The AEW Thread

TheGoon

On 22/01/2022 at 17:06, FairWeatherFan said:

In something that's not really a surprise but still is due to the optics. Lio Rush has announced that his contract expires on February 22nd.

He disappeared from TV after asking Tony Khan to apologise following the Big Swole podcast backlash.

It does beg the question how long he signed for in the first place.

6 month deal as he wasn't sure that he wanted to come out of "retirement". He's a roaster of the highest order. 

On that theme 411 are saying that with a bunch of the original deals coming up soon a lot of folk are not going to be resigned. If this means I never need to see Joey Janela or Sonny Kiss again then I am all for it.

6 month deal as he wasn't sure that he wanted to come out of "retirement". He's a roaster of the highest order. 
On that theme 411 are saying that with a bunch of the original deals coming up soon a lot of folk are not going to be resigned. If this means I never need to see Joey Janela or Sonny Kiss again then I am all for it.
Can definitely see alot of those types being allowed to leave.
Rush does have a bit of talent but he's not worth the drama that comes with him.
With people like miro, Kingston etc all off TV right now, it makes sense to let those contracts expire and build with better prospects. Plus sting is still better entertainment than 70% of the roster.

10 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

There are quite a few like that that were on TV nearly every week for a while, but havent been seen for ages (I dont watch dark or dark elevation so they may be on there). I would think the Dark Order guys are pretty safe this time around for obvious reasons, but a few probably will be gone in the next round of cuts. There are quite a few that I liked the Butcher and the Blade, etc that were getting decent air time, that seem to have been lost in the shuffle of the new signings.

I think AEW are well positioned to let 15 or 20 extra bodies go. They've established a good system of feeding talent good local and indie workers on Dark and Dark elevation for semi competitive squash wins so there isn't as pressing a need to "do something" with the jobbers like Janela and Avalon any more. Keep the upper and midcard for the main TV shows and it will help a lot.

I think Janela’s fine, and it keeps them in the GCW good books if he’s around. Wouldn’t feature him every week or anything but he’s had some really good matches with guys there and is a credible enough TV heel to wheel out when needed. 

The Butcher's had some injuries and was in a band. Which meant he would disappear on tour every once in a while. Every Time I Die just split up though. Hopefully he might be back a bit more and was there on the stairwell for the AHFO merger promo.

Going by Keith Buckley’s Twitter there’s no chance of them getting back together so aye would expect to see him back.

This is insane

I really liked the opening and closing matches, but outwith the great segment with Punk and MJF, I feel like they need to move on with some of the other feuds. Britt's promo was fine, but it was a bit pointless without setting up a new challenger for her. Private Party being number one tag contenders also seems a bit weird.

I'm glad that Cole & Co vs Best Friends now appears to be done and they can finally go with the proper Super Kliq break up angle.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

That ladder spot is literally jaw-dropping. It's fucking beautifully executed by both men, Sammy in particular.

Doubt they would've believed in their wildest dreams that that spot could've been hit so well. Absolutely ridiculous.