New set up for next season

There were two rounds of midweeks in August for the Qualifying Leagues last year and some teams played another two midweeks before September as well so you could easily get 3-4 full sets of midweek League dates in before September.

34 minutes ago, Crossbar said:

But... I can't help thinking that it will be a real struggle to fit all the fictures in. I know league matches will start on July 27 after the scrapping of the Qualifying League (another good decision), but 30 (Premier Division) and 34 (First Division) league games is a lot to get in over a season when you consider that teams will also be participating in 4 or 5 cups.

• Scottish Cup/Alex Jack Cup 
  • South Challenge Cup
  • EoS Qualifying Cup
  • League Cup
  • King Cup (probably Confernce teams only)

There are 44 Saturdays from July 27 to May 23. If there's a one-week break at Christmas, that makes 43 Saturdays.

It's actually 40 Saturdays for the Premier Division as the title race must be finished by 2nd May in case there's play-offs with the SOS winner. Though if you play three midweeks in August/September and another in October it's back to 44.

It'll be 9/16 clubs with floodlights even before Bonnyrigg install theirs, so no doubt one or two midweek rounds will be scheduled under lights and other games can be rescheduled to midweek easier than before.

Will be tight but I have faith!

4 hours ago, edinabear said:

So the premier Division is solely made up of former Junior sides?

For the moment. Shouldn’t have been of course,  but for an awful SFA decision, Whitehill Welfare would be in there.

Numbers wise it's little different to this season.

Looking at the Premier Division - this season they had 26 league dates + 3 qualifying league dates and the league season finished on April 20th. Next season they have 30 leagues dates and no qualifying league - an increase of 1. However with no round robin the season finishes 2 weeks later and they've likely no King Cup. So on paper they're actually 2 or 3 dates better off than this season - 3 or 4 if they say no Christmas break.

Turning to the First Division conferences - this season again 26 + 3. Next season 34 - an increase of 5. However their season finishes 4 weeks later. On paper they're 1 date worse off than this season - 2 if they pick an extended Christmas break. It's maybe running a little hot.

I reckon 11 of 16 Premier and 11 of 24 First Division clubs will be lit, so about 2/3 and 1/2.

The only thing that hasn't been mentioned (I don't think) is the impact on clubs with the extra weeks (in terms of financial outlay). That being said the product is looking good, so hopefully the extra home games over the season for everyone makes up for the extra weeks of operational costs. 

Edited by Guest

If you go back 3yr the old EOS League, looking much like new First Division, played 30 league + 3 qualifying league games. Started on Aug 1st and ended on May 20th, which is exactly the same as Jul 27th to May 16th, and they took an extended Christmas break.

Beyond bad weather, the obvious unknown is whether you think a First Division club can progress deep into multiple cups. This season only Coldstream + Haddington made double figures of cup ties... average was 6 ties (across 5 cups).

On 22/05/2019 at 09:44, HibeeJibee said:

Numbers wise it's little different to this season.

Looking at the Premier Division - this season they had 26 league dates + 3 qualifying league dates and the league season finished on April 20th. Next season they have 30 leagues dates and no qualifying league - an increase of 1. However with no round robin the season finishes 2 weeks later and they've likely no King Cup. So on paper they're actually 2 or 3 dates better off than this season - 3 or 4 if they say no Christmas break.

Turning to the First Division conferences - this season again 26 + 3. Next season 34 - an increase of 5. However their season finishes 4 weeks later. On paper they're 1 date worse off than this season - 2 if they pick an extended Christmas break. It's maybe running a little hot.

I reckon 11 of 16 Premier and 11 of 24 First Division clubs will be lit, so about 2/3 and 1/2.

Knew you'd have it sorted :)

tips-hat-gif-3.gif

Turning to the King Cup for a moment - if you think about it the proposal to restrict it to First Division clubs causes an interesting dynamic.

Obviously it'd relieve Premier Division clubs of it entirely, as well as (unrelated to any "logistical concerns") giving the smaller clubs a much better chance to reach SFs and Finals, win silverware etc. However it would mean a few of them playing 3 to 4 or perhaps even 5 ties... but equally, it would means at least half of them playing only 1 tie since - by definition - in a cup restricted to First Division clubs only, every time such a club won and proceeded to next round, another club would lose and be eliminated.

Btw these playoffs for title / promotion aren't the first in EOSL history: even disregarding this season's title roundrobin there was a title playoff between parallel Border / Edinburgh divisions in 1967-68:

Hawick Royal Albert 4-1 Vale of Leithen
Vale of Leithen 0-3 Hawick Royal Albert

Edited by HibeeJibee

On 23/05/2019 at 08:32, HibeeJibee said:

Natty graphic:

D7MqtVRW4AAFlRz.jpg:large

I have to admit, this is f**king genius! It took a bit of working out, but stunningly fit-for-purpose.

Whoever dreamt that up deserves Administrator of the Decade right now! As a maths buff, I can only describe it as “beautiful”... I failed English miserably though so someone might come up with better

This is possibly a better place for this debate to take place instead of the Premier thread;

20 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

I hope we get an early decision on set-up for 2020-2021, I think it’s important that we start the new campaign knowing what everyone is playing for.  We know there are 3 relegation spots, potentially 4, but relegate to what?

Personally for me, a Premier-First-Second set-up is what we should be looking at for 20-21, no more Conferences.  The Junior clubs have had their chance to join and if nothing changes, they join at tier 8, the Second division.  If sufficient clubs join then you can look at regional divisions at tier 8.

14 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Clearly it's a more complicated - or at least nuanced - issue than previously. Firstly views may well differ between clubs on having a Second Division or not, and if not on having conferences or geographic divisions. Secondly there aren't enough current clubs for 16s all the way down / across and it's unlikely 16-16-8 would fly, so whatever happens you couldn't say for sure what size each - or certainly the lowest - division would be... given you don't know how many (if any) clubs might join in 1yr's time. In turn that'd mean a slightly fuzzy "plumb line" for finishing top X.

1 minute ago, Burnie_man said:

Agree it would be a little more fuzzy than this season, but a 16-12-12 or 16-14-10 would both be workable, the latter would allow for a few new clubs to enter for 20-21 without affecting the first division.   It could be set-up where 12 is agreed to be the minimum number in a first division, and that number can be increased depending on new applicants at tier 8.

Conference play-off loser, plus finishers 3rd, 4th and 5th in each Conference guaranteed to enter first division, with best 6th or both 6th, or best 7th or both 7th etc until 12, 14 or even 16 positions are filled depending on number relegated from Premier together with number of new applicants.

It gives something to aim for in both Conferences just like this season for “mid-table” clubs, but admittedly with a few more ifs and buts.  Better that than not to have any idea at all going into next season IMO.

You do have the possibility, however slight, that there are major changes involving the East Juniors but then that would probably require an EGM to consider and approve league set-ups anyway.

20 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

This is possibly a better place for this debate to take place instead of the Premier thread;

Think part of the issue with committing to tiered divisions right now isn't just number of clubs, but number of games.

We could of just had 22 conference games this year but it seems that was thought too few and we got inter-conference play to bulk up the calendar.

4 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Think part of the issue with committing to tiered divisions right now isn't just number of clubs, but number of games.

We could of just had 22 conference games this year but it seems that was thought too few and we got inter-conference play to bulk up the calendar.

I don't think playing 3 rounds of games to make a 33 game season unreasonable (in a 12 team division), with some form of seeded draw to decide home or away for the third round of matches. Not much different to what is happening next season.

The SFL done it for years in Divisions 1 and 2, and it would only be a short term measure until you got divisions upto 14-16 clubs.

Edited by Burnie_man

2 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

I don't think playing 3 rounds of games to make a 33 game season unreasonable (in a 12 team division), with some form of seeded draw to decide home or away for the third round of matches. Not much different to what is happening next season.

The SFL done it for years in Divisions 1 and 2, and it would only be a short term measure until you got divisions upto 14-16 clubs.

They would have been better in my opinion of 22 game season. Qualifying league of 4 leagues of 6. Top 2 from each going into league cup with 16 premier teams

25 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

They would have been better in my opinion of 22 game season. Qualifying league of 4 leagues of 6. Top 2 from each going into league cup with 16 premier teams

I like what they have come up with for next season, although it's very American Football-ish.  It's fine as a one-off.

Will be interesting to see how the two conferences do vs each other. Points total should count towards which teams make it into the 1st division for the season after (if there is a 1st and 2nd division split).