The AEW Thread

TheGoon

1 hour ago, CEMSFC said:

Ogogo should be winning this...

which means Cody will win 😒

Fs

What was the point in all of the students turning if they just lose each match against the Nightmare Factory lads? Pointless

Also, what was the point in building up Ogogo's gut punch as a match ender, just for Cody to be hit by 3/4 and be fine? You'd think he'd sell the injury when he hit the match ender (Vertebreaker) but it didn't affect him at all.

If this ends up with them saying that QT is nothing without Cody etc then I'll be disappointed. 

1 hour ago, TheGoon said:

62 year old Sting doing stage dives. Absolutely class.

He looked tremendous. Really, really happy for him. Deserves to end his career on his terms and not on the receiving end of HHH's golden shovel/buckle bomb bullshit.

I wasn’t really into Stadium Stampede, and there were way, way too many distraction finishes - but other than that it was really, really strong, the title matches all delivering. Inner Circle sticking around is surprising too. I’m not sick of them, but just not really sure where else they go, I guess we’ll see. 

This time next year, Sting vs Jungle Boy imo.

6 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

I wasn’t really into Stadium Stampede, and there were way, way too many distraction finishes - but other than that it was really, really strong, the title matches all delivering. Inner Circle sticking around is surprising too. I’m not sick of them, but just not really sure where else they go, I guess we’ll see. 

This time next year, Sting vs Jungle Boy imo.

I have a feeling we'll get another match between the factions. 

Not sure what else the Inner Circle can do as a group after facing the Pinnacle, unless they face The Elite again with the face/heel dynamics changed. 

Speaking of commentators, they're fairly stockpiling them just now.

JR, Excalibur, Tony Schiavone, Don Callis, Taz, Big Show and now Mark Henry being announced as an 'analyst'.

I get that they'll have two shows, but they seem heavy on the 'colour' guys. Callis is still predominantly with Impact so unless they mix-up JR and Schiavone the secondary show is gonna have Taz, Big Show and Mark Henry as their 3 man team. Who's the play by play guy in that situation?

They’ve git a decision to make on JR. He still has something to add, he should 100% be wheeled out for big matches/main events - but he’s their worst overall announcer by a distance, and shouldn’t be calling full shows. 

11 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

They’ve git a decision to make on JR. He still has something to add, he should 100% be wheeled out for big matches/main events - but he’s their worst overall announcer by a distance, and shouldn’t be calling full shows. 

I love JR but the amount of mistakes he makes and random tangents he goes on is cringe worthy. Big one obviously saying Pac was from Wales then the whole stumbling around after trying to sort out his mistake. Saying that, I'd genuinely really miss his voice if he left 

1 hour ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I love JR but the amount of mistakes he makes and random tangents he goes on is cringe worthy. Big one obviously saying Pac was from Wales then the whole stumbling around after trying to sort out his mistake. Saying that, I'd genuinely really miss his voice if he left 

Aye same, that’s why I’d still have him on the shows, just not for everything. I can’t see him going for that though. 

I'd say my only gripe with AEW  at the moment is the fact it's all heading for Adam Page to win the title, it's been excellent long term storytelling and the crowd will go mental when it happens but just seems to make all other title matches inevitable. Last night had it's moments and at times I thought we get a massive swerve but clearly not.

Edited by Bert Raccoon

That was great fun! Really enjoyed it. 

As others have said, Hangman is crazy over. The opening match was a tremendous sprint with loads of crowd popping stuff. Cage could be getting the boot from Team Taz, but he does hold the FTW belt.

Tag title match was great. Mox and Eddie were also massively over. Matt aping wrestler poses was amusing.

I'm a sucker for Battle Royales so I was always going to enjoy this one. Jungle Boy's theme, as expected, is massive with a live crowd. An absolutely perfect theme tune! He was the right guy to win. Lio Rush was meh. Not particularly a fan of him. How fucking huge is that Comoroto lad though?! Did Christian tan his tights to match his body? Max Caster's rap was immense, especially his line to Christian about Edge.

I intensely dislike 'rah-rah patriotism bullshit', especially the American version of it. I despise the deification of the military, especially the American version. The whole 'USA! USA!' stuff is fucking nonsense. A grossly corrupt country where people would rather get an Uber to hospital than an ambulance because the ambulance costs so much and where they have 'at will' employment laws, yet they try to say it's the greatest country in the world. Get fucked. Anyway, how was Cody the face here?! A guy coming from wrestling privilege, who was born in to the business and who had all the advantages in said business to get ahead, who was pushing the patriotism shite hard and who was fighting a disabled man who has a remarkable babyface story is the good guy here? Nah, pish. Bolt Cody ya dick! Also, did they announce Ogogo as being from 'East England'?! Anyway, it was a decent match and Ogogo looked really good in the ring.

The Miro vs Archer match was a good come down in pace yet didn't suffer in quality. It allowed the crowd to chill a bit. Laughed at Miro chucking the snake away. Excellent patter there. Right winner here.

The women's match was good, albeit a bit botchy, as Shida matches tend to be. Baker was well over here, so right outcome having her win. I don't know what it is about Shida but I just feel some of her stuff is too 'fake' if you know what I mean? She isn't bad at all, but sometimes she does stuff or even moves in a certain way where it sort of takes you out of it.

Sting and Darby vs Sky and Page was great! Loved the Sting and Allan entrance video. Sting can still fucking go! Dude looked like he was at least a decade younger in the ring. Hugely enjoyable stuff here. They've really used Sting perfectly since signing him.

The title match was good fun, but it did feel too often that Omega simply wasn't losing which harmed it a bit, although there was one moment when I thought Orange was going to do it. Nice to see the tree and wall from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves in Pac's video.

The Stampede match was daft, enjoyable stuff. Konan being the DJ got a good pop. The two tag teams got a bit short changed here I thought. The Jericho/MJF stuff was the clear highlight of this match. Tremendous physical and verbal exchanges between those two. Spears remains utterly bland.

Mark Henry is totally meh. Never rated the guy, but sounds like he isn't going to be a wrestler. 

JR needs to be removed. Sad to say, but too many times he was talking shit and stumbling over things. 

Edited by DA Baracus