Who replaces Cove?

RossBFaeDundee

On 24/05/2019 at 12:51, edinabear said:

I do always find it quite amusing that people are quite happy for Stirling Uni and Stranraer to field reserve sides in the Pyramid and yet when it is suggested the Old Firm do all hell breaks loose when these Colts teams might actually bring some extra revenue to the lower league.

:lol:

13 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I think they should too, just not forced to when randomly a place becomes available. 

Erm yes, because who could have possibly foretold Cove Rangers bodying one of the worst sides in national football history a few weeks ago. Or expected a HL champion to earn promotion at any time in the near future having already reached several finals and come close to doing so. 

This is something that any credible football club should have a contingency plan in place for. 

I do always find it quite amusing that people are quite happy for Stirling Uni and Stranraer to field reserve sides in the Pyramid and yet when it is suggested the Old Firm do all hell breaks loose when these Colts teams might actually bring some extra revenue to the lower league.
Extra costs too as the clubs would have to pay for stewards to control the shell-suited sectarian neds that'd turn up.

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:
5 hours ago, craigkillie said:
Nobody, shellsuited or otherwise, would turn up, we've already established that in the IRN-BRU Cup.

I disagree. I reckon that SPFL games on a Saturday would attract the wallopers.

Well, let's hope we never find out, eh?

If BoD are saying they'll apply next year, and the place is held not given to Inverness 'B' (shudder), I don't think it's outlandishly controversial. They may have signed-up players for the Juniors etc.

However what would happen if Elgin, Cove or Brechin came down and HL was back to 18? Are they then committed to taking in 2 clubs to make 20: or does the door close on BoD once again?

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

If BoD are saying they'll apply next year, and the place is held not given to Inverness 'B' (shudder), I don't think it's outlandishly controversial. They may have signed-up players for the Juniors etc.

However what would happen if Elgin, Cove or Brechin came down and HL was back to 18? Are they then committed to taking in 2 clubs to make 20: or does the door close on BoD once again?

All we know is that the league regulations allow for applications at the AGM and that the league would go to 20 clubs; any higher and they would split into two divisions. It would be difficult to see how the HFL could turn down BoD, a licenced team in their catchment area.

I guess it would've been the same situation had one of the North of Tay clubs been relegated and a Lowland team promoted in previous seasons. 

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I don't think the HL are that bothered about having an even number of teams. Just means each team gets a couple of match days or nights off a year, there are loads of postponements anyway.

Edited by welshbairn

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I don't think the HL are that bothered about having an even number of teams. Just means each team gets a couple of match nights off a year, there are loads of postponements anyway.

Aye... but in previous seasons we've not had letters being written to BoD over an invite; consideration being given to adding Inverness 'B' team; or talks being held on launching an application process (not just speculative applications). So going down to odd numbers isn't proving "business as usual".

So I think it is interesting to wonder what happens if there is an application process concluding next spring but they end-up back at even numbers for whatever reason (Fort fold / leave, Brora up/Cowdenbeath down, Kelty up/Elgin down, whatever). Does the winner of that application process get told "oops - sorry - it turns out there's no room at the inn"... do they admit 1 and run with odd numbers again, despite having wanted away from it, and launch another application process... or do they admit 2 to reach an even number.

Afterall this scenario could happen in perpetuity as long as HL lacks feeders.

Of course it's academic if the decision is to run with 17 and no invites/applications full-stop.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Aye... but in previous seasons we've not had letters being written to BoD over an invite; consideration being given to adding Inverness 'B' team; or talks being held on launching an application process (not just speculative applications). So going down to odd numbers isn't proving "business as usual".

So I think it is interesting to wonder what happens if there is an application process concluding next spring but they end-up back at even numbers for whatever reason (Fort fold / leave, Brora up/Cowdenbeath down, Kelty up/Elgin down, whatever). Does the winner of that application process get told "oops - sorry - it turns out there's no room at the inn"... do they admit 1 and run with odd numbers again, despite having wanted away from it, and launch another application process... or do they admit 2 to reach an even number.

Afterall this scenario could happen in perpetuity as long as HL lacks feeders.

Of course it's academic if the decision is to run with 17 and no invites/applications full-stop.

Even without a new applicant the season 20/21 could have 16, 17, or 18 teams in it, so the HL has to be adaptable. If it went to 19 with BoD's unlikely entry, I don't see where a 20th club would come from, and I'd hate to see it switch to 2x10. 

Edited by welshbairn