Who replaces Cove?

RossBFaeDundee

I am by no means an expert of the HFL (Am a big Fort William fan though), so what are the plans now, as Cove have deservedly joined the SPFL? Does the league continue on with an awkward 17-team league, or does a North Caledonian league team/North Junior team take their place? I'd assume Banks O'Dee would be the main candidate, but just want to know if anyone had any more info.

I am by no means an expert of the HFL (Am a big Fort William fan though), so what are the plans now, as Cove have deservedly joined the SPFL? Does the league continue on with an awkward 17-team league, or does a North Caledonian league team/North Junior team take their place? I'd assume Banks O'Dee would be the main candidate, but just want to know if anyone had any more info.
Continues at 17 teams. Banks O' Dee have stated they are happy where they are (dominating the north juniors plus guaranteed Scottish Cup entry). The other licensed club Golspie Sutherland of the NCL are far too small to make the jump plus they'd need to add floodlights with derrogation to comply with licensing changes. Taking part in Highland League requires a license & no other club in north has one nor could any get one as to get a license a club has to be in membership of a league within the pyramid.

6 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

In recent history the HFL ran as a 15 team league for 8 seasons (2001-2009). Running at 17 isn't going to present a problem for them. It's going to be 17 teams next year as it doesn't look likely anyone will apply.

As for candidates right now there's only two obvious clubs to consider. Part of the HFL admission requirements is full membership of the SFA and floodlights. Banks O'dee are the only club that meet that standard and Golspie Sutherland are full members of the SFA but do not current have floodlights.

You'll probably see a wait and see approach next year. Banks O'Dee can afford to see what others do, Golspie need floodlights and everyone else needs licensed. And the LL champions are potential favourites for promotion next year, so the HFL could see Cove, Elgin or Brechin join through relegation.

4 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

In recent history the HFL ran as a 15 team league for 8 seasons (2001-2009). Running at 17 isn't going to present a problem for them. It's going to be 17 teams next year as it doesn't look likely anyone will apply.

As for candidates right now there's only two obvious clubs to consider. Part of the HFL admission requirements is full membership of the SFA and floodlights. Banks O'dee are the only club that meet that standard and Golspie Sutherland are full members of the SFA but do not current have floodlights.

You'll probably see a wait and see approach next year. Banks O'Dee can afford to see what others do, Golspie need floodlights and everyone else needs licensed. And the LL champions are potential favourites for promotion next year, so the HFL could see Cove, Elgin or Brechin join through relegation.

There could also be no HFL left if all the HFL champions won promotion. Highly unlikely but still could happen under the current set up  ? 

29 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

From other threads I note that Banks of Dee dont want to take the spot and the HL seem to be happy to stay at 17.  It doesnt help to make the Pyramid system function well  when Leagues dont want to play their part.

12 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

There could also be no HFL left if all the HFL champions won promotion. Highly unlikely but still could happen under the current set up  ? 

Can't wait to see Fort William win the HFL championship in 2035-36 by walk-over :)

12 minutes ago, honestman54 said:

From other threads I note that Banks of Dee dont want to take the spot and the HL seem to be happy to stay at 17.  It doesnt help to make the Pyramid system function well  when Leagues dont want to play their part.

Ahead of the HL/LL portion of the play-off the Banks O'Dee chairman said they don't expect an invite and it's too short notice for them to budget for a HL campaign. Now they've got a year to think it about it, I wonder what their next excuse will be?

35 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Ahead of the HL/LL portion of the play-off the Banks O'Dee chairman said they don't expect an invite and it's too short notice for them to budget for a HL campaign. Now they've got a year to think it about it, I wonder what their next excuse will be?

Don't budget for it then, you're hardly going to be relegated. Enter and work towards boosting finances.  I really hope they get their Licence removed if they continue to refuse to move to the Pyramid.

3 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Asking for the voice in my head, but... What chance of Montrose Roselea applying? It would fair shake things up a bit 

Unless they become full SFA members before the AGM then there's no chance.

10 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Asking for the voice in my head, but... What chance of Montrose Roselea applying? It would fair shake things up a bit 

It's unlikely. Groundsharing with Montrose FC gives them a ground that would aid them getting licensed. However, one of the HFL rules is having access to your registered ground every Saturday of the season.  So that rules them out of the HFL.

2.3 Registered Ground

2.3.1 All clubs must confirm in writing that their ground is available to them on every Saturday of the season and also that the ground is available for midweek fixtures throughout the season.

Fair enough, I wasn’t sure of their motives behind moving from east Juniors to north Juniors. I was more contemplating the possibility of Lochee, Tayport or one of the Dundee junior teams jumping ship, although they seem happy in their own wee super league now

Halkirk United talked about a long term goal of HL membership when they opened their new ground a few years ago but as far as I'm aware haven't mentioned it since.  Say they did join though, what kind of standard would they be?  You'd imagine most of the good local players get hoovered up by Wick Academy and maybe to a lesser extend Brora.  They'd be working off scraps and probably be somewhere around Fort William's level.

33 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Halkirk United talked about a long term goal of HL membership when they opened their new ground a few years ago but as far as I'm aware haven't mentioned it since.  Say they did join though, what kind of standard would they be?  You'd imagine most of the good local players get hoovered up by Wick Academy and maybe to a lesser extend Brora.  They'd be working off scraps and probably be somewhere around Fort William's level.

I’m almost certain Halkirk don’t meet the stadium requirements to enter the HL (no floodlights I think).

You’re right about the probable standard they’d be at, the population density is so low in that area that there just aren’t enough people to support a second HL club and any player of a decent standard is at Wick and many people from the area go to Wick games anyway cause there is nowt else to do. 

By the same token I’m sure I read Brora were against getting promoted to the SPFL (or I’m sure they were accused of chucking it when they had a good shot at promotion) and they are just backed by a wealthy owner and are probably just about close enough to Inverness to attract players.

As for potential new HL clubs, any sizeable town either already has a HL club or SPFL club in some cases and the only way new clubs are going to enter the league is if they are backed financial by someone with a bit of wealth (expect the possible except of BoD in the future).

The NCL expansion thread has loads more info on the futures of clubs north of Inverness but I’d wager it’s unlike any will enter the HL expect maybe Golspie but even that is unlikely.

As mentioned on the Cove thread, there is now the possibility of Elgin dropping a league and I’m assuming Brechin would opt for the highland league if they faced a 3rd successive drop?

Edited by NEFarab

Perhaps the other leagues and clubs don't see their role being to make a pyramid work. What works best for them should be what happens.

Don't budget for it then, you're hardly going to be relegated. Enter and work towards boosting finances.  I really hope they get their Licence removed if they continue to refuse to move to the Pyramid.
Remove their licence and burn their park to the ground! That'll learn them.