggling to see it all as some big work, I wouldn’t understand the point if it was.

My take is that it's not just tv ratings battles now, it's much wider content engagement battles. WWE had a huge UK event at the weekend and everyone is now talking about Punk's media scrum and MJF coming back. 

People love the idea of there being real heat, real animosity, real resentment in the world of wrestling. Is there some for real? Probably. Are they leaning right into it to become unmissable? I reckon so. I could also be totally wrong! 

4 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

My take is that it's not just tv ratings battles now, it's much wider content engagement battles. WWE had a huge UK event at the weekend and everyone is now talking about Punk's media scrum and MJF coming back. 

People love the idea of there being real heat, real animosity, real resentment in the world of wrestling. Is there some for real? Probably. Are they leaning right into it to become unmissable? I reckon so. I could also be totally wrong! 

A few months ago I’d have been sceptical, but they even leaned into it with the MJF/Khan voicemail bit last night. (Obviously that is now a worked shoot, but it was a very real, live situation at one point they’ve now made into a hot angle) 

I don’t doubt there’s legitimate beef between guys, but I’d be exploiting it as much as possible. 

As much as I think Punk is in the right on this, it's quite impressive at how well Triple H had Punk's number. Pretty much all of this is spot on IMO.

Also, for what it's worth, I prefer all the disgraceful background shenanigans more than the actual wrestling shows. Never quite realised that until recently. I love all the carny in fighting and salacious stories.