The AEW Thread

TheGoon

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Better than basically his entire WWE run.

It's great seeing Sting in AEW after the shambles that was his WWE run, genuinely looks like he's enjoying himself again and the way he's being used is absolutely spot on 

Thunder Rosa's now official. I wonder if they'll go with Britt Baker and her at All Out?

EDIT: With Wheeler Yuta appearing around the time of the NJPW relationship, I thought he was one of their young lions out on excursion. Nope! He's a US indie wrestler.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Are we expecting Bryan to have Flight of the Valkyrie or The Final Countdown as his music?

Europe wanted silly money from ROH back in the day for it, not sure if they’ve changed their tune now. Even if it’s just for his first appearance though, they need to fork out for it. 

51 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

The big special tonight has a card that is either going to be absolutely brilliant or a bit of a let down, no in between. Having said that FTR Vs PnP will be an absolute and utter banger no matter what.

In terms of drama, the 5 on 5 could be a cracker too, hopefully. 

How big is AEW's roster? I've not seen them punt many but continually stockpile. I know they're getting their second show soon, but seems quite stacked. What have they been doing with Paul Wight, Mark Henry and on the wrestling front, Christian since they've signed? Anyone know who'll be the commentary team for the second show yet?

Wight’s a commentator, Henry’s a coach/media guy. Both will probably have a match or two in the future. Christian’s been involved with Jungle Boy, kinda in the same role Sting is but more active. He’ll probably be a better Frankie Kazarian, that kinda role, which is fine for his age. A lot of deals are up next year and they’ll have decisions to make though. 

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

How big is AEW's roster? I've not seen them punt many but continually stockpile. I know they're getting their second show soon, but seems quite stacked. What have they been doing with Paul Wight, Mark Henry and on the wrestling front, Christian since they've signed? Anyone know who'll be the commentary team for the second show yet?

It's quite big, but it's not like they're all on "star" contracts. You've got some on developmental type deals and those that are pulling double duty in outside the ring roles.

I think a lot gets made out of it, but I'm not sure it would be much different than say WWF in 1998 when all they had was Raw as their main show with Smackdown and Heat still to come.

I went through the roster page a wee while ago cause I had the same thought as Ludo, but there’s very few names that don’t have some kind of place/aren’t involved in one of the storylines. Guys that could be punted, but it’s the like of Shawn Dean & Brandon Cutler who you can’t imagine are on much, and seem fine enough being enhancement guys. 

9 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

I went through the roster page a wee while ago cause I had the same thought as Ludo, but there’s very few names that don’t have some kind of place/aren’t involved in one of the storylines. Guys that could be punted, but it’s the like of Shawn Dean & Brandon Cutler who you can’t imagine are on much, and seem fine enough being enhancement guys. 

Cutler's one of those on double duty. His background with BTE got him picked up for similar duties in AEW.

Shawn Dean though I think might be a bit of a project. If they didn't see something in him, they didn't need to sign him up. There's plenty of other COVID era Dark talents that never got picked up.

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Cutler's one of those on double duty. His background with BTE got him picked up for similar duties in AEW.

Shawn Dean though I think might be a bit of a project. If they didn't see something in him, they didn't need to sign him up. There's plenty of other COVID era Dark talents that never got picked up.

Dean’s record a wee while ago was 0-35, think the big man’s managed some wins since 

5 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Dean’s record a wee while ago was 0-35, think the big man’s managed some wins since 

I basically dropped most of Dark once COVID hit, and haven't really touched Elevation. The near 2 hours of little consequence wasn't that appealing. Hopefully for him they're going the more Japan 'young boy' route where he was getting gradually improving losses and tags where a weaker partner was taking the fall.

They've been able to find spots for similar talents that looked kind of bland in the beginning. Griff Garrison went from Jungle Boy??? to Varsity Blond. Will Hobbs became Powerhouse. At least the Captain has avoided being dragged into the Factory / Nightmare Family feud that some of the other Dark job squad have.

When you consider that WWE have an active roster well over 200 it's not so bad. Did see last week that a lot of Dark and Elevation regulars who weren't contracted were not going to be getting booked as they go on the road.

1 minute ago, TheGoon said:

Great, great match. Not the direction I expected them to go in, but plenty time till All Out. Risky, but they’ve handled Page well so far. 

Expected a DQ to eliminate Omega. Still hasn't been a single one in AEW, although a lot of the matches seem to have no rules/shit refs