EoS Premier Thread 2019-20

57 minutes ago, lithgierose said:

If coming to linlithgow. Out of station onto hight Street. Any bus heading west will drop at West Port. (15 minutes walk) if you miss out the pubs. 

As you say a 15 minute walk I always like a walk along Lithgae High Street which actually still has plenty of shops which makes a change in this day and age:lol:

Turning it around the other way Blackburn, WW, Dunbar and Crossgates are probably the prime candidates for relegation on last season's form and/or past stature in the game. Sauchie and Newtongrange Star might be helped a bit relative to Camelon, Musselburgh and Tranent by not having to spend a sizable chunk of available funds on floodlights to chase after licensing.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

What a league this will be next season. Exciting for all the teams involved.

Basically an East Super league but with a chance to progress to the Lowland.

All the teams that moved over from the juniors are now seeing the rewards.

Well done to all involved and good luck[emoji1303]

11 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Turning it around the other way Blackburn, WW, Dunbar and Crossgates are probably the prime candidates for relegation on last season's form and/or past stature in the game. Sauchie and Newtongrange Star might be helped a bit relative to Camelon, Musselburgh and Tranent by not having to spend a sizable chunk of available funds on floodlights to chase after licensing.

Whitehill were obviously very poor this season. But looking at recent season, this poor season was pretty much an exception. If they can regroup themselves, they should be able to be a decent EOS Premier side. They've made a few decent signings already.

The landscape of senior football has changed drastically and they are no longer up against a collection of Borders clubs who have fallen on hard times and are using local players and Edinburgh clubs with very few supporters. In that environment they were able to use SFA full membership to their advantage to be a regular title challenger and regular success like that helps to attract players. Since the LL came in and they ceased to be a regular trophy winner they have been on a downward trajectory. I think their natural habitat right now would probably be as a yo-yo club between the sixth and seventh tiers at least until a few more relatively large West Lothian junior clubs like Whitburn, Fauldhouse, Armadale and Bathgate arrive on the scene, which hopefully isn't too far off in the future.

I have nothing against WW. I'm just describing how the landscape of the senior grade is changing and why. People should check out the 2017-18 LL table if they think last season was an aberration rather than part of an ongoing trend:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Lowland_Football_League

You are likely to soon be followed out of the LL by the clubs that had a similar number of points two seasons ago (i.e. Vale of Leithen, Dalbeattie Star, Gretna, Gala, Edinburgh Uni and Edusport) because better supported and hence better funded former junior clubs are going to filter their way in over the five years or so. You will find your level as will they. That's how a pyramid works.

When/if the west superleague hooks up as a west feeder to the LL even the likes of Bo'ness United and Lithgae Rose will have their work cut out in the years ahead establishing themselves as a fixture at tier 5. As Burnieman pointed out this could be the last season when it's easy for the EoS winner in terms of the end of season promotion playoff. The Lowland League is going to be much stronger than it is now in a decade's time.

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The landscape of senior football has changed drastically and they are no longer up against a collection of Borders clubs who have fallen on hard times and are using local players and Edinburgh clubs with very few supporters. In that environment they were able to use SFA full membership to their advantage to be a regular title challenger and regular success like that helps to attract players. Since the LL came in and they ceased to be a regular trophy winner they have been on a downward trajectory. I think their natural habitat right now would probably be as a yo-yo club between the sixth and seventh tiers at least until a few more relatively large West Lothian junior clubs like Whitburn, Fauldhouse, Armadale and Bathgate arrive on the scene, which hopefully isn't too far off in the future.

What  advantage did ww have, having full sfa membership in regards to there trophy wins, ?

Access to the Scottish cup and SFA full member related money would be the obvious ones in the context of a league where there were no clubs with large supports, because the East Superleague and its predecessors were still going strong. You found your niche and had a very good run on the back of it for 30 years or so, but the landscape changed once clubs like EK became the main rival to Spartans at the top of the table in an LL context and more relatively strong clubs like the Shire, Cumbernauld Colts, BSC Glasgow and Kelty started moving in and that's only the beginning of what's coming over the horizon in the next decade or so.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

21 hours ago, Cumbo said:

Last train to Edinburgh from Perth is 2245.

I’d be tempted to make a night of it in Perth, many will laugh, but I’ve had 2 of my best nights out in Perth! Mental town on a Saturday night, like proper mental! :thumsup2

23 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Can somebody post up a list of the nearest train stations please and if there's bus connections.

Obviously it's the teams that dont have stations so nae smart arse comments stating the obvious Dunbar,Nitten,Camelon,Lithgy and Musselburgh all have stations I'm in a shitty mood as it is especially the way the whole situation has been handled!! 

Penicuik, Nitten, Musselburgh and Tranent are easy, plentiful and cheap on the buses...

On 5/27/2019 at 13:09, imho said:

Dunbar are not investing heavily or lightly. WE dont have the money other clubs have and will struggle in the premier. Most of last seasons squad he re-signed but we have lost Grant Thomson,Chris King and Chris Gordon and I think 1 or 2 others, so we could be 5 down and so far we have signed 2 players on pre contract,from Dalkeith and Preston and one didnt play much allegedly,so we are well short in numbers. Nothing else is coming out from the club but if we dont sign players in the areas where we have lost then it is  going to be a difficult season.  The club have done well the last couple of seasons but the standard is about to go up massively in who we play and we have players who really only know about playing the likes of Boness,Lithgy,Bonnyrigg etc in cup ties and in one off games we have produced the odd surprise, but this is different. Of course we will be mentioned as one of the teams fighting relegation, we scraped in to the top 5 at the end and are under no illusions to what lies ahead but spending heavily is well wide of the mark and unless the manager can bring in some decent players, we on the side lines know  it will be a very difficult season, but we  will be in for a treat seeing some of the biggest names in Junior football back at Dunbar and will hopefully surprise some.  

Last week Dunbar had announced 5 new signings, given they lost a few players ,nothing unusual in replacing them but one of them Lumbert Kazatela who played for Penicuik last year and stays in Dunbar was being lauded as the marquee signing, even in his twilight years, he showed against us last season, he can still play and the usual speel attached to his photograph and then it has been withdrawn with no statement. I tried asking a committee person but they know nothing, so does anyone know what is going on. Even on Twitter it says 5 new signings but now only showing 4 . I seen a comment on Twitter from someone which suggested something , but it too ,has been withdrawn, anyone know ,if he has signed or if not, what has happened to make the club withdraw everything about the boy.?  

Any news on the fixtures coming oot yet. I'm up against a few nufc season ticket holders, who,already have their fixtures and are well ahead in the planning department for games, for time off. :unsure2:

Edited by newcastle broon

20 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Any news on the fixtures coming oot yet. I'm up against a few nufc season ticket holders, who,already have their fixtures and are well ahead in the planning department for games, for time off. :unsure2:

By the end of the month is what I saw on Twitter.

21 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Should be out by end of June. Sky / BT fixtures out early July which should give you a head start. 

On 15/06/2019 at 14:08, LongTimeLurker said:

Access to the Scottish cup and SFA full member related money would be the obvious ones in the context of a league where there were no clubs with large supports, because the East Superleague and its predecessors were still going strong. You found your niche and had a very good run on the back of it for 30 years or so, but the landscape changed once clubs like EK became the main rival to Spartans at the top of the table in an LL context and more relatively strong clubs like the Shire, Cumbernauld Colts, BSC Glasgow and Kelty started moving in and that's only the beginning of what's coming over the horizon in the next decade or so.

Somebody will correct me, but never heard of any SFA member money back in the days before licensing. WW had an amazing sponsor though in RJ Budge. They were better supported too, Scottish Cup games which only draw 250 nowadays used to get 1000+ and the social club made better money too unless my memory’s poor, which it usually is. 

On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 22:36, The Mantis said:

Somebody will correct me, but never heard of any SFA member money back in the days before licensing. WW had an amazing sponsor though in RJ Budge. They were better supported too, Scottish Cup games which only draw 250 nowadays used to get 1000+ and the social club made better money too unless my memory’s poor, which it usually is. 

As well as occasional winter payments there were regular 'windfalls' to member clubs and affiliated national associations (which missed non-member EOSL and SOSL clubs).

However they were not annual nor guaranteed. It usually depended on SFA having a surplus.

Certainly after the Euro 2008 qualifying campaign - when we ran France, Italy and Ukraine close and all our qualifiers were on Saturdays - they disbursed big sums come year's end.

Edited by HibeeJibee