The AEW Thread

TheGoon

17 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I don't know what their plans are going to be. Even before the injury there was mention of Dax(?) retiring by 40, which admittedly is a few years away.

My take on it is they're workers. However bad the injury was, they've been able to work a match since then. I don't know if there's a run in them left but I wouldn't be shocked to see them wrestle again.

I hope you're right. Love the guys and they deserve a fair run at it.

25 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

I’ve just realised you’re the same guy that thought CM Punk needed squash matches as well. Fair play for so openly broadcasting these mental views.

People who's views that differ yours are 'mental'?

Interesting phrase to use. Certainly one I wouldn't but you crack on chief. Especially as I didn't say he needed it either.

5 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Interesting to see where they go with the tag team titles now, obvious choice for next champions would be Santana & Ortiz who seem massively popular now but that's a fair bit down the line so interesting to see what's coming next, if The Bucks continue the feud or a completely different team 

Time for the Bucks to step away from the picture for now to be honest. They don't need the rub of the titles and the whole 'EVPs who always win' shtick is wearing thin. 

Cody on the other hand went for the 'EVP who'll never get a title shot' angle early doors and I think most folk expected that to be a long-term booking plan for him to somehow win his way into that spot but in all honesty, given he works a very patchy schedule and the other outrageous talent they now have at their disposal, the ship of him being a main eventer in AEW has well and truly sailed.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Cody on the other hand went for the 'EVP who'll never get a title shot' angle early doors and I think most folk expected that to be a long-term booking plan for him to somehow win his way into that spot but in all honesty, given he works a very patchy schedule and the other outrageous talent they now have at their disposal, the ship of him being a main eventer in AEW has well and truly sailed.

I only saw him winning the World Title if MJF was holding it, and even back then that seemed a long way off.

We now know he was chasing D-level celeb status with the Go Big Show and it seems like they've been filming their reality show for a while. I also reckon they may have had the idea for what would become the TNT title. Wanting a second singles title, but not a "secondary" title and he saw a chance to make his mark that way.

On 05/09/2021 at 19:52, #Gary said:

I've been away from wrestling for years now with the exception of royal rumble and wrestlemania but still check in now and again.

Been watching the last few weeks of AEW since the Punk return and I can't say I've been too impressed. Maybe wrestling just isn't for me anymore even though I would like it to be. Why does every single wrestler have someone ringside with them? I feel like almost every single match has outside interference as well which is s bit tiresome.

Jericho on commentary on the shorter show is pretty painful to listen to, and I've always been a fan of him generally.

The best thing about the show is Punk, Jericho, Orange Cassidy and Jungle Boy's entrances...

I'll give the PPV tonight a watch at some point tomorrow but I'm a bit disappointed that it's just not doing it for me. 

Erm... 

Couldn't be happier that I gave the PPV a chance as it was excellent from start to finish. Really enjoyed it and they've definitely got me for a bit longer after that! 

I got pretty bored catching up on the posts in this thread right enough...

30 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Has anyone watched the ending numerous times? 

Fucking goosebumps. 

Yup.

Think everyone expected The Final Countdown for Danielson but Flight of the Valkyries is public domain, so I always just assumed a version of that would be used.

Danielson just looks amazing still, even that wee bit he did in the ring was crisp and perfect.

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Yup.

Think everyone expected The Final Countdown for Danielson but Flight of the Valkyries is public domain, so I always just assumed a version of that would be used.

Danielson just looks amazing still, even that wee bit he did in the ring was crisp and perfect.

There's a tweet out there from someone with ROH at the time of going to ppv. Europe were asking for 50k a pop. 

8 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

There's a tweet out there from someone with ROH at the time of going to ppv. Europe were asking for 50k a pop. 

:lol:

Thing is as well, I think it's pretty shite as an entrance theme. It starts too soft and takes ages to kick in but by same token you can't just skip the synthesiser opening as it's the hook of the entire song.

Valkyries is much better, it gives off a much more grandiose feel. Much like Flair with his theme.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

:lol:

Thing is as well, I think it's pretty shite as an entrance theme. It starts too soft and takes ages to kick in but by same token you can't just skip the synthesiser opening as it's the hook of the entire song.

Valkyries is much better, it gives off a much more grandiose feel. Much like Flair with his theme.

I think there's just a bit of romanticism to it for some people. I've never felt it as a theme either. 

Talking of old entrances. This has reminded me of MJF trolling 😂

I cant say I have been in from the start on AEW as I only really started watching when Matt Hardy moved over and the first Stadium Stampede match, and it does seem to be getting better every week. I get the concerns on the concerns on the bloated roster and just hope guys like Orange Cassidy, MJF, Page, Jungle Boy, Archer, Gueverra etc that have been mainstays dont get pushed down / off the card with Punk, Danielson, Cole, not to mention Andrade also.

Most of the guys coming in have made the right noises about building the young talent, although how much of that is a dig at WWE not building main event guys and just putting over old talent im not sure, but they are making the right noises at the moment. Especially at a time when WWE are actively going back to the 6'4" plus 250lbs guys I can see the style of matches being chalk and cheese.

At the moment I would compare WWE to champions league football, and AEW to watching Ayr during the years we had Shankland. You know the Champion league is where all the best players are, and supposedly the best football, but I never watch it, but re-watching Ayr scud Dundee Utd 5-0 playing fantastic football is soo much better.

33 minutes ago, Slacker said:

For someone who's watched some AEW but not all of it, is there a better AEW match out there than The Young Bucks v Lucha Brothers for me to check out?

Young Bucks v. Hangman & Omega at Revolution 2020. Tends to get the most recognition.

There was Cody v. Dustin at Double or Nothing 2019.

Best Friends v. Santana & Ortiz in a Parking Lot Brawl which was an episode of Dynamite. Britt Baker v. Thunder Rosa Lights Out was another one on Dynamite.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Young Bucks v. Hangman & Omega at Revolution 2020. Tends to get the most recognition.

There was Cody v. Dustin at Double or Nothing 2019.

Best Friends v. Santana & Ortiz in a Parking Lot Brawl which was an episode of Dynamite. Britt Baker v. Thunder Rosa Lights Out was another one on Dynamite.

Yeah the top two were exactly the ones I was going to mention as well. Fantastic storytelling in both

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

I cant say I have been in from the start on AEW as I only really started watching when Matt Hardy moved over and the first Stadium Stampede match, and it does seem to be getting better every week. I get the concerns on the concerns on the bloated roster and just hope guys like Orange Cassidy, MJF, Page, Jungle Boy, Archer, Gueverra etc that have been mainstays dont get pushed down / off the card with Punk, Danielson, Cole, not to mention Andrade also.

Most of the guys coming in have made the right noises about building the young talent, although how much of that is a dig at WWE not building main event guys and just putting over old talent im not sure, but they are making the right noises at the moment. Especially at a time when WWE are actively going back to the 6'4" plus 250lbs guys I can see the style of matches being chalk and cheese.

At the moment I would compare WWE to champions league football, and AEW to watching Ayr during the years we had Shankland. You know the Champion league is where all the best players are, and supposedly the best football, but I never watch it, but re-watching Ayr scud Dundee Utd 5-0 playing fantastic football is soo much better.

I get the analogy, I wouldn’t say WWE’s where all the best talent is. AEW have a better overall roster.

Obviously, yer part timers like Brock, Rock, Cena etc aye there’s no comparison, but week to week I’d say AEW’s got the stronger lineup now.