Jump to content

Cove Thread


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, JamesMunro said:

No not at the game, got tickets for the Caley one so hopefully there will be an improved performance. I think last season we didn’t play well in this cup either 

First game so didn't really expect us to be at our best. Hopefully step it up on Tuesday night or else we're going to be out the cup early!

Hartley still trying to decide who will play where it seems and that's natural.

What I would say is Scully over Draper in centre mid. Not even sure Draper is good enough to play CB

 

Edited by CoveRangers1922
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In fact thinking about our defence I'd be more than be happy with Scott Ross playing a CB partnership with Strachan akin to what we did in L2 or even play Higgins CB so either

Yule/Thomas Ross Strachan Milne

Or 

Ross Higgins Strachan Milne

The first formation displaces Yule who is currently playing RW but we could start Leitch or Leighton (shudder) or loan in a RB to allow Yule to remain where he is.

The second formation would allow Yule to right wing.

Hartley might feel obligated to play his new signings but I wouldn't if they don't perform as they should in the coming games

 

 

Edited by CoveRangers1922
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well Gourlay will never play for us again! Not a patch on McKenzie. Cost us both goals in the first half. 

3rd goal was a big mistake from Vigurs who but in a decent performance apart from that.

After a good opening 10 minutes where we had 2 strong chances we were hanging  on. Doesn't help when your 2nd choice keeper makes schoolboy mistakes

Hearts look a proper side who I suspect will do very well this season. Should be pushing for at least top 6 if not higher.

We need to find out our best formation. Here's something its not 4-5-1 with Fyvie in the hole. We'll need some good loan signings if we are hoping to win the title imo. If the season started now I wouldn't be confident as we're lacking match sharpness

Edited by CoveRangers1922
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 tickets available for Cove fans for the away League cup game against Peterhead on Saturday. I got one of them - will be a friendly for us essentially as we lost our opening two matches.

See below for more details. Need to be a season ticket holder and Club 1922 member.

 

https://coverangersfc.com/small-ticket-allocation-for-peterhead/

 

Edited by CoveRangers1922
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well at a warm Balmoor it's 2-1 Peterhead at half time. Lyall Cameron is the stand out player on the park. Playing in-between the lines and causing Vigurs and Draper all kinds of troubles. Both aren't prem quality it must be said.

Leitch missed a complete one on one sitter before Lyall scored the 2nd Peterhead goal shortly before half time.

Cove are playing a back 3 which we have done three times and everytime it's been a disaster.

Hartley is trying to shoehorn Draper into midfield and quite frankly it doesn't work. He's a donkey and a very slow one at that.

Cove midfield has no goals in them, no runners and someone with ability to take on there man.

Fyvie and Milne on the bench. Will change it if they come on.

On our way to 3 straight losses. Need a win to bolster confidence.

Edited by CoveRangers1922
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Full time and a 3-1 defeat. Cove look poor, midfield is unsettled with Vigurs and Draper in there. I'd go as far to say I wouldn't play either of them in our best XI but I'm fairly confident Hartley wont have the balls to drop Vigurs even for the odd game. 

Morgyn Neill is struggling at CB, a downgrade on Ross Graham.

3 losses on the bounced. Confidence looks quite low; worrying

Edited by CoveRangers1922
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did not really think about it at the time but is Ryan Strachan injured just now as did not see him listed today. Happy with the performance today from our point of view but would have been more satisfying if there had been league points at stake. Although we have a number of new players this season we seem to be gelling more quickly than Cove maybe have. Early days yet & the game of no great importance but a nice we boost for the winners.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/07/2021 at 16:56, CoveRangers1922 said:

Full time and a 3-1 defeat. Cove look poor, midfield is unsettled with Vigurs and Draper in there. I'd go as far to say I wouldn't play either of them in our best XI but I'm fairly confident Hartley wont have the balls to drop Vigurs even for the odd game. 

Morgyn Neill is struggling at CB, a downgrade on Ross Graham.

3 losses on the bounced. Confidence looks quite low; worrying

You still the only Cove poster? What’s going on?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

You still the only Cove poster? What’s going on?

Yeah it's looks that way! Would be nice to have others on here to discuss the squad, results and here their opinions. 

Tending to just "barge" into other teams threads like I did in L2! Dumbarton, Airdrie and Falkirk fans to name a few are very active and welcoming.

Heard last season we only had 170 season ticket holders which I was quite shocked to hear.

Our signings at first glance don't look to be up to much but we have kept all our key players. Not sure what to expect this season.  Bookies have or had us favourites, not too sure I agree but we'll see. How's Cowden's team looking this year? Good result against Alloa 

Edited by CoveRangers1922
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Yeah it's looks that way! Would be nice to have others on here to discuss the squad, results and here their opinions. 

Tending to just "barge" into other teams threads like I did in L2! Dumbarton, Airdrie and Falkirk fans to name a few are very active and welcoming.

Heard last season we only had 170 season ticket holders which I was quite shocked to hear.

Our signings at first glance don't look to be up to much but we have kept all our key players. Not sure what to expect this season.  Bookies have or had us favourites, not too sure I agree but we'll see. How's Cowden's team looking this year? Good result against Alloa 

We’ll be OK. Liam Buchanan has made a big difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/07/2021 at 22:25, peternapper said:

Did not really think about it at the time but is Ryan Strachan injured just now as did not see him listed today. Happy with the performance today from our point of view but would have been more satisfying if there had been league points at stake. Although we have a number of new players this season we seem to be gelling more quickly than Cove maybe have. Early days yet & the game of no great importance but a nice we boost for the winners.

Strachan is a key player in the centre of our defence so was a real miss. Morgyn Neill looks shaky as hell at the back and his distribution is poor too.

I was impressed with Peterhead and in Lyall Cameron you have a great creative midfielder. Russell will get goals and could form a decent partnership with Payne.

Think some might wrongly underestimate Peterhead this season.

Agree your signings have gelled better than ours

Edited by CoveRangers1922
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Heading up to your place this evening. Is the wee pub at the ground open or am I going to have to kill time hanging around Burger King before going in?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, RiG said:

Heading up to your place this evening. Is the wee pub at the ground open or am I going to have to kill time hanging around Burger King before going in?

It was closed last week sadly for our game against Stirling Albion.

All to play for for Caley tonight. 5 points from the last 2 games would see you through. For us we're looking for a win to bolster confidence after coming off of 3 straight losses, conceding 3 goals in each game.

Cove are struggling to find a formation given we're trying to fit Draper and Vigurs into a 5 man midfield. This was an area of the pitch we look strong last season. We didn't need Vigurs or Draper imo. Now our midfield looks unsettled and we seem to be playing 3 at the back to accommodate 5 in the middle. That terrifies me and is the reason we've leaked goals.

Interested to see what level ICT are at and how we compare.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cove field 11 midfielders, not quite but not far to be honest. Players playing out of position again.

Here's our lineup tonight. Only 2 outfielders named on the bench and one of them is Broque Watson.

I doubt we've played our preferred formation and near our best XI yet.

Really worry about that centre back pairing and the lack of midfielders willing to get up to or past Mitch when we have good possession.

Looking forward to seeing Shane and Duku as a front 2.

Screenshot_20210720-192323.jpg

Edited by CoveRangers1922
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2-0 Cove at half-time after two well worked goals with finishes to match. Leighton with the first and Mitch with the second. Much improved Cove performance today and deserved lead after 45 minutes. This is more like how we can play.

Cove have noticeable defended better than our opening 3 games but even then Draper played a miss-placed pass and let Duku in but his shot was blocked off the line from Morgyn Neill. We are missing Strachan for some solidarity.

Late in the first half Shane missed from close range.

Cove in the ascendency and are easily matching the Championship side

 

Game ends 3-1. The 4-5-1 turned out to work well with plenty of support for Mitch. We are still a striker short, surely we'll be looking for some loan options.

Need Strachan back as Morgyn Neill and Ross Draper are a wicked partnership and can be our worst enemy at times with sloppy mistakes.

Edited by CoveRangers1922
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Draper and Gourlay haven't filled with any confidence at the back.

 

Duku should have had a couple for Inverness but taken far too long on the ball. Also they had 1 cleared off the line.

Nice for Blair Yule to get I believe his first goal since we've joined the professional leagues.

Roll on the league season now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, CRFC Blue said:

Draper and Gourlay haven't filled with any confidence at the back.

 

Duku should have had a couple for Inverness but taken far too long on the ball. Also they had 1 cleared off the line.

Nice for Blair Yule to get I believe his first goal since we've joined the professional leagues.

Roll on the league season now.

Draper looks so awkward and has zero pace. Morgyn Neill is an accident waiting to happen especially when the ball is on the deck and he has someone running at him. Decent in the air granted.

Strachan and Ross should be the CB pairing for me until we find a Ross Graham type in the loan market. Yule was good at RB tonight; not his favoured position but does a fine job there. 

McKenzie will surely play all the league games?

Duku and Shane were wasteful but we thoroughly deserved the win. Midfield was outstanding, two great assists. 

That's the intensity and work-rate we are used to seeing and if we can continue that and stop the individual errors at the back we'll do fairly well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has Higgins been punted?

Hartley was massive on Gourlay as a youth. He was playing Prem football last season. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he eventually tries to mould him the way he moulded Scott Bain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Has Higgins been punted?

Hartley was massive on Gourlay as a youth. He was playing Prem football last season. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he eventually tries to mould him the way he moulded Scott Bain.

He played on Saturday and was hooked at half time. He's not getting enough minutes and is definitely out of favour it seems.

Gourlay looks shaky as hell at times whereas McKenzie is rock solid and has better distribution. I'd be very surprised if Gourlay played more than a handful of games. He's young and could develop.

Hartley's signings need to be better imo. Rare he gets it right.

Edited by CoveRangers1922
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cove looking to bring in a couple of new players prior to the league opener with Falkirk. Surely that means a striker and a defender? Surprised if it's another midfielder.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish-football/cove-rangers-fc/cove-rangers-boss-paul-hartley-keen-to-add-following-depleted-squads-fine-win-over-caley-thistle/amp/

Screenshot_20210721-063435.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...