Cove Thread

On 29/03/2024 at 21:28, Jo9 said:

I think if it was obvious that the DOF was responsible for signings Hartley would get a break, but it definitely feels all the signings are Hartleys.

So to me that’s two people to get rid of, one for the signings and one for not taking control.

John obviously did a lot of the club and it’s to be commended, but I feel cove has a problem with sentimentality with players and officials from the past and a fear of binning them off

Surely if the board bite the bullet and get rid of Hartley. That John will walk or moved into an ambassador role? Similar as Aberdeen seems like jobs for the boys at board level.

50 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Just reading about Cove's depleted squad - would Lawal have filled any of those gaps?

(I know he'd be unavailable on Saturday)

It's a mess, recruited 30 players in 2023 alone and due to mis-mananagement, poor recruitment and combined with some injuries we find ourselves with barely 11 players to field.  Our bench last week was GK, CB, CB and DCM

Burrell, Darge and Kerr all to have late fitness tests ahead of tomorrow with Mitch, Blair and Matty Shiels all confirmed out again. I suspect at least 2 of the former if not all will pull through but I fear for us tomorrow. Ripped Mo apart and the same could happen tomorrow night.

Ola could have played a part and perhaps done alright against some teams in the league but as I said before he's a flair player, with very little strength and no defensive qualities. Simply can't afford that with the way our team and tactics are right now. Didn't look overly interested or committed with us. I'm interested to see where he goes after leaving you guys in the summer.

In the sporadic minutes he played for us I can't say I was impressed at all. Plenty of players that can play his position in our league that are above him I think; Blair Lyons, Aidan Smith, Josh McPake, Jamie Barjonas, Stefan Scougall, Taylor Steven to name a few. Fyvie and Scully were ahead of him.

We should have kept Mark Gallagher and left you with Ola. 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Serious responses aside.  Run a small squad these things are gunna happen.

It happened in league one and two before, the only difference is it didn’t highlight bad recruitment before like it does now.

Honestly going into the Falkirk game I would happily turn up with just Demus, sack it off, take the 3-0 forfeit and look to next week.  

the only thing coming from this game is Falkirk fans lording it up over their ex manager and bbc Alba getting 2 new viewers 

I would give up a weeks salary for Richard Gordon to ask Hartley why his ‘Injury Crisis’ was caused by complete and utter ineptitude, falling out with players, not using the loan market properly and allowing our players to go out on loan. 

All the signs are that he is going thankfully. 

It’s actually quite staggering to think that a win for us tomorrow would actually put us in a reasonably strong position for the play offs. The downside is that we have never really looked like competing with Alloa in the last few outings. It’s a reflection of the bizarre season of apathy this has been. 

It’s a broken record from me that we find ourselves in such a strong position given that we will probably have 3 outfield subs on the bench tomorrow. It’s a picture of complete mismanagement although I just wonder if that’s by design from those who make the real decisions in the club. We can only hope.

I forgot it was a 1730 KO so I won’t be there, I would hope for a 1-0 win. Burrell revelling in his place in the PFA team of the year. 

1 hour ago, Watson Nimrod said:

It’s actually quite staggering to think that a win for us tomorrow would actually put us in a reasonably strong position for the play offs. The downside is that we have never really looked like competing with Alloa in the last few outings. It’s a reflection of the bizarre season of apathy this has been. 

It’s a broken record from me that we find ourselves in such a strong position given that we will probably have 3 outfield subs on the bench tomorrow. It’s a picture of complete mismanagement although I just wonder if that’s by design from those who make the real decisions in the club. We can only hope.

I forgot it was a 1730 KO so I won’t be there, I would hope for a 1-0 win. Burrell revelling in his place in the PFA team of the year. 

I am at that stage of, I want Cove to do well. But to be honest I would happily miss out of the playoffs.

Mostly because I think another season in League 1 to reset and reassess where we want to be wouldn’t go amiss.  Yes we have previously got to the championship, but we did that during a very weak league 1, but we saw how that went, we were not ready for it.  The only thing that really came out of it was a bit of a pride from getting there and we gave ammo to certain elements of the SPFL for their usual craic, I am sure they will be monitoring our attendance tomorrow for example.

If we go into tomorrow with 3 subs again then we need to be looking at recruitment strategy and that shouldn’t be stopping at the manager, it needs to go from manager, to director of football to chairman.  The buck stops somewhere, and that’s now two managers with poor recruitment with the same director of football.   Maybe Hartley isn’t the problem(he’s a major problem but I am attempting a point here)

I know I am repeating myself from my previous post.  

If we want a fresh start it doesn’t end with getting rid of Hartley, it’s a full root and family tree pruning.

IMG_3576.jpeg

10 hours ago, Jo9 said:

If we go into tomorrow with 3 subs again then we need to be looking at recruitment strategy and that shouldn’t be stopping at the manager, it needs to go from manager, to director of football to chairman.  The buck stops somewhere, and that’s now two managers with poor recruitment with the same director of football.   Maybe Hartley isn’t the problem(he’s a major problem but I am attempting a point here)

There is a lot of deadwood at the club that are well past their prime, the dugout only seem to serve as protection for the manager from the occasional bit of direct criticism he gets from paying punters. Hopefully they will go at the end of the season as well as they serve no real purpose. I never hear a ‘well done’ coming from any of them. Sums it all up for me.