The AEW Thread

TheGoon

Pretty solid main event given Jericho’s limitations. 100% the right outcome - they had to strike when the iron was hot with Mox. 

Really fun show. I’m still not over how good that tag match was.

They were pulling shit from years ago, and paying off so much different stuff. I think if you never knew the rivalry leading to it, it'd still be a great match, but the way that they incorporated so much was really rewarding for folk following AEW as well.

I stick by my original hyperbole, but bear in mind I'm a massive mark for good tag wrestling. That was one of the best matches I've ever seen.

I'm delighted there was no blow off to the whole Elite angle last night. There is still mileage in it and the double tease with Bucks and Omega standing side on to Page at one point as if about to superkick him and then Page teasing the lariat a few seconds later was subtle and brilliant.

A theme of the night seemed to be how smartly worked the matches were. Orange Cassidy vs. PAC was another great example. Having PAC toying with Cassidy in the early going allowed us to get the usual shenanigans while allowing PAC to come off still being the hard b*****d. I was a touch worried about how the match would play out in regards to how PAC would look, but they did it really well.

I'm with the lad on here that thought AEW went pretty stale and took a bit of abuse. Until about 4-5 weeks ago when it really started building for last night, I think it'd become pretty flat for the casual viewer. I get that for your hardcore it might be serving up far a better show than Raw & SmackDown, but I don't necessarily think that's enough to draw casual fans back and for me, NXT began to better it with ease (probably benefitting from a PPV being a little closer, too).

AEW definitely picked up in the run up to this, and I think I'd go as far as saying last night was the best PPV I've seen, with everyone raising their game as they should. I generally dislike tag team wrestling matches, and don't get the hype behind superkicking a c**t every 3 seconds, hot tags and the like, but every moment felt well thought out in that match and almost as thought it was proving a point that it can be far more than the usual tropes - it couldn't have been any better, really.

I didn't watch the women's match but every other match felt meaningful. Guevara v Allin (especially), Pac v Cassidy and MJF v Cody were all great, while Hager v Dustin & Jericho v Mox did what they had to do. Everything was entertaining.  Sammy is ridiculously good all round. 

Personally, I think AEW would benefit hugely from upping the number of PPVs they have. The gap between feels way too long and I think they'd be able to sustain momentum more easily with one every two months. Hopefully the War Games style thing helps bridge the gap to the next one a bit.

8 minutes ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Personally, I think AEW would benefit hugely from upping the number of PPVs they have. The gap between feels way too long and I think they'd be able to sustain momentum more easily with one every two months. Hopefully the War Games style thing helps bridge the gap to the next one a bit.

The only problem I'd have with that, is that I much prefer the slow storyline build rather than the 1 month feud that more regular PPV's seem to encourage.

I think the format is fine as it is. A big reason the recent weeks worked so well is that they used the time to slowly build these characters. I don't think you'd get the sort of product that AEW have been throwing out there if you made PPVs more regular. I could see the quality go down big time.

12 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

The only problem I'd have with that, is that I much prefer the slow storyline build rather than the 1 month feud that more regular PPV's seem to encourage.

I think that's why I'd stick it to once every two months rather than matching up with the one a month model. A happy medium.