Cove Thread

16 minutes ago, Lowrie83 said:

In terms of you not giving McIntyre the keys to the warchest. I'd count yourselves lucky he didn't as McIntyres attitude and off field antics would have overshadowed Cove and any hard work the team put in. As for going hybrid it was my understanding, from speaking to one of your players, that 23/24 was always going to be hybrid as decision was made 2yrs ago about this so not surprised this happened 

Agreed.

Hybrid at the start of last season *might* have secured our safety but it's all water under the bridge now and can't be changed. I never took to McIntyre at all and the board didn't overly commit to him either. Granted he had us 8th and looking steady but wasn't endearing to the fans and ruffled feathers from the offset.

Hartley's return from January onwards was a complete and utter disaster from the moment he stepped back in the door. He's got to prove he can use the finances effectively. Remains to be seen what kind of rebuild he can achieve.

Moorhouse said hybrid was part of the 5 year plan. Interesting to hear it was going to happen regardless of what league we were in for 23/24.

5 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Most contracts up yesterday yeah and what no signings so far shows is that we've likely had little or no PCA's that have come to fruition.

I think we're still figuring out who will be left as well as building our list of targets. Don't know what Hartley's recruitment strategy will be. Will he go local, far afield, look up or down the leagues, loans or a mixture? Maybe Hartley's gone missing like McGowan, who knows!

Rebuild all over the pitch. At least this.

GK, LB, RB, CB, CB, CM, RW, LW, CF, CF

This where you hope Hartley’s contacts with in the game will help even if it’s getting some promising youngsters on loan. Was looking to see who Cove would seriously be having competition with to sign full time players? Raith, ICT, Dunfermline, Airdrie possibly Falkirk? 

As long as Hartley isn’t on the phone with McGowan. 

Hope to see some movement soon and the big plan to go full time doesn’t end up with a team full of full time Jobbers their for a wage. I know it’s even been hard at times for Aberdeen to attract the calibre of player up North  previously. 

1 minute ago, Moorie said:

This where you hope Hartley’s contacts with in the game will help even if it’s getting some promising youngsters on loan. Was looking to see who Cove would seriously be having competition with to sign full time players? Raith, ICT, Dunfermline, Airdrie possibly Falkirk? 

As long as Hartley isn’t on the phone with McGowan. 

Hope to see some movement soon and the big plan to go full time doesn’t end up with a team full of full time Jobbers their for a wage. I know it’s even been hard at times for Aberdeen to attract the calibre of player up North  previously. 

You'd like to think Hartley will have contacts in the game by now that can help us. Not known for playing the loanees he gets though! Robson getting the Dons job should definitely help him and Cove. Apart from Glass first time around and Ross Graham the rest have come and gone with barely a kick of the ball.

Really difficult to tell right now what our budget/limits for full time contracts would be. I heard it will be healthy. First few signings will be telling. Will be competitive for sure but the difficulty will be tempting players to the area and to L1 when they might have Championship offers. We'll have countless rejections due to this. Even offering more won't help.

Dunfermline and Falkirk clearly have far superior fan bases and revenue streams. Caley will make a fortune this year with the SC final run and money they will get from a share of final ticket sales. Were in a bit of financial bother but the latter will make up for it and more. Could be a competitor for players if we were in the same league. All of these clubs will have more than a pull than us. Rovers look to have found a stack of cash with their new board/investors. Hamilton and Mullin on 3 year deals won't have been cheap and Connolly signing on for 2 years is big too.

Exactly we don't want to be scraping the bottom of the FT barrel as we could tread water for a while. Naturally we'll get players from the North East who want to be here, will get a good wage and will come to us even though they could play higher. We should find the odd gem from elsewhere who comes to us from god knows where but could get a few duds along the way.

Airdrie and QoS likely at the lower end of the FT budgets along with Morton perhaps. Imrie has done wonders there, Hartley doesn't have that skill.

5 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Airdrie and QoS likely at the lower end of the FT budgets along with Morton perhaps. Imrie has done wonders there, Hartley doesn't have that skill.

^^^ Very much this.  With our limited budget I would think that Marvin Bartley will by necessity be using his wide-spread contacts to deliver some "creative recruitment" - I can see some of the QOS squad for next season featuring some unknowns from south of the border or elsewhere.

Rather obviously, I'm expecting the challenge for L1 to come from Falkirk, Accies, Cove and Queens - it would be folly to ignore Alloa though.

15 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

You'd like to think Hartley will have contacts in the game by now that can help us. Not known for playing the loanees he gets though! Robson getting the Dons job should definitely help him and Cove. Apart from Glass first time around and Ross Graham the rest have come and gone with barely a kick of the ball.

Really difficult to tell right now what our budget/limits for full time contracts would be. I heard it will be healthy. First few signings will be telling. Will be competitive for sure but the difficulty will be tempting players to the area and to L1 when they might have Championship offers. We'll have countless rejections due to this. Even offering more won't help.

Dunfermline and Falkirk clearly have far superior fan bases and revenue streams. Caley will make a fortune this year with the SC final run and money they will get from a share of final ticket sales. Were in a bit of financial bother but the latter will make up for it and more. Could be a competitor for players if we were in the same league. All of these clubs will have more than a pull than us. Rovers look to have found a stack of cash with their new board/investors. Hamilton and Mullin on 3 year deals won't have been cheap and Connolly signing on for 2 years is big too.

Exactly we don't want to be scraping the bottom of the FT barrel as we could tread water for a while. Naturally we'll get players from the North East who want to be here, will get a good wage and will come to us even though they could play higher. We should find the odd gem from elsewhere who comes to us from god knows where but could get a few duds along the way.

Sums it up here. He’s in the same category as the Yogi’s and such like who just rotate round the Scottish manager merry go round.

image.png.ec46cbd93bb97664c2cd3511f7012b2f.png

Cove Rangers FC can today confirm that the club will vote against the proposed introduction of the Scottish Conference League.

At the Scottish FA AGM on Tuesday June 6, member clubs will be requested to vote on a new fifth-tier division, which will consist of B Teams and representatives of the existing Highland League and Lowland League.

Our Board has discussed the plans ahead of next week’s vote and is of the view that the introduction of B Teams and the Conference League, will not be beneficial to player development.

As a club, we see the player development closely linked to earlier pathways into their first-team and through the successful use of the current loan system.

Cove sign former Killie youngster Kyle Connell on a 2 year deal.

First full time contract, can't say I'm overly enthused by this signing, will be fine for L1 and undoubtedly bang in some goals, and is a good age but unless he improves dramatically he would be backup for us IF we ever get back up to the Championship.

Looked very capable at East Fife and Airdrie but out of his depth slightly for Rovers.

Going by the article below we will indeed be focusing on younger players, I would guess under 25, rather than the journeyman pros of late. Still very much need experience.

https://coverangersfc.com/2023/06/06/connell-is-first-new-signing/

Screenshot_2023-06-06-13-36-07-68_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

Edited by CoveRangers1922

4 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

First full time contract, can't say I'm overly enthused by this signing, will be fine for L1 and is a good age but unless he improves dramatically he would be backup for us IF we ever get back up to the Championship.

Looked very capable at East Fife and Airdrie but out of his depth for Rovers.

Going by the article below we will indeed be focusing on younger players, I would guess under 25, rather than the journeyman pros of late. Still very much need experience.

Mitch needs someone stronger, more physical to partner him imo. Not sure if Connell will be competition/3rd choice or the unimaginable happens and Mitch leaves

14 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

First full time contract, can't say I'm overly enthused by this signing, will be fine for L1 and is a good age but unless he improves dramatically he would be backup for us IF we ever get back up to the Championship.

Christ scraping at the bottom of the barrel on this one I think he will do a job in L1 but he ain’t a 15-20 goal striker and if yous do come back up first time of asking to the championship he’s simply not good enough after witnessing him first hand  and will need to add better next season, he does do a few good things, like pressing, decent dribbler and got a long throw but that’s about it really 

16 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I wanted us to be looking at him as an option last summer as he was a nuisance against us for Airdrie.

Didn't work out for him at Raith but I was surprised to see him drop as low as East Kilbride so it'll be interesting to see how he gets on.

3 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I wanted us to be looking at him as an option last summer as he was a nuisance against us for Airdrie.

Didn't work out for him at Raith but I was surprised to see him drop as low as East Kilbride so it'll be interesting to see how he gets on.

He'd played minutes for Killie right at the start of the season, meaning he couldn't sign for another SPFL side outside of us after leaving Killie. EK would've been the best offer on the table. What was strange was that Murray came out and alluded in an interview days before his loan expired that he was likely to rejoin us.

5 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

He'd played minutes for Killie right at the start of the season, meaning he couldn't sign for another SPFL side outside of us after leaving Killie. EK would've been the best offer on the table. What was strange was that Murray came out and alluded in an interview days before his loan expired that he was likely to rejoin us.

Ah that would make sense. He's undoubtedly capable at  L1 level and could develop or could flat line. Guess it's low risk and wouldn't be costing overly much.

He's got some attributes similar to Hester for me. 

The reality is that Cove will be at the very very bottom of the food chain when it comes to signing full-time players. I saw some of the names being suggested by (some) Cove fans and I couldn’t help but laugh… sorry. I’m sure I read Curtis Main being suggested. He’s more likely to end up at Aberdeen again than Cove.

imo it’ll be selection of young kids let go by bigger clubs, old pros coming to the very end of their careers and possibly some kind of link-up with Aberdeen. The other possibility of course is that huge sums of money are going to entice bigger names to the club… very dangerous.

I may be completely wrong of course but I still think it’s too soon and a massive gamble to go full-time but best of luck with it.

Edited by Tattie36

1 minute ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Two in one day. Expecting another player of similar profile and age. Least we are starting the recruitment 

Screenshot_2023-06-06-15-50-20-41_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

Luke Strachan who was recently released from Dundee and had a spell on loan at the Wasps 

@printer / @Kevchenko - what should we expect?

Screenshot_2023-06-06-15-51-43-71_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

7 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Luke Strachan who was recently released from Dundee and had a spell on loan at the Wasps 

@printer / @Kevchenko - what should we expect?

Screenshot_2023-06-06-15-51-43-71_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

Strachan is an excellent player, he was in League 2 with us at least.

I think he got on well with Alloa aswell.

He got 7 assists for us in the first half of the season (21/22), as a defender he is a brilliant playmaker. No doubt he will replicate that in League 1

32 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

The reality is that Cove will be at the very very bottom of the food chain when it comes to signing full-time players. I saw some of the names being suggested by (some) Cove fans and I couldn’t help but laugh… sorry. I’m sure I read Curtis Main being suggested. He’s more likely to end up at Aberdeen again than Cove.

imo it’ll be selection of young kids let go by bigger clubs, old pros coming to the very end of their careers and possibly some kind of link-up with Aberdeen. The other possibility of course is that huge sums of money are going to entice bigger names to the club… very dangerous.

I may be completely wrong of course but I still think it’s too soon and a massive gamble to go full-time but best of luck with it.

Yeah mostly younger guys with the odd experienced pro. There will be money available for big signings that want to be in the northeast and we can attract. It won't be the money that will stop us getting some of our ambition targets it will be the league we are in.

2 minutes ago, BridiesHereBridiesThere said:

Strachan is an excellent player, he was in League 2 with us at least.

I think he got on well with Alloa aswell.

He got 7 assists for us in the first half of the season (21/22), as a defender he is a brilliant playmaker. No doubt he will replicate that in League 1

Sounds very promising. Only needs to be as good as Harry and I'll be more than happy!! Big shoes to fill but hopeful he can be a strong addition