New set up for next season

I'm guessing Saturday 6th September will be (the first) derby day next season? Looking at the map of Premier clubs they seem to pair off nicely - there will be some tasty fixtures, assuming Bo'ness/Linlithgow, Bonnyrigg/Penicuik, Crossgates/Hill of Beath amongst others.

44 minutes ago, lowenan said:

Will be interesting to see how the two conferences do vs each other. Points total should count towards which teams make it into the 1st division for the season after (if there is a 1st and 2nd division split). 

Has anyone said they wont?

I was assuming that its a 33 game championship and the interconference games arent friendlies.

2 hours ago, Jason King said:

Has anyone said they wont?

I was assuming that its a 33 game championship and the interconference games arent friendlies.

Well, the winner of each conference gets promoted, and the second places play in a playoff for promotion. So in that case points total only counts inside the conference (counting all 34 games of course), not in the division overall. But if they decide on a 1st and 2nd division for 2020/21, it will be interesting to see which criteria they choose to pick the teams. Will it be the top 6 in each conference, or just all the teams with the most points, regardless of conference. 

Edited by lowenan

8 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

We could of just had 22 conference games this year

This season clubs got 24 league games + 2 'odd team' days + 3 qualifying league games = 27 games/29 dates. Some finished in early April (even March 30th in one case). So it would never have been acceptable to provide only 22 league games i.e. 5/7 fewer than before. Some clubs might've finished by Valentines Day.

6 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

They would have been better in my opinion of 22 game season. Qualifying league of 4 leagues of 6. Top 2 from each going into league cup with 16 premier teams

Similar was done the season LL started: groups of 5 playing home-&-away. Even spreading the games out in 2-weekend pairs across the season it was widely disliked by prettymuch everyone.

Therefore - or at least short of some contrived sectional tournament solely for First Division clubs - your options are each conference playing each other thrice (33 games) or each conference playing each other twice plus the other conference 6 home & 6 away (34 games). While the latter is less orthodox, it does mean everyone having the same number of home-n-away games, and playing all of your conference rivals equally home-n-away.

5 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

it's very American Football-ish.

Having attended the Grand Final at Parkhead on Saturday: it is also used in Pro 14 rugby i.e. Edinburgh Gunners, Glasgow Warriors, etc. but they go further and add a pair of 'wildcard' games.

3 hours ago, Jason King said:

I was assuming that its a 33 game championship

There are 34 games.

Each club has 17 home + 17 away: they play their own conference home-n-away (22 games), and the other conference 6 home/6 away (12) according to a seeded pattern.

EDIT: For example Leith are the top ranked club in Conference A, and - going down Conference B's ranking from top to bottom - they play:

home - Preston
away - Coldstream
home - Dalkeith
away - Easthouses
home - Stirling Uni EOS
away - Arniston
home - Tynecastle
away - Edinburgh Utd
home - Inverkeithing
away - Hawick
home - Tweedmouth
away - Glenrothes

and this flips for each club in Conference A (opposite pattern for LTHV, same for Heriot=Watt Uni, etc. etc.). On paper everyone therefore has the same difficulty of home and away games.

EOSL 2019 20 1.JPG     EOSL 2019 20 2.JPG

Edited by HibeeJibee

Personally, I think it's an awesome solution to a unique problem and I'm really looking forward to it.

Totally agree 22 league games would have been too little and playing everyone in your own conference a third time less desirable than everyone in the other once.

As a concept, I really, really like it. It's different, but it's well thought out, well presented, clear and importantly disadvantages no one.

Hats off to whoever came up with it. When I was running through the potential options I certainly didn't think of this one, but it's better than any I had come up with. Obviously only my opinion though. [emoji846]

21 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Having attended the Grand Final at Parkhead on Saturday: it is also used in Pro 14 rugby i.e. Edinburgh Gunners, Glasgow Warriors, etc. but they go further and add a pair of 'wildcard' games.

FWIW, Edinburgh haven't been Gunners for over 10 years.

The wildcard games allow more derbies. So the Welsh and Irish each play an extra match against their compatriots in the other conference, making for home and away matches against everyone from their country. The Scots, Italians and South Africans only have one compatriot so they face them an extra twice, for three derbies a season. 

It's a bit messy and it does give an unequal outcome - if Edinburgh had got to play Zebre some more instead of Glasgow, as Treviso did, they may well have made the play-offs instead of Treviso. You also get an odd number of home and away games. But it does deliver a lot of excitement and big games.

The EoS way of doing it is a lot fairer in that it's seeded on this season's performances, and everyone will have an equal number of home and away matches.

I like what they have come up with for next season, although it's very American Football-ish.  It's fine as a one-off.
Can't wait for the American-esque team names such as Craigroyston Cats vs Dunipace Dynamite or Hawick Hornets vs Preston Panthers.

1 hour ago, GNU_Linux said:
On 28/05/2019 at 13:10, Burnie_man said:
I like what they have come up with for next season, although it's very American Football-ish.  It's fine as a one-off.

Can't wait for the American-esque team names such as Craigroyston Cats vs Dunipace Dynamite or Hawick Hornets vs Preston Panthers.

Camelon mariners. Ours kind of works

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Given the lack of King Cup draw fixtures in tweets by Premier Division clubs, safe to assume it's been restricted to First Division clubs only?

Sad to see Eyemouth taking time oot for every winning horse race there are fallers. I hope it's only temporary. 

Presumably down to the difficulty they have recruiting and retaining players rather than any financial issues?
They also had issues holding down a manager. Believe they had 3 or 4 across the season.

2 minutes ago, Gimme said:

Presumably down to the difficulty they have recruiting and retaining players rather than any financial issues?

Has to be. An unfortunate situation with football in the Borders at the minute with Selkirk, Duns and Kelso having fallen out of senior football of late largely down to player recruitment and competitiveness.

Not sure if Eyemouth even replaced their manager from last month's vacancy.

50 minutes ago, John S said:

Have changes been made to share the gate money for cup ties?

Apparently... clubs agreed the home side will now be responsible for paying all the match officials (i.e. both assistants), but there was no adjustment to the home club retaining the gate in cup-ties.

1 hour ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

what is happening regarding after the conferences this season?

Glenrothes finished above Kinnoull in the East Juniors so on paper Glenrothes would have been in Conference A and Kinnoull in Conference B had this happened earlier.

In the circumstances it's perhaps doubtful that would be done now rather than Kinnoull simply taking-over Eyemouth's fixtures, but who knows.

Otherwise nothing is different to before. You've still got 24 clubs in the First Division, you'll still have 12 clubs in each conference with each club having 17 home & 17 away games, 12/12 and 6/6.

11 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Suggests awaiting Scottish Cup entries ?

Screenshot_20190607-091604_Twitter.jpg

Another victim of this shambles NB - like Bonnyrigg and Whitehill.