EoS Premier Thread 2019-20

All weather parks aren't actually all weather though. These parks aren't designed to be played on in snow or ice. They aren't meant to be swept or cleared either, it ruins the surface. Meaning if it snows the surface becomes unsafe and if you compact the snow into the surface it only makes it worse...all in all a particularly dear fix for any club.

There are just some circumstances that dictate a game cant continue, sadly.

7 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

If that photo is when the abandonment was called it looks a poor call, that pitch looks comfortably playable. Of course it could have been a lot worse between the photo and the call off.

The weather in fife has been intermittent snow,  I’ve seen the garden covered in snow and the washed away half a dozen times today.  Even if the ref thought the pitch was struggling he can pause the game and give time for it to be cleared/the weather to change. Did that happen?

Well I can assure you it wasn't blue sky when it was abandoned, and you could see the players were unsure of the surface and a few were slipping, the ref then began to feel unsure on the surface and both captains agreed it was the right decision.  The snow was still lying on the surface when I left about 40 mins after the abandonment.

6 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

If that photo is when the abandonment was called it looks a poor call, that pitch looks comfortably playable. Of course it could have been a lot worse between the photo and the call off.

The weather in fife has been intermittent snow,  I’ve seen the garden covered in snow and the washed away half a dozen times today.  Even if the ref thought the pitch was struggling he can pause the game and give time for it to be cleared/the weather to change. Did that happen?

It was a tricky one to call. Take a look at BurnieMan's picture which shows the pitch when it was covered before half time, the hail would have been a  sore one for the linesman who had to face into it.. It was hail rather than snow and seems to have got icy underfoot rather than a snowy slush.  The refs were all out at half time and stopped play a few times to speak to captains, then later stopped to speak to the sidelines, then stopped again to speak to captains then called it off. Sore one for Sauchie, they were well on top but a half time postponement would have been the best decision looking back.

13 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Well I can assure you it wasn't blue sky when it was abandoned, and you could see the players were unsure of the surface and a few were slipping, the ref then began to feel unsure on the surface and both captains agreed it was the right decision.  The snow was still lying on the surface when I left about 40 mins after the abandonment.

Fair enough, your picture does look worse.  

from a refs point of view players slipping shouldn’t be too much of a problem, it’s a bigger issue if the ball stops rolling properly.

It does sound like the ref has spoke well to both sides and if the weather didn’t improve you can’t complain.

Edited by parsforlife

Just now, parsforlife said:

Fair enough, you picture does look worse.  

from a refs point of view players slipping shouldn’t be too much of a problem, it’s a bigger issue if the ball stops sticking to roll properly.

It does sound like the ref has spoke well to both sides and if the weather didn’t improve you can’t complain.

It was snowing again early second half which compunded matters, but it had stopped by the time the ref called it off.

Only the Sauchie captain made it to after match hospitality, everyone else must have got lost......

1 minute ago, Burnie_man said:

It was snowing again early second half which compunded matters, but it had stopped by the time the ref called it off.

Only the Sauchie captain made it to after match hospitality, everyone else must have got lost......

I suspect if it had been 0-0 everyone would have shook hands and looked to go again when it was rearranged. It’s always a tougher call when one side is in front.

Just now, parsforlife said:

I suspect if it had been 0-0 everyone would have shook hands and looked to go again when it was rearranged. It’s always a tougher call when one side is in front.

Aye I understand that, it's happened to us, but don't disappear in the huff. It wasn't our fault it snowed, a retractable roof is on the list 😂

15 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Maybe under the weather warnings and conditions they felt it was necessary to get out of them hills soon as possible before there was a movie made about the missing Suachie team.

4 minutes ago, Kemlin Dan said:

Maybe under the weather warnings and conditions they felt it was necessary to get out of them hills soon as possible before there was a movie made about the missing Suachie team.

Possibly.  The post-apocalyptic scene of a half demolished community centre behind the goal maybe spooked them.

Fair enough, your picture does look worse.  
from a refs point of view players slipping shouldn’t be too much of a problem, it’s a bigger issue if the ball stops rolling properly.

Could the ref and the other officials see the lines of the pitch? If he can’t see the 18 yard line from the halfway line then it’s not really possible to officiate properly.

13 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Possibly.  The post-apocalyptic scene of a half demolished community centre behind the goal maybe spooked them.

Been to Blackburn twice and enjoyed my hospitality, that community centre would make a lovely car park or developed to further enhance Blackburn Community.

Could the ref and the other officials see the lines of the pitch? If he can’t see the 18 yard line from the halfway line then it’s not really possible to officiate properly.

Probably just a call of ‘better safe than sorry’ from the referee, and the right call IMO.

Right before the call off one of the full backs slipped trying to defend so I wasnt surprised when the ref spoke to the captains again at that point.

I think if it had been snow only it may have survived but that hail just stayed on the pitch and no one looked comfortable on it.

When a game is abandoned then the team that was ahead will, more often than not, be unhappy with the decision while the team who were behind will be more than supportive of it - it’s the very nature of the beast and both positions are entirely understandable. This is why the decision is in the hands of the referee as the only neutral arbiter and he has to think solely of players safety. Almost certainly he won’t have wanted to abandon with a team already in front so must have had real concerns. I think second guessing him on his decision would be unfair.

What is very disappointing to read is Sauchie taking the hump and failing to turn up for after match hospitality. That’s really not on and I hope they reflect on those actions and apologise to Blackburn if that was indeed the case.

When a game is abandoned then the team that was ahead will, more often than not, be unhappy with the decision while the team who were behind will be more than supportive of it - it’s the very nature of the beast and both positions are entirely understandable. This is why the decision is in the hands of the referee as the only neutral arbiter and he has to think solely of players safety. Almost certainly he won’t have wanted to abandon with a team already in front so must have had real concerns. I think second guessing him on his decision is unfair.
What is very disappointing to read is Sauchie taking the hump and failing to turn up for after match hospitality. That’s really not on and I hope they reflect on those actions and apologise to Blackburn if that was indeed the case.

The game in two weeks time will be interesting.......

Looking at those pictures it was without doubt the right decision. As a ref, I’ll call a game off if, even if the pitch is playable, it would be a farce to play in the conditions - and looking at the pictures it certainly would’ve been farcical to continue.

2 hours ago, Black & Red Socks said:

When a game is abandoned then the team that was ahead will, more often than not, be unhappy with the decision while the team who were behind will be more than supportive of it - it’s the very nature of the beast and both positions are entirely understandable. This is why the decision is in the hands of the referee as the only neutral arbiter and he has to think solely of players safety. Almost certainly he won’t have wanted to abandon with a team already in front so must have had real concerns. I think second guessing him on his decision would be unfair.

In most countries (basically all except for the ones in the British Isles) in Europe games generally don't get fully replayed when they get abandoned, they just get finished, starting at the point where the game got abandoned with the same players (if possible) and same score. That prevents such issues.

5 hours ago, Black & Red Socks said:

Sauchie have been punished enough this season. For a team to be winning at the time of the abandonment and considering the rumours of where ex junior teams are coming in next season I feel they have right to be aggrieved. Theres every chance they could lose the re arranged match whenever that will be and end up in an automatic relegation position. To me that's just not right. 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by newcastle broon