EoS Conference A Thread 2019-20

Every team in conference A will face every team in conference B once with 6 home games and 6 away. 

The who plays who home and away element was based on last year's league placings so that theoretically every team will have a similar level of difficulty in their fixtures.

I believe the reason behind it was that a 12 team conference with teams playing each other twice means only 22 games which is too little, playing each other four times is 44 which is too many and three times would mean six teams would play more home games than away.

This is an imaginative way to solve the problem which I believe most clubs are happy with.

Just bear in mind that results in inter conference games only affect the standings in each conference. There's no special table or anything else.

3 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Below was in the handout explaining it. As for why? Everyone plays each other at least once, avoids repetition or a short season.

image.thumb.png.42d0b015d907bf4efa5fc5aae27ed205.png

image.png.95c92239eddb9999e6a2ed8a6fca85b0.png

Cheers FWF. 

PTB gets annoyed as my way of responding is like trying to resolve as Rubik’s cube! 😒

Been an interesting week.

Kinnoull's unbeaten row goes with two defeats in four days. 

BurntIsland have an excellent week with seven points moving them up the table and a great win yesterday.

And Leith open up a wee gap on the rest.

And only 25 weeks to go😊

As noted there are 2 conferences of 12 playing home-and-away for 22 games, and playing each other 6 home/6 away for 12 games, giving an overall total of 34 games.

So everyone play 17 home/17 away and 23 different opponents in total; and play everyone in their own conference home-n-away, and an equal difficulty (or as near as possible) from the other conference home-or-away.

Broadly speaking each conference play each other once July-October... then the inter-conference games run October-February... then the return conference games close March-May. In practice it doesn't absolutely work out like that of course, as a few games have been postponed or abandoned; a few games have been inserted for clubs knocked out of cups; and some Saturdays in the middle part have a mixture of both due to derby cards and groundshares.

Normally, on any given weekend of inter-conference games, one full conference is at home to the other conference: e.g. Oct 26th it's A v B (except at Tynecastle)... Nov 2nd it's B v A... Nov 23rd it's A v B... and so on.

On 02/10/2019 at 21:30, FairWeatherFan said:

I think LTHV still have the same quality they had in the Championship winning years, they've just lost that consistency they had.

It must be consistency indeed. I've seen them play in the Scottish Cup 2nd preliminary round against Lochee United. Even though Lochee deserved their win, the 5-2 scoreline really flattered them as the game was much closer than the scoreline suggested. Most of the game was really close with both sides playing well. LTHV going all out for an equaliser with when it was 3-2 with Lochee taking the inevitable chance to increase the lead and then an LTHV player losing his head and getting sent off resulted in the flattered scoreline. I thought LTHV were much, much, stronger than Burntisland in the previous round who were easily beaten 7-0, which could have been more if the pitch didn't become unplayable midway through the second half resulting in both teams not wanting to risk any injuries and nothing much happening anymore.

Based on those 2 games I've seen, I'm baffled how Burntisland are above LTHV in the table (although admittedly LTHV have a game in hand).

3 hours ago, Marten said:

Based on those 2 games I've seen, I'm baffled how Burntisland are above LTHV in the table (although admittedly LTHV have a game in hand).

Look at the results grid: https://www.eosfl.com/item.php?pg=resultgrid&pd=1058&it=212 - Burntisland have played/won v Ormiston twice and Craigroyston once, LTHV still to play a team in the bottom three.

Though I've also noticed that Shippy seem to have decent discipline, not seen reds on their match updates or in the suspension list recently which no doubt helps.

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

Look at the results grid: https://www.eosfl.com/item.php?pg=resultgrid&pd=1058&it=212 - Burntisland have played/won v Ormiston twice and Craigroyston once, LTHV still to play a team in the bottom three.

I've watched the last 3 LTHV games. Goals for 4, goals against 2, all against teams in the top half of the table. A very decent defensive record at this level. Think they'll only improve based on recent loan signings and player availability. 

5 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Though I've also noticed that Shippy seem to have decent discipline, not seen reds on their match updates or in the suspension list recently which no doubt helps.

They went down to ten men against Ormiston. That was a second yellow though - and it was a soft one so I wouldn’t say they have a discipline issue though.

46 minutes ago, Ormi said:

They went down to ten men against Ormiston. That was a second yellow though - and it was a soft one so I wouldn’t say they have a discipline issue though.

Shows how much I've paid attention 🤣🤣 Just came to mind with Kinnoull getting two reds against them.

5 hours ago, Passthebaw said:
  7 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Also took a point at Dunipace and took all three at Kinnoul. First defeat at home this season

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

After a fairly poor start to season with 1pt from opening month Burntisland are suddenly red hot... 2 wins over Ormiston, thrash Craigroyston, win at Kinnoull, draws at Dunipace and Leith.

To pIck up four points from trips to Kinnoull and Leith is excellent. Although that's three defeats in a row for Kinnoull now.

Things are beginning to get closer in the top half with lots of teams dropping points. And some cracking games next week.