The AEW Thread

TheGoon

Just now, Merkland Red said:

As I said before, they seem to be consistent in hitting a high number and then it settles down again. Usually they hit a high number when a big show is coming or a big star makes an appearance (Shaq/Tyson etc). Then it settles down.

There's a lot of buzz around Punk and Bryan at the minute. I said at the time Bryan was heavily rumoured as being a done deal that I expect them to hit a high number for a period of time before settling back down to the usual 700-800k.

I'm happy for you to bookmark this and tell me I was wrong in 6 months.

As I said earlier, we aren't going to agree. No point going over and over the same thing.

You’re making daft points though. You’ve suggested the mere rumour of Punk returning to the ring added hundreds of thousands of viewers to them, but him actually being on the show (amongst others) won’t actually = tangible growth. Bizarre stuff. 

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

🤣

The numbers seem to shoot up right around where it was rumoured they were signing Punk and Bryan. No?

The hit one million every week since mid July. Hadn't hit it since May.

Yeah, being back on Wednesdays after 5+ weeks punted for the NBA Playoffs, also being back on the road, and promoting the run of shows as special episodes had nothing to do with it. There was also no MTV Challenge with shite Olympics coverage in the US meant they were largely unopposed.

None of that factored into the run of 1m+ shows at all. All just internet lads deciding to watch the telly for some rumours.

3 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

You’re making daft points though. You’ve suggested the mere rumour of Punk returning to the ring added hundreds of thousands of viewers to them, but him actually being on the show (amongst others) won’t actually = tangible growth. Bizarre stuff. 

What?

I said I expect they'll get big numbers initially and then the 'new' or 'lapsed' fans tend to not stick around because of the other nonsense on the show.

It's exactly why I said Punk going 50/50 with midcarders is bad because then he's just another guy.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

What?

I said I expect they'll get big numbers initially and then the 'new' or 'lapsed' fans tend to not stick around because of the other nonsense on the show.

It's exactly why I said Punk going 50/50 with midcarders is bad because then he's just another guy.

And I’ve asked you why CM Punk, who’s never needed squash matches, now somehow requires squash matches. 

2 hours ago, forameus said:

That's the famous Bryan segment isn't it? That was fucking brilliant stuff. How many in that ring are now punted and/or with AEW? Bryan, Punk, Christian, Show, Henry...

One of the best segments in the past 10 years. 

5 hours ago, EUCFC said:

CM punk looked awful, small rather pathetic looking.  Way over the top reaction to him coming back after so long all rather pointless especially with the track record of this joke of a company in ruining anyone half decent ie FTR and MJF. 

f**k off 

1 hour ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Probably the worst fishing attempt I've ever witnessed on here 

Even worse than that zoomer rangers fan a couple of years ago who occasionally used to come on go "hahaha wrestling" then go in the huff when he was verbally evicereated. 

7 hours ago, EUCFC said:

CM punk looked awful, small rather pathetic looking.  Way over the top reaction to him coming back after so long all rather pointless especially with the track record of this joke of a company in ruining anyone half decent ie FTR and MJF. 

Vice Tv Whatever GIF by DARK SIDE OF THE RING

On 22/08/2021 at 18:18, cb_diamond said:

Vice Tv Whatever GIF by DARK SIDE OF THE RING

Even Jim Cornette likes Punk and he says AEW got it absolutely spot on. He went as far as saying, it's not the way he'd have brought in Punk but having watched the show, they done it better than his idea.

Amazing video that goes to show the power of work production does on just one segment of live TV. Starts at about the 5:50 mark and it's fascinating.

These guys are masters of their craft and I mean both the camera crew and directors.