Killie's "European" Tour 2019/20

Jamie Insall made cheerful headlines when Hibernian plucked him from non-league obscurity. Two years later, and without a first-team appearance for the Scottish Premiership club to his name, the striker left under a cloud after failing a drug test. A UK Anti-Doping-imposed ban from all sport followed, a period the 27-year-old Englishman describes as the worst in his life. There was yet more publicity when he tried his hand at bare-knuckle boxing, but then he quietly returned to football in April with Connah's Quay Nomads, who finished runners-up in the Welsh Premier League and take on Kilmarnock in Europa League qualifying this week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48901724

Yup. That's about the size of it.

21 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The referees in UEFA tournaments are drawn from all the countries across Europe, and aren't likely to be any different standard to what we normally get. We could get the Bulgarian Andrew Dallas or the Lithuanian Alan Muir.

Do all refs in scotland need to be UEFA licenced? i.e. could any Scottish official referee a Europa league match?

Guest Moomintroll
Do all refs in scotland need to be UEFA licenced? i.e. could any Scottish official referee a Europa league match?
Yes to the first question, no to the second, you need to be on the UEFA list which has 4 categories. I think we had 6 referees on it last season but astonishingly one of those was Andrew Dallas, so make of that what you will.

20 minutes ago, PrestersKTID said:

There is a separate UEFA list which each association can put several referees forward for, and most of the top Scottish officials who do Premiership matches most weeks will also be on the UEFA list. The majority will only be involved in the qualifying rounds when there are loads of games to go around (there are 65 games across the CL and EL this week, for example), while only the "elite" guys will be involved at the group stages and beyond.

In general, though, Scottish referees are pretty highly regarded within UEFA, and are probably on average better than those from most other "smaller" UEFA nations.

Guest Moomintroll

Erik Lambrechts is the Referee tomorrow. Looking at his stats he has a fair amount of experience but his card count has diminished over the years which suggests he favours game management over laying down the law which will work against us. 

On 04/07/2019 at 11:03, paul wright scores said:

I have accommodation booked in Rhyl but have no ticket and doubt very much I will be heading down without one.    I haven't booked travel yet and if I was somehow able to acquire one the cost is way higher now than it would have been 10 days ago, when the club should have completed dividing up their allocation.  They've made up their process on the hoof when you consider the way it has been done, the lack of communication and the manner they have treated the Privileged Seat Holders.  Absolutely fu**ing clueless.  The CEO and the rest of the board should be held accountable for the mess they have made and the negativity surrounding this.  They have managed to take away all the enjoyment many of us experienced after qualifying for Europe for the first time in years. 

To say I am pissed off is an understatement - i'm a shareholder, watched Killie since the 60s, been a season ticket holder for over 30 years, go to at least half the away games each season, even when we were taking 400-500 or less to many games, done the Lotto for over 20 years, contribute to TiK yet there is no system in place to reward loyalty from the club. I am also going to Belgrade. 

I don't stay in Ayrshire so travelling to many away games is far more expensive that travelling on a supporters bus, but hey-ho we don't count according to the club.  Once we become less successful, which will happen, as success is cyclical for clubs like us, many of those who have managed to get tickets this time will find something else to do on a Saturday. Not all, but many!

I probably come across as bitter and to be honest I am, as is usual with these circumstances loyalty is not always rewarded. 

Stating the obvious but Killie need to have a points database system in place. Aberdeen points system does work well so those regulars that go home and away get first shout.

Good luck in Europe as you will be the only other Scottish team that I'll be supporting in Europe this season! 

Edited by betting competition

I've been a season ticket holder for 22 years (on and off) and this was the first game where it has been difficult to get a ticket.

We have sold out our away allocation before, but that's been at places like St Mirren where we get about 2000 tickets and they finally sell out a couple of days before the match.

This is the first time I can think of where demand has outstripped supply on such a massive scale. It's the combination of it being our first time in Europe for 18 years, the game being nearby and the ground being so small.

So it's easy in hindsight to say that there should be a points system etc, but in reality it would likely be a lot of time and effort to set something like that up for a situation that happens so rarely. Given that most of our away games at pay at the gate rather than all-ticket, it would presumably be a pain in the arse to manage on a weekly basis too.

What I would say, however, is that the club should have a more organised and fairer way of distributing the tickets going forward. They seemed to be caught on the hop by this whole situation.

I agree with Craig - there's not really all that much call for something like that to happen on the basis that this kind of situation hardly ever crops up. A points system wouldn't suit me all that well anyway due to my own circumstances, but if most of our fans wanted something like that I'd accept it. 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I've been a season ticket holder for 22 years (on and off) and this was the first game where it has been difficult to get a ticket.

We have sold out our away allocation before, but that's been at places like St Mirren where we get about 2000 tickets and they finally sell out a couple of days before the match.

This is the first time I can think of where demand has outstripped supply on such a massive scale. It's the combination of it being our first time in Europe for 18 years, the game being nearby and the ground being so small.

So it's easy in hindsight to say that there should be a points system etc, but in reality it would likely be a lot of time and effort to set something like that up for a situation that happens so rarely. Given that most of our away games at pay at the gate rather than all-ticket, it would presumably be a pain in the arse to manage on a weekly basis too.

What I would say, however, is that the club should have a more organised and fairer way of distributing the tickets going forward. They seemed to be caught on the hop by this whole situation.

As always, I completely agree.  Every piece of circumstance around this game made it a nightmare for the club and, regardless of what they did, they wouldn't have been able to fulfill the demand.  They could've done things better and with the way the club is ran now I'm sure they will learn from their mistakes and try to set it up better in the future.

The planning for this match, has at least been a learning curve for the board and the club. If we manage to knock out Connah's over these two matches, then hopefully we might see the club take a different approach towards selling tickets for Serbia. 

Having heard their loud-mouth manager and see them in the Challenge Cup , really hope Killie knock tons past them. A gang of the worst description.

Belgrade will be fantastic too if youse get through.

It may well be a difficult game and they'll hack the shit out of Killie, so hopefully no injuries and a thumping 5-0 win would be marvelous.

Just seen on Twitter, KFC are offering a 15% discount to Killie fans (in their colours). These Welsh hosts are spoiling you guys. :)

Guest Moomintroll
4 minutes ago, Kejan said:

Having heard their loud-mouth manager and see them in the Challenge Cup , really hope Killie knock tons past them. A gang of the worst description.

Belgrade will be fantastic too if youse get through.

It may well be a difficult game and they'll hack the shit out of Killie, so hopefully no injuries and a thumping 5-0 win would be marvelous.

Just seen on Twitter, KFC are offering a 15% discount to Killie fans (in their colours). These Welsh hosts are spoiling you guys. :)

2 minute walk from the pub selling pints for £1.89 as well. Just about to phone a taxi to head to Chester Station, this is going to be a messy day.