EoS Premier Thread 2019-20

10 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Bah humbug. No complaints from me about result, we deserved nothing from that second half performance.

Sauchie result was right out of the blue.

Not if you were at the game!!! Broxburns poorest performance of the season (excluding preseason friendliest).  Take nothing away from Sauchie who played well and deserved it.  As I have said previously Broxburn have this type of game every now and then and in this league ALL the other teams will beat you if you play like that.

Hope it’s out the system now as a number of big games coming up before Christmas.

On 03/11/2019 at 14:12, HibeeJibee said:

Musselburgh have already exited South Challenge and EOS Qualifying cups, and reached Alex Jack final.

League Cup doesn't start until March.

Unfocusing from cups would only save 1 game... i.e. lose Alex Jack final = not contest South & East Shield... and that would seem rather foolish given it'd guarantee Scottish Cup entry.

On 03/11/2019 at 14:23, Casey Jones said:

Agreed!  Musselburgh will be totally focused on beating Oakley in final and the decider, when that comes. Seeing teams from our league do well in this season’s Scottish cup means I want same involvement next season as do all at Olivebank. The same also applies to staying in the Premier league next season. Plenty of matches to achieve, but we have to get out of this losing run.

The problem is Hibeejbee that the point about saving 1 game doesn't wash.

As soon as the Semi Final of the Alex Jack was won, there was a supporters group getting names for a bus to a final at Nitten.

What about the league games before that? 

It just reminds me about the relegation a few years ago. Musselburgh had 2 games against Newtongrange 1 in the cup and 1 in the league. Musselburgh won the cup game after Nitten rested most of their team and lost the League game. 2 games against Jeanfield 1 in the Cup and 1 in the league. same thing.

As I said before, the work their committee are doing will see Scottish Cup entry anyway through the licence which I understand they are close to achieving.

Any team who can beat Boness in the cup shouldn't be on a run of 2 league wins in 11. 

The Premier League campaign with Calvin was won because they took 1 game at a time. Won the league games. The cup games almost a bonus.

Wouldnt want to see them sleepwalk into relegation because those 'plenty of matches ' that Casey mentions disappear very fast.

1 hour ago, The Faceman said:

The problem is Hibeejbee that the point about saving 1 game doesn't wash.

As soon as the Semi Final of the Alex Jack was won, there was a supporters group getting names for a bus to a final at Nitten.

What about the league games before that? 

It just reminds me about the relegation a few years ago. Musselburgh had 2 games against Newtongrange 1 in the cup and 1 in the league. Musselburgh won the cup game after Nitten rested most of their team and lost the League game. 2 games against Jeanfield 1 in the Cup and 1 in the league. same thing.

As I said before, the work their committee are doing will see Scottish Cup entry anyway through the licence which I understand they are close to achieving.

Any team who can beat Boness in the cup shouldn't be on a run of 2 league wins in 11. 

The Premier League campaign with Calvin was won because they took 1 game at a time. Won the league games. The cup games almost a bonus.

Wouldnt want to see them sleepwalk into relegation because those 'plenty of matches ' that Casey mentions disappear very fast.

That's a bit unfair on the supporters group who ran a bus to HoB on Saturday and it was full I believe. It's full most away games as it's organised well in advance, like the Cup Final will be. 

There is no doubt Musselburgh are out of sorts at the moment but I do not believe it's because of a concentration on a cup run. 

15 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

That's a bit unfair on the supporters group who ran a bus to HoB on Saturday and it was full I believe. It's full most away games as it's organised well in advance, like the Cup Final will be. 

There is no doubt Musselburgh are out of sorts at the moment but I do not believe it's because of a concentration on a cup run. 

What would you put 2 wins in 11 league games down to then?

Keeping in mind those 2 wins were: against the bottom side in the league and in my 25 years of watching football all over the place - against the worst team performance from any team at any level I have ever seen. (i am being kind to Linlithgow there as well) 

2 hours ago, The Faceman said:

Keeping in mind those 2 wins were: against the bottom side in the league and in my 25 years of watching football all over the place - against the worst team performance from any team at any level I have ever seen. (i am being kind to Linlithgow there as well) 

So you accept the supporters group were not doing a lot wrong? Good. 

As for 2 wins in 11 league games, I'm not sure Musselburgh have fielded the same back 4 two games in succession this season. From injuries to full backs and indifferent form through the centre backs, I think that's primarily the reason. 

But now's the time to get behind the team when it's needed most, as most of us will do. 

6 hours ago, The Faceman said:

Certainly not what you put it down to Faceman. Getting relegated at end of season 2016-17 had squidily to to do with what players we used in cup ties and league matches. Musselburgh beat Bonnyrigg 1-0 ( or 2-1) at their ground which effectively saw the home side lose their chance of catching Kelty come end of season and probably our best result of season. At that point only a blind wombat hj would have bet on us getting relegated. Moving on; last 3 matches Burgh required 1 point from 9 to stay up. Inexplicably we lost all three. Not for the want of trying by the Burgh players, but not to do with cup.

Supporters bus. Tell me one team who wouldn't have organised a bus having just got into the final. The other guy came back to you on that one so I will say no more.

This season, our away defeats have been hugely disappointing! I am gutted at the way it has gone - tell me one player that does not feel the same. Not one point gained in away league matches. That states one its own is awful. But if you look at the first 5 away league matches - all were lost by a single goal. Second bottom but for that position goal difference is not running away from us. 

I have been at all Burgh matched this season and I can see at times what's not right. If you've been at all the matches I can't critisise your comments as it is your opinion against mine. Yes we need to inprove and I have the confidence that with a couple of tweets we can rise up the league soon. Certainly not a black ad you paint it to be! 

I will give one example which contradicts your main theme  - cup v league.

Last season we met Hill o Beath in a cup tie at their ground. They gave us a football lesson that day,  hammering us 3-1 and it should have been.more.

We played the same team at same venue 7 days later in league and humped them 2-0. Probably in top 2 best performances all season.  Later on we drew 1-1 in league at Olivebank. 

Cheers

3 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

So you accept the supporters group were not doing a lot wrong? Good. 

As for 2 wins in 11 league games, I'm not sure Musselburgh have fielded the same back 4 two games in succession this season. From injuries to full backs and indifferent form through the centre backs, I think that's primarily the reason. 

But now's the time to get behind the team when it's needed most, as most of us will do. 

Not sure I accused them of doing anything wrong.  I have had a look at the club Facebook and i can only see about the bus for the Oakley game copied from the supporters group.  I made the same mistake when we reached the Scottish Junior Cup Final in 2015 - difference is the club were 3rd or 4th in the league and safe. 

Got to say i have noticed a few changes in the team line up as well. Injuries happen absolutely but was very surprised to see Liam Reid and Gary Cherrie out on loan (and in Cherries case) sold on,  As both had great seasons 

2 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Certainly not what you put it down to Faceman. Getting relegated at end of season 2016-17 had squidily to to do with what players we used in cup ties and league matches. Musselburgh beat Bonnyrigg 1-0 ( or 2-1) at their ground which effectively saw the home side lose their chance of catching Kelty come end of season and probably our best result of season. At that point only a blind wombat hj would have bet on us getting relegated. Moving on; last 3 matches Burgh required 1 point from 9 to stay up. Inexplicably we lost all three. Not for the want of trying by the Burgh players, but not to do with cup.

Supporters bus. Tell me one team who wouldn't have organised a bus having just got into the final. The other guy came back to you on that one so I will say no more.

This season, our away defeats have been hugely disappointing! I am gutted at the way it has gone - tell me one player that does not feel the same. Not one point gained in away league matches. That states one its own is awful. But if you look at the first 5 away league matches - all were lost by a single goal. Second bottom but for that position goal difference is not running away from us. 

I have been at all Burgh matched this season and I can see at times what's not right. If you've been at all the matches I can't critisise your comments as it is your opinion against mine. Yes we need to inprove and I have the confidence that with a couple of tweets we can rise up the league soon. Certainly not a black ad you paint it to be! 

I will give one example which contradicts your main theme  - cup v league.

Last season we met Hill o Beath in a cup tie at their ground. They gave us a football lesson that day,  hammering us 3-1 and it should have been.more.

We played the same team at same venue 7 days later in league and humped them 2-0. Probably in top 2 best performances all season.  Later on we drew 1-1 in league at Olivebank. 

Cheers

With the greatest of respect, last season the games against Hill of Beath has no bearing on anything as there was no problem with either relegation or indeed top 5 finish in the league.

The examples of Jeanfield in 16/17, Newtongrange 16/17 and Boness this season are more relevant due to the league position.

Casey, let me throw this at you. I was standing with someone at Boness in the league game a few weeks ago and he said this 

Musselburgh either:

1) Are underestimated by the so called 'bigger' teams who maybe think they are a soft touch 

2) When playing the 'smaller' teams - the opposition up their game 

3) Have difficulty getting up for games against the smaller teams, especially in the league and their game is more suited to bigger teams who attack them leaving spaces on the break for their counter attack style.

I have only seen them 5 or 6 times this season and don't think it's point 1 or 2. I tend to think the point passthebaw made about team selection stands up but I have to say any team that beats Boness and Linlithgow (historically big teams) but loses to Preston, Crossgates, Blackburn, Tranent, (smaller teams with the greatest respect to them) maybe has motivational issues. 

I think if the injury luck doesn't improve soon maybe me and you can dig out our boots!

36 minutes ago, The Faceman said:

With the greatest of respect, last season the games against Hill of Beath has no bearing on anything as there was no problem with either relegation or indeed top 5 finish in the league.

The examples of Jeanfield in 16/17, Newtongrange 16/17 and Boness this season are more relevant due to the league position.

Casey, let me throw this at you. I was standing with someone at Boness in the league game a few weeks ago and he said this 

Musselburgh either:

1) Are underestimated by the so called 'bigger' teams who maybe think they are a soft touch 

3) Have difficulty getting up for games against the smaller teams, especially in the league and their game is more suited to bigger teams who attack them leaving spaces on the break for their counter attack style.

I have only seen them 5 or 6 times this season and don't think it's point 1 or 2. I tend to think the point passthebaw made about team selection stands up but I have to say any team that beats Boness and Linlithgow (historically big teams) but loses to Preston, Crossgates, Blackburn, Tranent, (smaller teams with the greatest respect to them) maybe has motivational issues. 

I think if the injury luck doesn't improve soon maybe me and you can dig out our boots!

I could come back to you on Jeanfield 16/17 but that’s it for that year so 1-0 to you.

if you were at the cup final at end of last season when we played Bo’ness, I don’t think they would underestimate us this season! I

I thought we played better in the match we lost to Bo’ness that we won. Musselburgh do seem to play better against ‘better teams’ and I’ve said that a few times this season. But, Jeanfield and HoBeath blew that thought right out of the water in last of weeks.

Motivation!?!? In a previous job, many years ago, I was involved in annual appraisals and had 7 or 8 to do. Once the process was finished, the office manager called a meeting with the appraisers to see how we felt the process had gone.

One appraiser wrote (and though it wasn’t me, I will use my name) - Brian is a good worker when motivated. The office manager went ape sh1t at the comment. He said Brian is earning money to work! If he isn’t motivated with that, get him to f*ck out my team?!

There is something not right this season and hopefully it will be sorted soon and we start to move away from the foot of table - which I am sure will happen.  

But let me ask you this. You are well aware that our captain in nearing another magnificent milestone for Musselburgh. I am sure he doesn’t play week out / week in for Musselburgh for money!! But are you telling me that he has motivational issues this season?? Answers on a postcard.

So we will end on a score draw: 1-1!

Saturday’s match at Sauchie is crucial.  If Burgh lose, we are bottom of table with an away league record of 7 straight loses. Need to get out of that losing mentality and the guys need to take chances and have more shots on goal! Keeper is not going to save them all, and with any deflections comes another chance!

Time is right for Burgh’s away record to change!

Edited by Casey Jones

On 05/11/2019 at 22:06, Casey Jones said:

I could come back to you on Jeanfield 16/17 but that’s it for that year so 1-0 to you.

if you were at the cup final at end of last season when we played Bo’ness, I don’t think they would underestimate us this season! I

I thought we played better in the match we lost to Bo’ness that we won. Musselburgh do seem to play better against ‘better teams’ and I’ve said that a few times this season. But, Jeanfield and HoBeath blew that thought right out of the water in last of weeks.

Motivation!?!? In a previous job, many years ago, I was involved in annual appraisals and had 7 or 8 to do. Once the process was finished, the office manager called a meeting with the appraisers to see how we felt the process had gone.

One appraiser wrote (and though it wasn’t me, I will use my name) - Brian is a good worker when motivated. The office manager went ape sh1t at the comment. He said Brian is earning money to work! If he isn’t motivated with that, get him to f*ck out my team?!

There is something not right this season and hopefully it will be sorted soon and we start to move away from the foot of table - which I am sure will happen.  

But let me ask you this. You are well aware that our captain in nearing another magnificent milestone for Musselburgh. I am sure he doesn’t play week out / week in for Musselburgh for money!! But are you telling me that he has motivational issues this season?? Answers on a postcard.

Brian 1st of all what a excellent ballanced post.

I tend to forget we are on the same side!

I do worry about a few things but certainly not the captain's motivation and i wish him well on that milestone as I did the last.

Things I worry about:

1) if we are classing Hill of Beath and Jeanfield as 'better teams' then we have issues. These teams are mid table at best - In that they can't produce it every week. For example Dunbar have beat both of them and we should be looking at 3 or 4 points a season from teams around us. 

2) I look at the paper this morning. I see the headline 'use home advantage' burgh boss urges. Brian our next game is away at Sauchie? 

That brings me back to the 1 game at a time point I made earlier. There are quotes about 6 of the next 10 are at home and another mention about the Oakley game. I understand supporters get excited about cup finals - we have covered that earlier, but the next game is all we should be looking at. We have a good record against Sauchie, we are a bigger club than Sauchie, have better players than Sauchie but they need to go and show that.

From one supporter to another have a quiet word. Sauchie Next. that's the next cup final. plenty of time left to get a high league finish but those games run out fast.

Enjoy the game. Might see there

On 05/11/2019 at 21:06, The Faceman said:

Musselburgh either:

Tranent (smaller teams), c'mon times have changed Faceman, Musselburgh are currently in the inside lane of EOS football and whether you except it or not teams like Tranent have the indicator on and are currently cruising along the outside lane.

7 hours ago, The Faceman said:

Brian 1st of all what a excellent ballanced post.

I tend to forget we are on the same side!

I do worry about a few things but certainly not the captain's motivation and i wish him well on that milestone as I did the last.

Things I worry about:

1) if we are classing Hill of Beath and Jeanfield as 'better teams' then we have issues. These teams are mid table at best - In that they can't produce it every week. For example Dunbar have beat both of them and we should be looking at 3 or 4 points a season from teams around us. 

2) I look at the paper this morning. I see the headline 'use home advantage' burgh boss urges. Brian our next game is away at Sauchie? 

That brings me back to the 1 game at a time point I made earlier. There are quotes about 6 of the next 10 are at home and another mention about the Oakley game. I understand supporters get excited about cup finals - we have covered that earlier, but the next game is all we should be looking at. We have a good record against Sauchie, we are a bigger club than Sauchie, have better players than Sauchie but they need to go and show that.

From one supporter to another have a quiet word. Sauchie Next. that's the next cup final. plenty of time left to get a high league finish but those games run out fast.

Enjoy the game. Might see there

You were doing so well; then you go and crash and burn at the same time! I let you win 1-0 cause when I looked at your response there wasn't much I could argue about. Then when you didn't come back on MK, I revised to 1-1.

Purely on HoB & Jeanfield you have lost it! You cannot say in last 4 years that Burgh have been better than HoB. If you do, shake out of it! We got relegated 16-17 HoB didn't. Spent 1 yr in a lower division then last year HoB were 15-20 mins away from winning our conference. We were close to them as both W1 D1 L1 against each other, but we weren't in with chance of league. Last week got hammered 3-0. 

Less of a difference is Jeanfield but remember they stayed in Super League at end of 2016-17, when we got relegated. Last season they'd improved a lot since 2016-17 where we improved. Two weeks ago we got hammered 6-3.

Balance of probabilities is that currently both are better than us! If you think otherwise, just now, you need to get your tinted specks off!

A different question is, should we be bigger/better than both clubs? My answer is, most definitely, but we have to get there first and once we are there; stay there! 

Next question can/will we be bigger/ better than both clubs? My answer; as above.

What you are missing is the word potential! We have the potential to do both of the above and I think we can and will. 

Currently, your thought process is way out! I want to say what you are saying, but I will say it when the facts (not fantasy) speak for themselves. I believe we have the current persons within the club to achieve this.

Edited by Casey Jones

5 hours ago, beachboy said:

Tranent (smaller teams), c'mon times have changed Faceman, Musselburgh are currently in the inside lane of EOS football and whether you except it or not teams like Tranent have the indicator on and are currently cruising along the outside lane.

Think you would need to be half daft to come away with a statement like that Faceman!! Surely 🎣

Mussy are a good club with big potential, wouldn’t say they are in the slow lane!! However the current defence is certainly in the hard shoulder with the hazards on!!  

Sauchie's points deduction dropped them adrift afoot the division and could have seen them enter a slump. Instead they've come roaring back like a hungry lion in a chop house and now within 1pt of safety position.

Crossgates fairytale continues as they ascend into top half. Dundonald continue their quiet work by rising into top 5 and within striking distance of the leaders.