The AEW Thread

TheGoon

4 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Tony Khan decided to end the year by putting on a PR disaster masterclass.

I like that he wears his heart on his sleeve and is passionate but he really needs someone there to tell him when to talk and when not to.

Swole, rightly or wrongly in her stance, is the first wrestler post AEW to come out and say something negative about the company. He's never had to deal with that happening and should definitely have shut up and let her air what she wanted to air.

Edited by djchapsticks

For the record, I don't think Swole is correct in what she is saying. There is a very strong ethnic diversity in the AEW roster, many of whom are placed very well on the card.

The first four men's champions are white but at this point, is there really anyone who is positioned there who you'd say could make a genuine realistic crack at the title? Guevara, Kingston are both hispanic and will both certainly be in the reckoning in the next 18-24 months, Hobbs is another who will in time be a big player but he's really green and potentially Jay Lethal who is talented but rapey.

The company don't have a black star with the draw of a Bobby Lashley, a Big E, christ, even a Moose that they could currently present as a legitimate threat to the championship, so I don't agree with her standpoint on this whatsoever. If someone like Keith Lee jumped to AEW tomorrow, do you honestly believe he wouldn't be turfed in straight towards that top end of the card?

With regards to the women's division, 3 of the first 4 champions have been non-white as well. Not to mention the very real possibility of the first TBS Champion being a black woman. I think this may well be a Swole issue rather than a diversity or race issue here.

But Khan should definitely have STFU. I can give this opinion as I have no horse in the race. Him giving that opinion makes him look like the bad guy and the person overcompensating here.

55 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

For the record, I don't think Swole is correct in what she is saying. There is a very strong ethnic diversity in the AEW roster, many of whom are placed very well on the card.

The first four men's champions are white but at this point, is there really anyone who is positioned there who you'd say could make a genuine realistic crack at the title? Guevara, Kingston are both hispanic and will both certainly be in the reckoning in the next 18-24 months, Hobbs is another who will in time be a big player but he's really green and potentially Jay Lethal who is talented but rapey.

The company don't have a black star with the draw of a Bobby Lashley, a Big E, christ, even a Moose that they could currently present as a legitimate threat to the championship, so I don't agree with her standpoint on this whatsoever. If someone like Keith Lee jumped to AEW tomorrow, do you honestly believe he wouldn't be turfed in straight towards that top end of the card?

With regards to the women's division, 3 of the first 4 champions have been non-white as well. Not to mention the very real possibility of the first TBS Champion being a black woman. I think this may well be a Swole issue rather than a diversity or race issue here.

But Khan should definitely have STFU. I can give this opinion as I have no horse in the race. Him giving that opinion makes him look like the bad guy and the person overcompensating here.

Khan as a billionaire employer taking shots on social media is truly pathetic.

The lack of African American representation and women's wrestling in the company are pretty valid points. Both are changing. Jade Cargill's push and the introduction of the TBS being a point of intersection between the two. Others already on the roster are getting some time. Then Lee Moriarty, Jay Lethal, and Lio Rush being signed recently with the potential of others.

I do think part of this is coming from a place of being past by. The key point to me is a Black mother talking about her daughter not seeing herself/people that look like her family on TV. Hopefully the likes of Keith Lee and Shane Strickland are on their way.

I'm sure they're happy getting their FITE subs for those wanting it live & ITV money. 

I've been of the opinion that whenever they do their UK shows the partnership will get played up more. Weren't they going to do Fyter Fest over here in 2020? Which made it sound more like a special rather than bringing Dynamite over. 

Really interested to see what happens with Jade Cargill tonight. Just going on last week’s showing against Rosa, I don’t think she’s ready for a belt - but what do you do with her if she loses? The aura that compensates for her limited ability is near enough gone, and would they want two heel champions? 

23 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

What happened to wee Marco Stunt? Slowly phased out and replaced by Christian by the looks of things 

He got injured on an indie date a few months back. A mix of that and putting the greater emphasis on Christian dynamic has kept him off screen presumably.