The AEW Thread

TheGoon

Gutted about this, more so than most wrestling/celebrity deaths. The poor guy was meant to debut for AEW in his hometown the week covid shut everything down, and he never got to perform in front of a proper crowd for the company. Despite that he was one of the highlights of wrestling this year for me in his matches with Moxley and Cody and he turned the Dark Order from a joke group into a serious threat, his skits on BTE with John Silver especially were also some of the funniest i've seen in wrestling in years, he was really coming into his own finally after years of being misused by WWE. Dread to think how his family must be feeling if someone who just watched him play a character on tv is cut up about it. R.I.P. big man.

7 minutes ago, Miguel Simao said:

Gutted about this, more so than most wrestling/celebrity deaths. The poor guy was meant to debut for AEW in his hometown the week covid shut everything down, and he never got to perform in front of a proper crowd for the company. Despite that he was one of the highlights of wrestling this year for me in his matches with Moxley and Cody and he turned the Dark Order from a joke group into a serious threat, his skits on BTE with John Silver especially were also some of the funniest i've seen in wrestling in years, he was really coming into his own finally after years of being misused by WWE. Dread to think how his family must be feeling if someone who just watched him play a character on tv is cut up about it. R.I.P. big man.

They are all shockers when they happen but the age, the circumstances of his death and the fact that we all knew his story to get where he was makes it such a bitter one.

Lionheart and Eddie are the only other two I think that have had that same gut punch, 'what the f**k' reaction in my opinion.

Love that card. Never watch BTE either but caught it this week and thoroughly enjoyed it. Was a bit annoyed WWE never did a bell toll for him last night but I think they’re putting something together for SmackDown which is good.

3 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Love that card. Never watch BTE either but caught it this week and thoroughly enjoyed it. Was a bit annoyed WWE never did a bell toll for him last night but I think they’re putting something together for SmackDown which is good.

They filmed a bunch of tributes before RAW so they're definitely doing something at some point.

8 hours ago, CEMSFC said:

Just to expand on that, Schiavone talk about it in his podcast and he paints a very bleak and tragic picture of what was going on behind the scenes. 

It looks like he's just became very sick all of a sudden and deteriorated rapidly. Also everyone in AEW knew how bleak the outlook was and could do nothing but hope for the best and keep his wife and family close. Fucking horrifying. 

https://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/brodie-lees-son-signed-to-legitimate-aew-contract-tony-schiavone-comments

Edited by djchapsticks

Jesus. Just watched the show. Genuinely struggled at points there. That was amazingly well done. I have no idea why this one has literally taken the feet from underneath me. I'm not an overly emotional person in general but have struggled with it all massively since BL died. I suspect a sense of own mortality as same age and with a family as well. God damn. Beautiful show.