Non-top flight clubs in continental competition

GNU_Linux

Trying to gather a list of clubs that have played in continental competition whilst playing outside the top flight of their respective league. So far I have (tier in brackets)

Queen Of The South (2nd): 2008-2009 UEFA Cup
Milwall (2nd): 2004-2005 UEFA Cup
Various Liechtensteiner clubs (various tiers): Various UEFA Cup/Europa League seasons [1]
Cardiff City  (2nd/3rd): 14x Cup Winners Cup[2]
Atalanta (2nd): 1987-1988 Cup Winners Cup
Merthyr Tydfil (7th): 1987-1988 Cup Winners Cup[2]
Swansea City (2nd/3rd): 5x Cup Winners Cup[2]
Wrexham AFC(2nd-4th): 8x Cup Winners Cup[2]
Dunfermline Athletic (2nd): 2007-2008 UEFA Cup
BK Hacken (2nd): 2007-2008 UEFA Cup
Newport County (3rd): 1980-1981 Cup Winners Cup[2]
Hibernian (2nd): 2016-2017 Europa League
Gretna (2nd): 2006-2007 UEFA Cup

[1] - All 7 clubs in Liechtenstein play in the Swiss league system & contest for a spot in the Europa League via the Liechtenstein Football Cup as they can't qualify for Europe via league finish. Only FC Vaduz have ever played in the top flight.
[2]- Qualfied via the Welsh Cup which Welsh clubs based in England took part in until 1996

Edited by GNU_Linux

Trying to gather a list of clubs that have played in continental competition whilst playing outside the top flight of their respective league. So far I have (tier in brackets)

Various Liechtensteiner clubs (various tiers): Various UEFA Cup/Europa League seasons [1]

[1] - All 7 clubs in Liechtenstein play in the Swiss league system & contest for a spot in the Europa League via the Liechtenstein Football Cup as they can't qualify for Europe via league finish. Only FC Vaduz have ever played in the top flight.
[2]- Qualfied via the Welsh Cup which Welsh clubs based in England took part in until 1996

We played in it as a division 1 side.

We did however qualify as a spl side.

If my memory is correct our opponents BK Hacken (a Gothenburg side) were in the same boat.

36 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

There was another Welsh team - Borough United? - played in the CWC

Surely Swansea, Wrexham and Newport County would also have played in the CWC?

11 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

There was another Welsh team - Borough United? - played in the CWC

Surely Swansea, Wrexham and Newport County would also have played in the CWC?

From what I can tell Borough United only ever played in the Welsh leagues & from I can gather the league they played in the Welsh League North was regarded as one of the top tiers in Wales (prior to the Welsh Premier League football in Wales was purely played at a regional level). I somehow forgot about Swansea & Wrexham who played in the CWC 5 & 8 times respectively. Newport only ever played in the cup once in 1980-1981.

9 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

From what I can tell Borough United only ever played in the Welsh leagues & from I can gather the league they played in the Welsh League North was regarded as one of the top tiers in Wales (prior to the Welsh Premier League football in Wales was purely played at a regional level). I somehow forgot about Swansea & Wrexham who played in the CWC 5 & 8 times respectively. Newport only ever played in the cup once in 1980-1981.

Didn't take on board the bit about being a league side...

FC Pasching from Austria won the Austrian Cup in 2012/13 while playing in the 3rd tier and played in Europa League qualifying the season after. Sankt Polten from the 2nd tier got into the Europa League group stage after losing to RB Salburg in the 2013/14 final.

Mechelen from the 2nd tier won the Belgian Cup this season and should be in next years Europa League group stage, but they could be banned for match fixing.

Edit - Mechelen have also been promoted, so will be a first tier team if they get to play in Europe next season.

Edited by Sherrif John Bunnell

Carrick Rangers were in the Northern Ireland "B" Division when they took part in the 76/77 Cup-Winners Cup, losing to Southampton

So Southampton can be included as they were Division 2 in that season.  

Also, West Ham as a Division 2 team in 1980-81 CWC, after an FA Cup win the previous season.

Also Birmingham City, who won the League Cup, were relegated in 2011 and played in Europa League the following season.

Then Ipswich Town qualified for Europa League through Fair Play and entered the Europa league in 2002/03 while playing in the Championship.

I am trying to think of a French side which also fit this criteria. It isn't Sedan, as they were not selected for Europa League after being runners up in the French Cup in 2005.

Edit: Found it:

Fc Gueugnon in 2000, in the Europa League while a Ligue 2 side [emoji4].

SV Stockerau played in CWC in 1992, losing to Spurs in a qualifying round. They were a second tier side.

17 hours ago, Dysart said:

Carrick Rangers were in the Northern Ireland "B" Division when they took part in the 76/77 Cup-Winners Cup, losing to Southampton

The B division back then wasn't integrated into the Irish League, there was no relegation/promotion in those days.