Cove Thread

It'll be another centre midfielder to compliment the 6 you already have. Watched your highlights against Inverness and you seem to have done well. Inverness don't look up to much though. Your man Mcintosh with a cracking finish.

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

It'll be another centre midfielder to compliment the 6 you already have. Watched your highlights against Inverness and you seem to have done well. Inverness don't look up to much though. Your man Mcintosh with a cracking finish.

That was more like how we can play. Over ran Caley's midfield, looked creative and pressed well. Our weakness is still centre back. Neill and Draper are susceptible to moments of madness. Strachan will firm it up a bit.

McIntosh with pace and some finish! Leitch actually did alright, played a killer through ball for Mitch's goal. Looked lively.

Good win for the confidence. Caley weren't all that impressive you're right. Maybe just an off day.

18 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

That was more like how we can play. Over ran Caley's midfield, looked creative and pressed well. Our weakness is still centre back. Neill and Draper are susceptible to moments of madness. Strachan will firm it up a bit.

McIntosh with pace and some finish! Leitch actually did alright, played a killer through ball for Mitch's goal. Looked lively.

Good win for the confidence. Caley weren't all that impressive you're right. Maybe just an off day.

You over ran midfield because you had three CMs in there against our 2 and Dodds did nothing to react to it even though it was clear we were getting smothered in there. Very concerning from our perspective. We were absolutely stinking and Cove should probably have won by more. 

16 minutes ago, RiG said:

You over ran midfield because you had three CMs in there against our 2 and Dodds did nothing to react to it even though it was clear we were getting smothered in there. Very concerning from our perspective. We were absolutely stinking and Cove should probably have won by more. 

I thought Dodds would have noticed that and tried to stem the flow. Having control in the middle of the park allowed us freedom to pick forward passes and therefore create opportunities. It's the one area of our squad which is definitely strong for L1 and if we can supply Mitch he'll bag us goals. 

Broadfoot although very good in the air couldn't handle Mitch. Saying that Duku caused Draper and Neill problems. Neither will be in our CB's in our fit starting XI

Caley will get it sorted and be competitive in the Championship. Heard you are looking to bring in another striker? Who would be dropped - Shane?

11 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I thought Dodds would have noticed that and tried to stem the flow. Having control in the middle of the park allowed us freedom to pick forward passes and therefore create opportunities. It's the one area of our squad which is definitely strong for L1 and if we can supply Mitch he'll bag us goals. 

Broadfoot although very good in the air couldn't handle Mitch. Saying that Duku caused Draper and Neill problems. Neither will be in our CB's in our fit starting XI

Caley will get it sorted and be competitive in the Championship. Heard you are looking to bring in another striker? Who would be dropped - Shane?

We've just signed Lewis Jamieson on loan from St Mirren likely to be backup. I'd be surprised to see him as a starter. Suspect that Mckay and Duku will start if we play two right up top but if we continue to play with a slightly withdrawn striker that might see Sutherland get a bit more game time behind one of them. Whilst he tried hard on Tuesday his finish and touch were very..."rusty". But then again, I don't think anyone from our team comes out with any real credit after the other night.

49 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Pardon my ignorance but with Cove dishing out three year deals to fairly high profile players in the Scottish game I just wondered if these guys would be full time or not?

All part time. Shay has his own plumbing business, Vigurs has started a business with his wife and the Tremarco's. Not sure what Draper is doing for a job.

If we get to the Championship at some point in the future I expect us to be hybrid and only if we stabilise we'd go full time.

18 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

All part time. Shay has his own plumbing business, Vigurs has started a business with his wife and the Tremarco's. Not sure what Draper is doing for a job.

If we get to the Championship at some point in the future I expect us to be hybrid and only if we stabilise we'd go full time.

Where are you getting all this money from though? You said yourself there were only 147 season tickets last year. Something’s very suspect about Cove financially I think.

24 minutes ago, The Gable Endie said:

Where are you getting all this money from though? You said yourself there were only 147 season tickets last year. Something’s very suspect about Cove financially I think.

I think it was around 170 which seems low. Not sure what it was the year prior when we were in L2, probably not much more to be honest. Our crowd attendance were between 500 - 1300 throughout that year with an average of 750. When the Dons were away from home we saw bigger numbers. I only see that increasing in L1 and if we ever get to the Championship. 

Aberdeen has the footballing appetite for 2 clubs I'm certain of that.

I see Arbroath have hit 800 season tickets sold so far and I believe that is a record for them. What are Montrose's season ticket sales looking like?

My guess would be the money is coming from the Balmoral group but that is pure speculation. I don't know what the club grand plan is. Are they hedging their bets to get to the Championship and attracting bigger and more widespread investment. Whatever the plan is it needs to sustainable at some point.

In regards to the 3 year deals we're dishing out I could see that making more sense financially if they were young/younger players which we could sell on and make money on but that is not the case. 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

5 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I see Arbroath have hit 800 season tickets sold so far and I believe that is a record for them. What are Montrose's season ticket sales looking like?

The club hasn’t said anything about how many they’ve sold, but it’s supposed to be a healthy number. I’m guessing in between the region of 400-600.

That performance and team line-up today was a shocker.

We going to play 4-5-1 all season to try and fit Draper in? I sincerely hope not.  Would be catastrophic.

He was a ghost in that midfield.

Scully has pace and chases every ball and he's warming the bench - doesn't sit right with me. We've displaced Fyvie from his usual position and it showed.

If we go 4-4-2 naturally Draper will be excluded surely? At that point in CM  he has to opt for Fyvie and Vigurs although Blair would excel there too and is far more consistent and driving than the latter.

Another good  striker or even just start Rory and play 4-4-2 is how I see our best formation.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

11 hours ago, starryfish said:

No, no, no. Haven't you heard? It's just that the local community are very generous with advertising and sponsorship.

But seriously, that is not good for Cove. The idea of splashing cash to get into the championship and then just making all that money back and becoming an established championship club is staggeringly naive.

14 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

That performance and team line-up today was a shocker.

We going to play 4-5-1 all season to try and fit Draper in? I sincerely hope not.  Would be catastrophic.

He was a ghost in that midfield.

Scully has pace and chases every ball and he's warming the bench - doesn't sit right with me. We've displaced Fyvie from his usual position and it showed.

If we go 4-4-2 naturally Draper will be excluded surely? At that point in CM  he has to opt for Fyvie and Vigurs although Blair would excel there too and is far more consistent and driving than the latter.

Another good  striker or even just start Rory and play 4-4-2 is how I see our best formation.

Was very surprising how poor cove were yesterday. But still managed to get a point. Guess that’s a good sign for you guys. 

Just now, AFalkirkBairnB said:

Was very surprising how poor cove were yesterday. But still managed to get a point. Guess that’s a good sign for you guys. 

We were poor as you rightly say. That's how we played in our opening 3 league cup games and not how we played against ICT. Lucky to get a point. Shocked there were only 3 shots on target the whole game between the two sides.

It's partly performance but mostly selection/formation.

PH seems to have taken the hump with Stuart McKenzie, perhaps after his 94th mistake that cost us getting to the playoff final.

He's persisting on Draper and playing Fyvie out of position.

Needs to pick on merit firstly and for me it's 4-4-2 not 4-4-1-1 with Fyvie in the hole. Mitch was isolated.

12 hours ago, starryfish said:

So they will require repayment in the long term? That really doesn’t look all that great. I’ve nothing against Cove or how they want to go about their business but I wish Joe Bloggs could identify the difference between being ambitious and not being self sufficient. You see folk all over Twitter slating clubs who live within their means whilst praising the likes of Kelty, Darvel, Cove and East Kilbride for being ‘ambitious’. 

21 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

So they will require repayment in the long term? That really doesn’t look all that great. I’ve nothing against Cove or how they want to go about their business but I wish Joe Bloggs could identify the difference between being ambitious and not being self sufficient. You see folk all over Twitter slating clubs who live within their means whilst praising the likes of Kelty, Darvel, Cove and East Kilbride for being ‘ambitious’. 

I'd imagine that's just legal speak for they'll be written off in the long term.

This is one of the criticisms I have of the pyramid. Cove is possibly an exception because of its proximity to Aberdeen. I've often heard "we have too many football clubs for our population compared to England." It's true there is a limit to how many clubs Scottish football can competitively sustain.

So if these clubs begin to dominate the pyramid and crowd out of the market the teams who are relatively sustainable, and then say another financial crisis blindsides everyone. We're going to see a few more Gretna's and noone to replace them meaning an overall weakening of the game in Scotland.