The AEW Thread

TheGoon

15 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Punk being such a good talker who's got a great mind for the biz that's massively over and yet is clearly a total arsehole means you can easily spend months building a heel turn for him that he'd be great for.

Thing is, they need top level heels, especially if Page is going to get the belt. Omega and MJF are just about it for now.

Miro is there or thereabouts and will probably be the number one contender, Black is just not for getting booed, Adam Cole is too quotable to be sustainably hated and Cody is just his own entity.

The Moxley heel turn was bubbling along nicely until last week which is a shame. He'd have made a good first opponent for Page.

48 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Thing is, they need top level heels, especially if Page is going to get the belt. Omega and MJF are just about it for now.

That does remind me that MJF and Page faced off for the first Dynamite Diamond Ring. The 3rd edition of that must be round the corner, winning again or losing must spark the next feud for MJF if he moves on from Darby. Although I doubt they'd do him v. Hangman.

8 hours ago, TheGoon said:

Okada mention (and he’s in the US!) 

"I'm already in CHAOS, look I have a towel and everything!" 🤣

Thought Dynamite was pretty good. Although some of the good like Rush/Martin v. Sydal/Moriarty and the return of the HFO felt like major filler heading into Full Gear.

Plenty of things got teased for directions after the PPV as well. Which should be interesting if/when they pay off.

The ending was visually telegraphed which was the only problem I had with it.

4 hours ago, TheGoon said:

The Dynamites going into PPVs are always strange. They’ll have inconsequential stuff, and the rest is more to drive you to Saturday. Nevee really been a fan of it. 

I'd agree, it's like the old "go home" shows before a ppv but for some reason AEW don't want to give anything away so they put on a lacklustre show 

Excellent show, but they might want to speak to WWE about adding a couple of pee breaks in there.

The ending to the main event was perfect. It's nice when a build pays off in a way that rewards the fans who've paid attention.

The punk v Eddie match was great too.

Have to say, even ignoring the allegations against the guy, Jay Lethal does nothing for me. A 3-4 match stint or something would’ve been fine, but as a full time signing I really don’t get that one. 

Unless they’ve somehow got Xavier Woods coming in, then I’ll allow it. 

My second AEW PPV, and...aye, it was obviously very good.  Still think there's a few areas they could still really improve on to take a clear spot at the top of the industry, and they were pretty clear during the show.  In-ring, obviously it's consistently better than their rivals.  WWE can put on great matches when they can be arsed, but it's by no means consistent and usually offset by absolutely baffling decisions.  Presentation though...they're definitely getting there, but a lot of aspects are bordering on disappointing.  

One that jumps out to me is the video packages.  I don't watch the weekly product, so only really get to know what's going on via the odd post on here.  I don't really watch weekly WWE either, but difference comes that when we get to a PPV, unless it's an absolutely nothing match, you're going to get a short video that gives you a rundown of why we're here.  THey're not always great, but when they are, they can elevate the match even further.  Take Punk/Kingston.  A great match, but people were talking prior to it how they were absolutely sold on it in the lead up.  But for those like me (and maybe I'm a tiny minority) you wouldn't know it from the package.  Punk says a few things, then we're straight in.  Even Omega/Page, which I understand was one of the most perfectly built, long-term stories in wrestling let alone AEW, they didn't really stick the landing.  That's the sort of story we'd have likely had one of the epic video packages for in WWE (and then granted, probably a far more disappointing match afterward). As well as that, for me they need to do something about throwing back to the commentary team.  Whenever they did, you're met with them sitting in this weird, shitty looking grey box, with the slumped ghost of JR sitting in the middle.  I'm not going down the Vince route of believing you can't put his face on TV, but they could surely make it look more big-time than they are.

So as not to sound like a complete moaning dick, other than the above, a great show from top to bottom.  Imagine it'll be significantly better than whatever WWE manage to shit out next weekend.

I felt that way about video packages too for ages, but I can kinda see their perspective now. Anyone that’s bought the PPVs already knows those stories, and it’d just make the show even longer by including them. 

100% feel they could do with them on TV for establishing the likes of Romero, Gage, Ishii etc when they appear though.