Killie's "European" Tour 2019/20

22 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Have you seen him play?

Not live, but watched a lot of videos of him from his time in Romania and Lithuania. He couldn't get down to shots, and every time a cross came in the box he came flying out and flapped at it, often clattering several defenders in the process.

If people are trying to say that Alloa Athletic and Arbroath would destroy CQN on every occasion they are delusional. 

Yup. Fortunately most people realise that that isn’t how football works. Connah’s Quay are nowhere near that level over the course of a season.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

He started both legs of the Nomads game with 10 of the same team who beat Rangers on the final day. He had time to bring in players and he opted to bring in an absolutely fucking hopeless goalkeeper and yet another defensive midfielder when we already had three.

Aye but the pitch advantage was gone (for now).

Without Stewart, Jones and Mulumbu there's not much quality on the ball.

We had the 4th best away record in the league last season (only 3 points behind Rangers), and actually dropped points in all 3 of our away matches on plastic. We didn't have Stewart or Jones for most of the second half of the season. And again, Alessio had plenty of time to bring in some more "quality on the ball", or even to pick someone like Kiltie the other night. He failed to do so, which is completely on him.

On 19/07/2019 at 08:46, Lex said:

If this was a one off then your point would stand. It’s not though. The fact is that results like this happen pretty much every year to different Scottish clubs.

If it’s not Hearts getting knocked out by a Maltese team, it’s Rangers getting knocked out by a team from Luxembourg, it’s St Johnstone getting knocked out by a team from Armenia. I could certainly go on, Killie are just the latest entrant on the roll of shame. They won’t be the last either.

The reality is the record in Europe of Scottish teams outside the Old Firm is absolutely shocking in modern times. I’m not entirely sure the reason for this, but I suspect it’s mainly because our teams aren’t as good as we think they are.

But that's pretty much the lot of most clubs from every non-money league in Europe.

Nobody mentions Saints beating champions league regulars Rosenberg, or knocking out Lucern, the sixth best team in the Swiss top league with 20 times our budget.  Both were every bit as good a result, probably better, than Alaskert etc were poor.   Aberdeen have had a few decent results the past couple of seasons despite doing the square root of f**k all in the competition.  It's Cup football, it's the middle of summer against generally what are fairly unknown opponents. 

We seem to think we should be scudding all comers just because we're mostly ignorant of anything about them.  The co-efficient table makes us think we're better than we are because we've got two cash rich (or one recently) clubs that can often sweep aside diddies and propel us up the table.  

The truth is, it's not the 1980's; none of our clubs are going to win anything in Europe, it's a huge big stitch up aimed at looking after clubs from the money leagues.  Who gives a f**k?  Fans of clubs that get there should enjoy the trips they get, and the rest of us get to point and laugh when they get papped out by an alashkert or whoever.  That's about all European football is now to clubs from most leagues, unless they're lucky enough to get heavily financially doped for a couple of years.

Having said all this, losing to some diddy Welsh outfit is hilarious. Right up there with the hibs9-0 embarrassment.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

We had the 4th best away record in the league last season (only 3 points behind Rangers), and actually dropped points in all 3 of our away matches on plastic. We didn't have Stewart or Jones for most of the second half of the season. And again, Alessio had plenty of time to bring in some more "quality on the ball", or even to pick someone like Kiltie the other night. He failed to do so, which is completely on him.

The points per game difference with and without Stewart must have been quite large though? Top in mid December albeit with Celtic having games in hand. Finishing 20 points behind them in May.

Edited by TavTastic

23 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

34 from 16 games with him in the team, 33 from 22 without him.

Obviously slightly skewed by us having harder fixtures without him post-split (though we took 9 points from them anyway).

It's a large gap. Goals scored declined a lot without him. 

2.125 PPG with him is seriously impressive.

19 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Yes, we all know he plays for rangers now. Boring.

That wasn't my point. I don't think he'll be a regular starter for us.

The point was more that Killie need more quality and technically able players in the final third.

Edited by TavTastic

So are the guys who booked up for Belgrade still going? Not having a go because I did the same for the Czech Republic after Falkirk got knocked out by Vaduz.:-(

In my case I just stayed in Prague instead of getting laughed at by Vaduz fans, I'd imagine the buses to Belgrade from Budapest will be getting cancelled too.

2 hours ago, ancientnoise said:

Still, since they were last promoted to the top tier in '93, they've managed to avoid relegation.  Other teams? Not so much. 

Well bully for you.

I'd take a relegation, Scottish Cup, promotion every 10 years to be honest.

Guest JTS98
2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I've seen us win both domestic cups without the need to get relegated.

Nothing wrong with a good relegation. A change is as good as a holiday and all that.

Especially a hastily booked holiday...

Edited by JTS98