The AEW Thread

TheGoon

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

I'm not a Cornette fan boy but I also don't get on board with everyone who hates him for being him and just a bitter old man.

Like it or not, he's one of the best minds in the game in terms of psychology and making booking decisions that make sense. I can't buy into the 'every act should be like 80s NWA' shtick but similarly, I do think wrestling for the most part should be presented as at least semi serious and by that I mean stop dropping people on their fucking heads 12 times a match, start selling moves that should in all reality, hurt and stop booking high stakes matches as anything other than feud enders. That's been his main grip with Omega and the Bucks, that they are good but choose not to be serious with it.

Cornette is batshit but he also speaks a lot of sense.

Agreed, a lot of it is just dangerous and not as entertaining as a good old fashioned battle would be. Really off-putting.

4 hours ago, TheGoon said:

I can understand it not being to everyone’s taste, but AEW was built on their style. Without shite like BTE, it probably wouldn’t exist. 

I thought the cage match last year with the Lucha Bros was the best cage match of the 21st century, whilst others couldn’t stand it. I think it’ll always be a debate so long as they’re wrestling. 

Danielson & Cody now on the mental wrestler injury list. Like 2007 all over again.

Talk that Danielson has a concussion, which is very worrying given his history. Not seen that from a reliable source yet so fingers crossed 

Very nice looking belt, but the only title that was needed/people actually want are the Trios, there’s way too many of them. 

The Hardys getting booked in a ladder match was inevitable, but they could’ve given Jeff a bit more time to recover. 

On 09/06/2022 at 11:04, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Tony Khan needs to get over his hard on for title belts. The last thing AEW needed was another championship, especially with trios belts on the way too.

The trios belts were definitely needed. The All Atlantic, not so much.

Not sure where its going to fit in, will it be IC/US title level whilst the TNT is TV title level?

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

The trios belts were definitely needed. The All Atlantic, not so much.

Not sure where its going to fit in, will it be IC/US title level whilst the TNT is TV title level?

I would think they would be about the same level given who is the tournament (Page / Miro / PAC)

Also to add, are the Owen Hart titles actual belts that change hands, or like king of the ring where they just keep the title for the year until the next tournament

1 minute ago, honestly united said:

I would think they would be about the same level given who is the tournament (Page / Miro / PAC)

Also to add, are the Owen Hart titles actual belts that change hands, or like king of the ring where they just keep the title for the year until the next tournament

I'd say the best comparison would when NJPW had the IWGP-IC-US titles. Since we know how AEW is inspired by most recent NJPW boom period. Seems to be pure fan speculation at this point that the All-Atlantic will be used more outside AEW.

Best way to think of it is that the Owen Hart Cup is the Stanley Cup/Scottish Cup trophy and the title belts are the rings/medals. I'd be happy for them to disappear, but I guess they're still trying to promote it as a prestigious award.

They've got too many title belts floating around right now. Even when RoH starts up as a promotion i'm still expecting crossover. It's overkill.

27 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Who's Switchblade going to fight? Really hope we're looking at a Kenny Omega return but his injuries still sound pretty bad

Anyone you would think is on the level of challenging for the IWGP world title is either injured (Punk, Danielson) or already in a match (Jericho, Moxley). There are guys available that you know would put on a great match with Switchblade, but the only logical candidate is Omega really

7 hours ago, honestly united said:

Anyone you would think is on the level of challenging for the IWGP world title is either injured (Punk, Danielson) or already in a match (Jericho, Moxley). There are guys available that you know would put on a great match with Switchblade, but the only logical candidate is Omega really

Danielson appears to be fighting ZSJ

10 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Who's Switchblade going to fight? Really hope we're looking at a Kenny Omega return but his injuries still sound pretty bad

Cole or Page.

Just now, Bert Raccoon said:

I'm thinking either a three way or those two beforehand 

You'd think they could wrangle a Dynamite or Rampage main event out of Page and Cole for the chance, but then it's hard to imagine one of them not being on the PPV.