The AEW Thread

TheGoon

Deserving of a topic on its own I think. All Elite Wrestling is finally nearly here and the hype is real. They've put together a fantastic looking roster, have some really talented people working behind the scenes as well, and crucially broadcast deals that should get them even more exposure over here and in the US. Weekly TV won't be hitting ITV or TNT until October though, until then there's 3 live events lined up - starting with Double or Nothing, at the sold-out MGM Grand in Las Vegas on Sunday. They've put together a very decent card to kick things off.

Pre-show - Live on ITV 4

5ce43a3a98965_AEWKip.jpg.eb3448d2773623e769415ec32643f4bc.jpg

5ce43af4e8652_AEWBR.thumb.jpg.6d7bb19554fbcdbcf948e7cfebae633c.jpg

Main Card - Live on ITV Box Office 

gjw1fabuuia.thumb.jpg.d009c40df7be9139248dfe240abfef35.jpg

Bildschirmfoto-2019-05-17-um-12_59.03-1068x596.thumb.png.d322c5a0a95a2611038519d88c5e0977.png

5ce43c8aea073_AEWSCU.jpg.fe900957d5be121d1a7c8cb28e0bb571.jpg

5ce43cb9ad73c_AEWBestFriends.jpg.cdf42bf53737a2ece61357bbec0a9b0a.jpg

5ce43da87a3a9_AEWWomen.thumb.PNG.e56fd7ea0963498060ee4e09eb7895b6.PNG

5ce43e64ea1d9_AEWWomen2.thumb.PNG.9c560c83993a3fb467ab7e84dfecaf10.PNG

5ce43e9566c06_AEWBucks.thumb.PNG.73dad8145fc8a3a3bcee28efc555ac33.PNG

Then, there is of course Adam Page vs PAC, which is now being listed as "canceled" on AEW's website. They did actually face each other at WrestleGate Pro this weekend and it's up on AEW's Youtube channel/

The whole situation is very weird but does create some interesting possibilities for Sunday. Jon Moxley vs Hangman is probably what I'd lean towards, and that'd be excellent. 

It's far too early to tell whether AEW ould realistically challenge WWE in the States, they certainly could here though. It's easy to forget just how popular TNA was over here a few years ago and until WWE started making a bit of an effort with the UK/TNA collapsed on its arse - the latter did great business over here and built up a strong audience on Challenge. With WWE moving to BT and AEW seemingly securing itself a place on ITV - they've given themselves a great platform of becoming the number one brand over here. Tony Khan's already floated the idea of UK PPvs as well, just hopefully not at Craven Cottage...

Regardless of what happens after, Sunday's show has the potential to be one of the best of the year and for £15 it's certainly worth the money.

I watched the latest BTE earlier and Cody all but confirmed that there will be PPVs in the UK. Mental that WWE haven't done a single one since 1992. Even a crappy B level PPV from WWE would sell out here and there would probably be plenty of US viewers who would still watch it live anyway.

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I watched the latest BTE earlier and Cody all but confirmed that there will be PPVs in the UK. Mental that WWE haven't done a single one since 1992. Even a crappy B level PPV from WWE would sell out here and there would probably be plenty of US viewers who would still watch it live anyway.

It’s mental, especially in the Network era. 

Looking at the card, it's pretty solid. Personally can't see it troubling the better shows that have happened this year, but the six woman tag, six man tag and the stuff involving The Elite will all deliver I imagine.

Plus, couple of decent looking matches on the pre-show on ITV4. That concept for the battle royal looks like great fun.

I’ve been keeping an eye on AEW and If they do a weekly show on ITV4 I’ll give It a watch to see what It’s like. A few good matches on the card so I’ll probably find a stream for It on Sunday sometime.

I don’t know how well an AEW PPV would do over here but a half decent WWE PPV would probably sell out Old Trafford cricket ground 45-50K.

I'd recommend the pre-show. There'll be a good chunk of what to expect in the undercard in that rather nifty looking battle royal. Also, Guevara vs. Sabian should be a cracker if they're allowed to just go out and steal the show. They let the Briscoes and SoCal go out and murder each other on the pre-show last time, so here's hoping.

2 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

A good solid midcard hand that.

Feel like that’d have been a decent surprise for the main card as well. Wonder if they’ve got anything else up their sleeve.

12 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Perhaps though if AEW do plan to run shows over here, Vince will go all "NO!  MY TOYS!" and one-up them.  Seems his style.

It is odd to me that they haven't done even a B-show over here.  I keep hoping for something like Summerslam - Wembley in August would probably just about work weather-wise, and they can wax lyrical about their history (because don't expect them to mention that it isn't actually the same place).  Having a big 4 here with all the other things around it would be brilliant.

Guest bernardblack

Have they confirmed who will main event? 

I am starting to get really excited for this and usually I would just dip in and out of TNA/ROH/NJPW etc (acronym daft)

2 hours ago, bernardblack said:

Have they confirmed who will main event? 

I am starting to get really excited for this and usually I would just dip in and out of TNA/ROH/NJPW etc (acronym daft)

I’m assuming Jericho/Omega, either that or The Bucks I think.

Jericho was talking about it being the main event on his latest podcast.

He also hinted that they might have to film an episode of the TV show on his cruise given the shooting schedule and how many of them are due to be there at that time.

Dean Malenko’s been brought in as a producer which is a good hire, and Cody’s confirmed the broadcast deal with ITV. Assuming it’ll be on ITV 4 but they’ve already managed to get the Before the Bell on ITV/STV so who knows. Good start for them though, and ITV’s wrestling team are promoting Sunday heavily (as they should be)