The AEW Thread

TheGoon

2 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

As much as I still enjoy AEW, I feel it's slightly lost it's shine the bigger it's getting. Now it's filled with actual stars it just doesn't feel the same. Kinda like that feeling when you first get into a band and they're not well known it loses its shine when they get bigger, you can't fault their progress but just doesn't feel the same as it did at the beginning 

Loved Youth and Young Manhood, Aha Shake Heartbreak, didn't bother with Because of the Times! 

Owen Hart Cup announcement made. There are going to be two tournaments, one for the men and one for the women. Finals at Double of Nothing.

Going by the graphic the format will be a 16 person bracket. It's a small thing but i've always like the idea of doing a cup draw for a tournament like this that's spread across weeks. Maybe that's just the football fan in me.

Strong won't be joining them as he's apparently signed a new WWE deal but he wasn't in UE originally in NXT - it was only Cole, KOR & Fish anyway.

If the AEW bookers have any sense they have the UE go over the Elite & then maybe have them all holding gold shortly afterwards?

Cos it's all about the boom...

Well, I did not see that switch coming. Baffled to say the least, but interestingly they piped in boos for Cody for the first time. They could be going all in on him being a heel that doesn’t think he’s a heel which I think would be ideal.

Also, how fun is HOOK to watch? Bear Bronson was the perfect next opponent. Allowed him to look a million bucks.  

I love hook as much as the next man but no selling that Rikishi driver was unbelievable stupidity. His dad no selling pile drivers cames from the idea that his neck was fairly non existent (it was also moronic when Taz did it). Hook isn't in the same boat neck wise. A stupid, stupid decision.

10 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

I love hook as much as the next man but no selling that Rikishi driver was unbelievable stupidity. His dad no selling pile drivers cames from the idea that his neck was fairly non existent (it was also moronic when Taz did it). Hook isn't in the same boat neck wise. A stupid, stupid decision.

This for me too.  I'm probably being a contrarian dick, but finding the hype around him from most a bit grating (which is a shame, as from what I've seen, he's had a very strong start). I watched the video with zero context, and the driver looked pretty snug, so assumed it was about him getting fucked up off it.  To see him completely no-selling it is a really poor decision and takes you right out of something AEW have been doing quite well. If WWE pulled something like that, they'd (rightly) be getting the piss taken out of them.