Who replaces Cove?

RossBFaeDundee

It has always been understood that 'B' teams would not be allowed into these sorts of levels; and indeed LL's rule is worded as if it applies across the whole (not just their half). Probably it was never conceived that it could occur in HL and so no equivalent rule was put in place. After all there were no levels below for such teams to come from and in its entire 125-year history there's never been such a team with the exception of Aberdeen 'B' for a few years in the 1910s and a single season in 1924-25. Were this loophole to make it possible for Inverness 'B' to join at tier 5 of the pyramid it would be deeply troubling: not only for the integrity of HL and potentially of the pyramid playoff, but as it would undoubtedly be cited to press for OF 'B' teams in SPFL itself. It shouldn't happen unilaterally.

As regards BoD - they can cite short notice now, perhaps justifiably, but if HL opens-up applications for 2020-21 they surely have to choose.

The pyramid play off rules only allow champions to enter if they come from a League which contains no existing SPFL members - ICT Colts would lose the HL the right to a play off spot

9 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

The pyramid play off rules only allow champions to enter if they come from a League which contains no existing SPFL members - ICT Colts would lose the HL the right to a play off spot

This the rule you're talking about?

EDIT: Which is from the SPFL rules and regulations and not the Pyramid Play-off Competition Rules.

image.png.fd3d0ceb5d01be7b95ba94c035091c0a.png

Edited by FairWeatherFan

9 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

It's true than onus doesn't rest on HL alone. Equally no-one is going to bother forming (say) a Northern League without confirmation it would get promotion/relegation into HL. That would be daft.

Bit of chicken-and-egg here all round. HL clubs were also lukewarm to the pyramid; ultimately they voted 16-1 in favour of joining (only Buckie against and Cove absent IIRC). SFA proposed a 10-team Highland Regional Division with HL below; HL clubs then decided to join en masse. Etc. etc.

Tbf it also seems to be a confused picture. Did not almost every Junior club vote in favour of joining the pyramid at last years SJFA AGM? I recall less than a handful voted against? However it seems at HL-North Juniors meeting a majority were against linking-up.

In the juniors' pyramid survey, the North clubs were roughly ⅓ against and ⅔ in favour, but several commented that they didn't really think the survey applied to them, anyway. I believe you're correct regarding the outcome of the HFL/NRJFA discussions, although the NCL seemed open to the idea of the pyramid. Bolting the NRJFA and NCL on below the HFL makes sense, although I don't think this should be done without the consent of the clubs. The difficulty is what happens with the North of Tay ERJFA clubs in such a system.

:thumbsdown

https://www.rangersnews.uk/columnist/could-rangers-colts-become-a-reality-thanks-to-highland-league/

Rangers have long been in favour of the addition of Colt teams to the Scottish league system – and a reported move by the Highland League could finally open doors for the Gers.

According to the BBC, an imbalance of teams caused Cove Rangers’ promotion to the SPFL has left the Highland League looking at how to deal with having an odd number of teams next season. One of the proposals is that Championship side Inverness Caley Thistle fielding a Colt team - although opinion is said to be split.

Rangers have been pushing to field a Colt team for a number of years and have so far only succeeded in getting entry to the Challenge Cup.

With Inverness potentially having a team in the Highland League Rangers could now pursue entry to the Lowland League, or one of its feeder leagues, in a bid to provide a pathway to first-team football for the Gers youngsters. The recent expansion below the Lowland League has seen an influx of Junior teams from the East region into the senior league pyramid – with clubs from the West region expected to follow before long.

As Rangers continue to push for entry to the SPFL for Colt teams, finding a way into the league pyramid at a lower level may be a short-term fix.

If Highland League clubs do decide to allow Inverness to enter a Colt team then it’s difficult to see how similar moves by Rangers could be blocked.

7 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

:thumbsdown

First of all, I totally agree that this idea should be booted.

But from arguements sake, what if...

Any club wishing the play a “Colts” team, must register the team as a completely different club, that ground share with their parent club. No mid-season (out of window) transfers between Parent and Colt teams.Therefore passing any entry requirements for unto tier 6, while, due to ground sharing and obvious other issues, wouldn’t be eligible for tier 5 or above...or any cups that their parent teams are already in.

I think Stirling Uni have a similar set up for their EoS team

Obviously the Highlands only have down to tier 5, so until they sort it out and create a tier 6 and below, ICT will just have to wait. Unless the HL want to be tier 6 and all north teams are invited into a new tier 5 which initially can run with as many/little teams necessary and will allow a year or 2 for teams that aren’t licensed already to get one...

I really think if something really radical happened, you’ll find a lot of Aberdeenshire/ Tayside clubs are more interested than they are currently letting on

Edited by Spyro

16 hours ago, Spyro said:

Shitebags, although maybe time for the HL to wake up from their dormant state and create an exciting league that teams actually WANT to enter

Wind yer neck in bud,the SHFL has been on the go since 1893 and has always been a competitive league,yeah it's had it's dominant teams at times,Caledonian,Elgin and more recently Cove but it's a hard fought league for anyone to win.

With Cove gone it's gonna be a tussle for the title next season!!

Agree with BM,if BoD have declined  membership then I would give them until this time next season to change they're minds or the licence is taken from them!!

8 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:
16 hours ago, Spyro said:

Shitebags, although maybe time for the HL to wake up from their dormant state and create an exciting league that teams actually WANT to enter

Wind yer neck in bud,the SHFL has been on the go since 1893 and has always been a competitive league,yeah it's had it's dominant teams at times,Caledonian,Elgin and more recently Cove but it's a hard fought league for anyone to win.

Agree with BM,if BoD have declined  membership then I would give them until this time next season to change they're minds or the licence is taken from them!!

There has been plenty of interest in the HFL with Wick, Locos, Strathspey, Turriff and Formartine all joining in recent times. For a variety of reasons new candidates are now pretty thin on the ground. BOD are the one obvious team to step up but I can understand why they don't want to do it at such short notice. Also, I'm not comfortable with the HFL extending an individual invitation to BOD or an other team. In the absence of a pyramid the proper thing would be to invite applications and judge each of those who apply on merit.

8 minutes ago, Northboy said:

There has been plenty of interest in the HFL with Wick, Locos, Strathspey, Turriff and Formartine all joining in recent times. For a variety of reasons new candidates are now pretty thin on the ground. BOD are the one obvious team to step up but I can understand why they don't want to do it at such short notice. Also, I'm not comfortable with the HFL extending an individual invitation to BOD or an other team. In the absence of a pyramid the proper thing would be to invite applications and judge each of those who apply on merit.

Any team can apply at any time. BOD are probably the only team that are ready to join for 2019/20, even if they say they aren't.

Edited by welshbairn

15 minutes ago, Northboy said:

Considering BoD are the only team that are licensed with floodlights in the HFL area, I can't see an issue with inviting them individually. It's not like anyone else can apply at this point.

I don't buy the argument that this is too short notice for BoD.  There's 2 months before the season kicks-off, they already have a squad capable of holding their own in the HL, and the travelling wont come as a shock either.  What is it they need to prepare for?

If they indicate to the HL that they will join for 2020-21 then fine, if not, remove the licence at next audit for non-compliance.

The HL should invite applications for next season, and also consider those who apply with a deferment to 20-21.  They need to be pro-active about this, and they need to keep ICT at arms length. 

1 hour ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Yeah the top 6 will be brilliant, I agree. There’s another 11 teams who even before the season starts, have nothing but the cups and maybe finishing a place higher than “a” to look forwards to. Not even a relegation place to avoid.

I am aware of the great history, I’ve always said I would love it to find it’s spark again, but as an outsider looking in, it hasn’t moved with the times. Plus the Juniors and the SFA are just as old, and look how they are being run right now

42 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

I don't buy the argument that this is too short notice for BoD.  There's 2 months before the season kicks-off, they already have a squad capable of holding their own in the HL, and the travelling wont come as a shock either.  What is it they need to prepare for?

If they indicate to the HL that they will join for 2020-21 then fine, if not, remove the licence at next audit for non-compliance.

The HL should invite applications for next season, and also consider those who apply with a deferment to 20-21.  They need to be pro-active about this, and they need to keep ICT at arms length. 

I agree that BoD should apply for 2020/21.

But I do believe it's a bit last minute. The squad they have are junior for a reason and there is budgetary concerns with the increased travel.

Did a Google maps check (basic I know). For round trip league campaigns HL = 65+ hours travel and Super League = 17 hours.

That's nearly four times the travel.

3 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I agree that BoD should apply for 2020/21.

But I do believe it's a bit last minute. The squad they have are junior for a reason and there is budgetary concerns with the increased travel.

Did a Google maps check (basic I know). For round trip league campaigns HL = 65+ hours travel and Super League = 17 hours.

That's nearly four times the travel.

Fair point, but it's not an insurmountable issue.

1 hour ago, Burnie_man said:

Fair point, but it's not an insurmountable issue.

Its not with some time to plan for it. They've already tried to apply previously and they're in a better position now than back then.

If they don't apply with a year's notice they've ran out of excuses.

I do always find it quite amusing that people are quite happy for Stirling Uni and Stranraer to field reserve sides in the Pyramid and yet when it is suggested the Old Firm do all hell breaks loose when these Colts teams might actually bring some extra revenue to the lower league.

27 minutes ago, edinabear said:

I do always find it quite amusing that people are quite happy for Stirling Uni and Stranraer to field reserve sides in the Pyramid and yet when it is suggested the Old Firm do all hell breaks loose when these Colts teams might actually bring some extra revenue to the lower league.

How did that work out in the Challenge Cup?

Stirling Uni and Stranraer are at the lowest level possible in leagues that are barely above amateur. I'd boot them out regardless but it's slightly different.

2 hours ago, edinabear said:

Your argument uses the Uni of Stirling and Stranraer as examples but how much extra revenue did Hibs reserves/colts bring to the EOSFL a few short seasons back and I'd think youd agree Hibs are a far bigger outfit than them 2 teams or ICT at that will ever be ? 

15 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Why punish a compliant club for not wanting to join the HL?

Since there is no automatic promotion between Junior football and the 5th level in the Scottish football pyramid why should a club be punished for not wanting to join the HL?

Some clubs want to function as a link between semi pro football and the amateur football in the north of Scotland why take away a grading which the club has worked hard for just because someone feels uncomfortable about there being an odd number in the HL?

Clubs should be allowed to function in the way they want and should not be forced to be promoted to a league they are not comfortable competing in.

I agree they should not be forced to move anywhere, in which case the Licence should be removed.   If they don't join the Pyramid, they are not compliant.