EoS Premier Thread 2019-20

Sauchie have been punished enough this season. For a team to be winning at the time of the abandonment and considering the rumours of where ex junior teams are coming in next season I feel they have right to be aggrieved. Theres every chance they could lose the re arranged match whenever that will be and end up in an automatic relegation position. To me that's just not right. [emoji2369] 
Whilst I get this view and understand it. Another scenario for you, a player from either side gets a serious injury due to the playing surface and conditions, the injury could have been avoided by simply abandoning the game. Who is liable? Who would get the blame? (in our society this is rife). Of course it would be the referee.

Now I'm certainly not in the referees union, I had more yellows in my playing career for disagreeing with referees than I care to remember, but that is what will undoubtedly have formed part of the referees decision to halt the game.

In this scenario the referee couldn't win, a damned if he does and damned if he doesn't kind of situation.

9 hours ago, Marten said:

In most countries (basically all except for the ones in the British Isles) in Europe games generally don't get fully replayed when they get abandoned, they just get finished, starting at the point where the game got abandoned with the same players (if possible) and same score. That prevents such issues.

That’s something that’s written into competition rules then, as the Laws of the Game say an abandoned game should be replayed “unless the competition rules or organisers determine otherwise”.

9 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Sauchie have been punished enough this season. For a team to be winning at the time of the abandonment and considering the rumours of where ex junior teams are coming in next season I feel they have right to be aggrieved. Theres every chance they could lose the re arranged match whenever that will be and end up in an automatic relegation position. To me that's just not right. 🤷‍♂️ 

Don't be silly, who is to say Blackburn wouldn't have come back to earn a draw or win? The game will be replayed and it's not really up for debate.

Our last abandoned game was about 10 years ago when up at Fauldhouse we were leading 2-0 with about 10 mins remaining when a Hoose player suffered a bad leg break. Took the ambulance so long the referee had no choice but to abandon the game.  The game was correctly replayed and we lost.   That's fitba.

Edited by Burnie_man

In most countries (basically all except for the ones in the British Isles) in Europe games generally don't get fully replayed when they get abandoned, they just get finished, starting at the point where the game got abandoned with the same players (if possible) and same score. That prevents such issues.

Interested to know why HibeeJibee removed his response to this last night that started with something along the lines of “This shows that other countries leagues don’t get everything right” clearly implying he felt this was far from the correct thing to do. Does removing it suggest he now knows something to the contrary?

Sauchie have been punished enough this season. For a team to be winning at the time of the abandonment and considering the rumours of where ex junior teams are coming in next season I feel they have right to be aggrieved. Theres every chance they could lose the re arranged match whenever that will be and end up in an automatic relegation position. To me that's just not right. 🤷‍♂️ 

So, are you saying that the referee should take into account the importance of the points to the competing teams and that this should take precedence over player safety? That’s certainly the implication of your post. They are entitled to be disappointed - I’m sure I would be - but no one is entitled to call into question the decision of the neutral party in the middle who is there to make the call based on the playability of the pitch or on the safety of the players.

Unless I’m mistaken, you’re suggesting that if there is a team in front in circumstances where the referee feels there is a risk to the players the game should continue regardless - IF the three points are considered to be important ones for the team that are ahead? I’m afraid that is quite wrong.

20 hours ago, Sidney Lumet said:

So, are you saying that the referee should take into account the importance of the points to the competing teams and that this should take precedence over player safety? That’s certainly the implication of your post. They are entitled to be disappointed - I’m sure I would be - but no one is entitled to call into question the decision of the neutral party in the middle who is there to make the call based on the playability of the pitch or on the safety of the players.

Unless I’m mistaken, you’re suggesting that if there is a team in front in circumstances where the referee feels there is a risk to the players the game should continue regardless - IF the three points are considered to be important ones for the team that are ahead? I’m afraid that is quite wrong.

Yip you'll be mistaken bud it was a 15 pint post on a Saturday night I'm sure weve all done it 🤭

Was just being a wee bit sympathetic to Sauchie who've had it tough already this season. 

Apologies 🙈

2 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Yip you'll be mistaken bud it was a 15 pint post on a Saturday night I'm sure weve all done it 🤭

Was just being a wee bit sympathetic to Sauchie who've had it tough already this season. 

Apologies 🙈

😂  You need to lay off that broon stuff Broony.

6 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Apologies 🙈

Maybe if your pal drank 15 pints, he might give you a green dot by mistake!

Love the honesty, but 15 pints! Gee whiz that is some going! 

1 hour ago, Casey Jones said:

That was quick! 

1 hour ago, Casey Jones said:

Maybe if your pal drank 15 pints, he might give you a green dot by mistake!

Love the honesty, but 15 pints! Gee whiz that is some going! 

aye was an early start Saturday but due to the races being cancelled ended up a 12 hour session. 😂

He seems to have an obsession with all things p & b.Theres a big wide world oot there,once he grows up and his parents let him oot the hoose on his own I'm sure he'll be fine. 👍

Interested to know why HibeeJibee removed his response to this last night that started with something along the lines of “This shows that other countries leagues don’t get everything right” clearly implying he felt this was far from the correct thing to do. Does removing it suggest he now knows something to the contrary?

Dunno if you’ve met @HibeeJibee but he has a massive erse. A helluva big ol’ bubble-butt if ever you’ve seen one.

I reckon he’s just sat on his phone and deleted the post accidentally.

aye was an early start Saturday but due to the races being cancelled ended up a 12 hour session. [emoji23]
He seems to have an obsession with all things p & b.Theres a big wide world oot there,once he grows up and his parents let him oot the hoose on his own I'm sure he'll be fine. [emoji106]

I’m using the app right now so can only see ‘likes’. I assume it’s safe to say you’re referring to that dribbling mess Mallo though?

Sauchie manager making a right erchie of himself here
https://www.alloaadvertiser.com/sport/18262152.sauchie-boss-hits-amateurish-blackburn-united-call-off/
We go to Sauchie in 10 days time in the League Cup, should make it even more interesting.

He doesn’t half like a proper willy with his comments.

“The game shouldni stoap til some c**ts paralysed!”

4 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Sauchie manager making a right erchie of himself here

https://www.alloaadvertiser.com/sport/18262152.sauchie-boss-hits-amateurish-blackburn-united-call-off/

We go to Sauchie in 10 days time in the League Cup, should make it even more interesting.

That’s something else. They say they were happy for it to be called off - until it was called off, and then they had a problem with that. 😂

Edited by Ormi

2 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Dunno if you’ve met @HibeeJibee but he has a massive erse. A helluva big ol’ bubble-butt if ever you’ve seen one.

I reckon he’s just sat on his phone and deleted the post accidentally.

giphy.gif     AnimatedDimCur-max-1mb.gif

Wherever the post is now - I was just noting that while it's what some leagues do abroad, it still has pros 'n cons, like the other approaches.

Idea is to 'take-up as you were' but only scoreline-wise. Everyone is fresh, weather different, maybe new ref, some players will have become transferred/banned/injured/unavailable/etc.

It's certainly used in CL/EL and internationals. Normally the visitors (and fans) stay-over and finish it the next day. Otherwise it also means them travelling again for not much football.

Usually abandoned EOS games get replayed in full. Such was the case of HoB v Tranent this season (1-0 on 32mins flooded) and Peebles v Easthouses last (4-4 in added time for brawl).

Long time ago points were sometimes left unawarded.

I can't recall an instance of an EOS game being resumed but it may have happened.

Go back 12yrs and Dalbeattie 1-0 Edinburgh City got awarded as it stood. However it was last game of season and because a City player attacked and hurt the ref then got arrested :o:

Match abandoned after ref attack

Police van
Police were called to the match at Dalbeattie's Islecroft Stadium

An East of Scotland League game had to be abandoned after an attack on the match referee.

Alistair Aitken was knocked to the ground at Islecroft Stadium during Dalbeattie Star's home game against Edinburgh City on Thursday night.

The fixture was abandoned after Edinburgh striker Jean Ferreira was alleged to have attacked the referee.

An investigation has been launched and a report is being prepared for the procurator fiscal.

Dalbeattie were winning the match 1-0 in the second half when the game was abandoned.

o.gif
start_quote_rb.gif We are aware of the alleged assault on the referee at Dalbeattie where the game was abandoned and the police called to deal with a player end_quote_rb.gif
Drew Herbertson
SFA spokesman

Officials from both teams and the assistant referees went to Mr Aitken's aid after he fell to the ground.

The referee - who is the brother of Queen of the South player Andy Aitken - was treated for a cut and bruising to the mouth.

Police were called to the stadium and Mr Ferreira was taken to the local police station.

An Edinburgh City official said: "It was a very unfortunate incident.

"He normally only comes on as a substitute but he has been playing regularly over the last few games.

"Everyone is shocked by this incident and we have no sympathy for anyone who is involved in such an incident."

A Dalbeattie Star spokesman confirmed they would be helping with the investigation.

Player fined over referee punch

Jean Ferreira
The court heard Ferreira's life was "in tatters" after the offence

An East of Scotland league footballer who admitted punching a referee in the face as he was about to send him off has been fined £450.

Kirkcudbright Sheriff Court heard how Alistair Aitken ended up with a burst lip, swollen face and a loose tooth in the incident.

He was in charge of the Dalbeattie Star versus Edinburgh City match.

Jean Ferreira, 28, of Royston Avenue, Edinburgh admitted committing the offence in Dalbeattie in May last year.

The court had previously heard that Mr Aitken had called over the Edinburgh City player after he committed a foul.

o.gif
start_quote_rb.gif Not only was the offence out of character but he accepts it was totally unacceptable end_quote_rb.gif
Ray Mixon, defending
Ferreira then punched the match official in the face.

Since the incident the former Santos player has suffered a career-ending injury while playing in Italy.

Mr Mixon said his hopes of pursuing a career as a referee had also been ruined by the offence.

'Life in tatters'

"Ferreira has no previous convictions and had never been sent off in his career," he said.

"He is a qualified referee but he has been banned by the SFA until the end of 2010 which has put his life in tatters.

Incidentally, while we're talking about historical abandoned games, the circumstances of Bathgate winning the King Cup of 1903-04 were utterly ridiculous:

First Round
Bathgate     bye

Second Round
West Calder 1-1 Bathgate     replay
Bathgate 0-2 West Calder     reclassified as friendly after 30mins due to fog     friendly abandoned shortly after due to fighting     replay ordered
Bathgate 4-0 West Calder

Semi-Finals
Bathgate 0-1 Broxburn Shamrock     Broxburn fielded ineligible player     replay ordered
Bathgate 3-0 Broxburn Shamrock

Final
Bathgate 0-0 Bo'ness     replay
Bo'ness 2-1 Bathgate     abandoned due to storm     replay ordered
Bo'ness 1-1 Bathgate     replay
Bathgate 2-2 Bo'ness     aet (at Broxburn) replay
Bathgate v Bo'ness     Bo'ness failed to turn-up     cup awarded to Bathgate

Incidentally, while we're talking about historical abandoned games, the circumstances of Bathgate winning the King Cup of 1903-04 were utterly ridiculous:

First Round
Bathgate     bye

Second Round
West Calder 1-1 Bathgate     replay
Bathgate 0-2 West Calder     reclassified as friendly after 30mins due to fog     friendly abandoned shortly after due to fighting     replay ordered
Bathgate 4-0 West Calder

Semi-Finals
Bathgate 0-1 Broxburn Shamrock     Broxburn fielded ineligible player     replay ordered
Bathgate 3-0 Broxburn Shamrock

Final
Bathgate 0-0 Bo'ness     replay
Bo'ness 2-1 Bathgate     abandoned due to storm     replay ordered
Bo'ness 1-1 Bathgate     replay
Bathgate 2-2 Bo'ness     aet (at Broxburn) replay
Bathgate v Bo'ness     Bo'ness failed to turn-up     cup awarded to Bathgate

Any further info as to why BU never showed up?