The AEW Thread

TheGoon

"Hey guys, we've got this new really talented guy called Steve Austin. He's a really good worker and can cut a great promo. I really think he can be a top guy in a couple of years, so I think we should push him."

"Great, let's do it! What do you have in mind?"

"Well, despite the fact that he's not the only one that has blonde hair, we'll call him Blondie A and base his entire gimmick around a single characteristic, as if that one characteristic, which remember is in no way unique and hasn't been a deterrent for loads of guys before him, totally defines him. We'll make him look like a total p***k and pretty much bully him on national TV for no discernible reason. We'll ensure that we highlight, every single time, that he has blonde hair, even when his opponent(s) and/or team mate(s) also have blonde hair. We'll give him a horrendous outfit that hides his great physique and makes him look like a total gimp who the fans could never take seriously. The outfit will of course totally emphasise that he's blonde."

"Sounds brilliant! Let's do it and then definitely not be forced to bring back actual stars from decades ago to increasingly diminishing returns because our current guys can't get over!"

Edited by DA Baracus

17 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

So many of the roster are almost certainly good to great talkers, but when they're handed such awful, dated and unfunny lines it simply makes them look like idiots and does nothing for their characters.

The storylines and character writing are awful too. A fucking 'sexiversary' and Lana having to spell out that 9 is more than 7, Rowan having something in a cage that he talks to like a baby, Short G etc. WWE seem to absolutely despise their audience.

And most of those on the roster who came up from NXT spent months and months with Dusty on promos, learning how to deliver, difference in little speech inflections, working a crowd, speaking with purpose and coherence. Delivering a fucking promo. 

Then once that's done, it doesn't ever get used.... the writers fire a script under their nose and go 'learn it' 

But back onto AEW. 

Something about MJF's expressions, mannerisms, speech patterns reminds me a lot of EC3 when he was in full flow on Impact. Can't quite put my finger on it but it's definitely there. 

MJF is great though. An absolute star in the making. As an aside, I can only hope that Marty Scurll does the right thing and shows up in AEW. The poor b*****d would probably end up saddled with 'Party Marty' again if he rocked up in WWE and everyone knows we always need an Adam Rose or No Way Jose type on the show as conga lines and folk dressed up as animals is the way the youngsters today like to 'party on down', isn't it Vince?! :lol:

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

But back onto AEW. 

Something about MJF's expressions, mannerisms, speech patterns reminds me a lot of EC3 when he was in full flow on Impact. Can't quite put my finger on it but it's definitely there. 

MJF is great though. An absolute star in the making. As an aside, I can only hope that Marty Scurll does the right thing and shows up in AEW. The poor b*****d would probably end up saddled with 'Party Marty' again if he rocked up in WWE and everyone knows we always need an Adam Rose or No Way Jose type on the show as conga lines and folk dressed up as animals is the way the youngsters today like to 'party on down', isn't it Vince?! :lol:

I get what you mean with the EC3 comparisons. There's definitely quite a few similarities there. The characters are quite alike too. Shame to see what's happened with EC3. He was brilliant as a top guy in TNA.

Scurll has to avoid NXT at all costs. He'd be horribly misused and probably saddled with boring, unimaginative 'British' comedy pish like Jack Gallagher was. He's even got his own umbrella! He needs to be allowed to keep his character. 

I can't see him going anywhere but AEW. His pals are there, the crowd already know and like him and he'd feature quite prominently.

8 hours ago, TheGoon said:

I really miss Impact EC3. I thought even WWE couldn’t mess up a guy as good as him, but here we are. I’d love to see him elsewhere.

It really is bizarre how incredibly badly they've fucked him.

He's pretty much everything Vince wants. He's big and built and in incredible shape. He's one of the best talkers around and has a great character. He's absolutely ideal.

Yet they've buried him completely. Apparently they were fuming that he got booed when fighting Ambrose and are still punishing him for it. Ambrose was on his 'farewell' tour so fans were always going to cheer him and booo his opponent. It's as if Vince McMahon et al really have very little idea how things actually work and instead are determined to force their own antiquated and shite version of things on to everyone...

He's an absolute star, the guy.

It's shocking that they pissed on him not once, but twice. Firstly as a young developmental talent saddled with a gimmick that amounted to him looking like a halfwit at every opportunity. So they let him go and he absolutely broke out and shone in another promotion with a persona that fitted him perfectly, only for them to re-sign him and completely f**k him up a second time. And the fact is, there's nothing lacking in him either. He's got the perfect WWE look, is brilliant with a mic and can go as well. 

Thing is though, I don't even think he'd end up in AEW or elsewhere. The way his tweets read makes me think that the whole experience this time around has him completely scunnered. 

It's Cody that's made me realise just how shit WWE is. How can someone be that big a star and WWE just completely not see it? That promo before Full Gear was absolutely golden. And he'd been on insane form before that. He's a superstar. One of the biggest blown opportunities in WWE history.

Really good show this week, top opener and main event. For a guy I hadn’t even heard of a few months ago Darby is fast becoming one of my favourites, and I think it’s the same for a lot of people. Another great showing from him.

So we're a few weeks in now, what's everyone's thoughts on AEW?

Personally, I am really enjoying it & on the Thursdays where I am off or have a late shift, I've been staying up & watching Dynamite live.

It's a lot less polished than WWE, but I really like that.  They are very much going through a ''getting to know'' the roster type phase at the moment & are slowly building up characters & story lines.  I honestly can't see anything other than it going from strength to strength.

On the EC3 chat........as you've said djchapsticks, the guy seems completely & totally gone, in terms of being invested in his work & at present is just going through the motions, running down his contract.  Whether a release can rejuvenate him remains to be seen, but we do know how good he is.  I'm going back a few years, but his run in TNA/Impact with Dixie Carter as his Aunt etc was great & at a time where I really enjoyed Impact.  I've actually been watching a bit of it recently & I've been enjoying it.  It certainly lost its way for a while there, but they seem to have found something again & hopefully they continue to improve.

Another company I've watched a lot of recently has been NWA & their new Powerrr episodes on their YouTube Channel.  Very old skool feel to it, but thoroughly enjoying it too.  Loads of choice out there for wrestling fans at the moment.  Apart from watching highlights of NXT on YouTube & highlights of PPV's, I can't remember the last time I sat & watched a full episode of Smackdown or Raw.  In a way, WWE is like Ayr Utd.  So much potential but ran by numpties.

I look forward to AEW every week, watch it live and it breezes past. My only major complaint at this stage would be the lack of storylines for the women, but something is at least happening with Brandi & Kong.