Jump to content
RossBFaeDundee

Who replaces Cove?

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I don't think the HL are that bothered about having an even number of teams. Just means each team gets a couple of match nights off a year, there are loads of postponements anyway.

Aye... but in previous seasons we've not had letters being written to BoD over an invite; consideration being given to adding Inverness 'B' team; or talks being held on launching an application process (not just speculative applications). So going down to odd numbers isn't proving "business as usual".

So I think it is interesting to wonder what happens if there is an application process concluding next spring but they end-up back at even numbers for whatever reason (Fort fold / leave, Brora up/Cowdenbeath down, Kelty up/Elgin down, whatever). Does the winner of that application process get told "oops - sorry - it turns out there's no room at the inn"... do they admit 1 and run with odd numbers again, despite having wanted away from it, and launch another application process... or do they admit 2 to reach an even number.

Afterall this scenario could happen in perpetuity as long as HL lacks feeders.

Of course it's academic if the decision is to run with 17 and no invites/applications full-stop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Aye... but in previous seasons we've not had letters being written to BoD over an invite; consideration being given to adding Inverness 'B' team; or talks being held on launching an application process (not just speculative applications). So going down to odd numbers isn't proving "business as usual".

So I think it is interesting to wonder what happens if there is an application process concluding next spring but they end-up back at even numbers for whatever reason (Fort fold / leave, Brora up/Cowdenbeath down, Kelty up/Elgin down, whatever). Does the winner of that application process get told "oops - sorry - it turns out there's no room at the inn"... do they admit 1 and run with odd numbers again, despite having wanted away from it, and launch another application process... or do they admit 2 to reach an even number.

Afterall this scenario could happen in perpetuity as long as HL lacks feeders.

Of course it's academic if the decision is to run with 17 and no invites/applications full-stop.

Even without a new applicant the season 20/21 could have 16, 17, or 18 teams in it, so the HL has to be adaptable. If it went to 19 with BoD's unlikely entry, I don't see where a 20th club would come from, and I'd hate to see it switch to 2x10. 

Edited by welshbairn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can of worms taped and stapled shut.

I don't see why ICT can't loan their youngsters out to HL clubs, this would be just as beneficial?

Problem with the North of Scotland is that there just isn't enough clubs to fill the gap between the semi pro HL and the regional amateur leagues. Most of the clubs who play in the North Juniors as an example are only a small step up from the summer amateur leagues and just don't have the funds, the infrastructure or the quality of player to rise to the level required to compete competitively in the HL. 

Entering the HL is all well and good but any aspiring club would look to be competitive and not just there to make up the numbers. When you look at the top and the bottom of the HL and the top of the North Juniors Superleague and the bottom of the East and West leagues you should be aware of the huge gulf in quality. Trying to bridge these gaps is a huge ask for many clubs, in the Juniors it isn't helped by the number of clubs that have dropped out. Finding numbers for example a committee members and players who can commit for a full season is a real issue for many clubs below the HL. The key word being numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48433142?fbclid=IwAR0KPAc_oftX_kNQd1676The0bK0zbNkf-wxK-u876SGU6jnABMkAwPavx0

 

However, Cardno says the club [BoD] should have been ready for the eventuality of Cove Rangers being promoted to the SPFL.

"They were champions last year and there was the potential for them being champions again the current year," he said.

"If they [BoD] had a real desire to come into the Highland League, you would have anticipated that they would have been making plans along the way to say if that happens will we put the application in to join."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With BoD the only really candidate to come from outside the pyramid there's no incentive to declare an interest in applying for 2020-21 until the very last minute. The Highland League should set a deadline for applications to force any interested parties to apply early as possible and not just wait until the SPFL2 play-offs have run their course. Right now anyone can apply right up until the HL AGM.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

With BoD the only really candidate to come from outside the pyramid there's no incentive to declare an interest in applying for 2020-21 until the very last minute. The Highland League should set a deadline for applications to force any interested parties to apply early as possible and not just wait until the SPFL2 play-offs have run their course. Right now anyone can apply right up until the HL AGM.

 

 

The SFA should also be putting the squeeze on Banks O’Dee as a club who has a license actively avoiding joining a pyramid league, which is a requirement for licensing. They should be saying that they must apply to the HFL for 2020/21 or their license will be revoked.

Hopefully the SJFA Scottish cup places are reduced to only the Scottish Junior Cup winners to force their hand and get into line with the pyramid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/1758965/highland-league-opts-to-go-with-17-teams-following-cove-rangers-promotion/

Quote

Highland League secretary Rod Houston said: “Caley Thistle had approached us to consider the possibility of a colts team joining but, at the minute, there are too many impondrables for the clubs to be comfortable with.

“I think that given the speed of events in the last month with Cove’s elevation, the fact that Banks o’ Dee are eligible for Highland League membership, by virtue of the fact that they are a Scottish FA club, the fact that they declined meant that the rest of the clubs just wanted to catch their breath.

“It would have been completely disrespectful to the Lowland League champions and club 42, which this season was Berwick, for us to have done anything in advance of the outcome of the play-offs.

“The Highland League prides itself in being a respectful organisation.”

Not quite sure I get this logic, does that mean the LL having possible relegation for 15th in their rules is disrespectful to club 42 and the tier 5 winners?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First ive seen about a 17 team league disappointing to here they couldn't get the likes off Banks O Dee to get in. On another note tho great to see ICT colts get rejected 100% agree they should loan players out on loans to clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah looking like season 19/20 is a one off at 17 teams then it's back up to 18 for 20/21.

Hopefully its BOD who join and not ICT colts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/05/2019 at 22:27, Ginaro said:

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/1758965/highland-league-opts-to-go-with-17-teams-following-cove-rangers-promotion/

Not quite sure I get this logic, does that mean the LL having possible relegation for 15th in their rules is disrespectful to club 42 and the tier 5 winners?

Just covering their arse for not having made any preparations for something that would inevitably happen eventually. Quite how the SFA allows them to have no plans or policies in place regarding the pyramid ought to surprise me, but doesn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...