Cove Thread

15 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Yeah they can. Open from 12 or 12.30 normally.

I assume the social club is open before all games? For example on a Friday night?

Couple of us trying to plan where to get a drink before the game in a couple weeks (the 2nd one 🤣) and thought we would just head straight to the social club because of the time we'll get up there.

2 hours ago, AuAl said:

I assume the social club is open before all games? For example on a Friday night?

Couple of us trying to plan where to get a drink before the game in a couple weeks (the 2nd one 🤣) and thought we would just head straight to the social club because of the time we'll get up there.

Yeah it is. Likely be open that Friday night from at least 5pm. Will try to find the exact opening time for you.

I see Scott Fox has just signed. Even though going to school with McKenzie and he was mates with my mates younger brother Cove definitely need a experienced keeper for this league. Good but if business  

Cove interested in taking Tony Weston on loan for the remainder of the season according to Mark Pirie (article from Daily Record)

We need height and physicality to play alongside Mitch. Weston is undoubtedly a finisher but he's smaller than the aforementioned. If he come to us I'm dubious about this signing.

Screenshot_2023-01-18-09-25-05-04_c0dc27f5c07cb0fb3541d6073dfd6932.jpg

20 hours ago, Moorie said:

I see Scott Fox has just signed. Even though going to school with McKenzie and he was mates with my mates younger brother Cove definitely need a experienced keeper for this league. Good but if business  

I hope he get a windy day at Gayfield.  Scott Fox was part of what was possibly the funniest match I've ever watched!

22 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I hope he get a windy day at Gayfield.  Scott Fox was part of what was possibly the funniest match I've ever watched!

Isn’t every day windy at Gayfield? Heading down for hospitality there in April for game against Cove reckon I’ll still need my hat and gloves 

8 minutes ago, Moorie said:

Isn’t every day windy at Gayfield? Heading down for hospitality there in April for game against Cove reckon I’ll still need my hat and gloves 

It’s a bit of a myth really perpetuated by opposing fans and the media. Our first home game v Killie last season was almost flat calm, yet the media and Killie fans talked about paying in a “wind tunnel” etc.

Yes, when it’s windy it can be pretty grim but the wind is only bad enough to have a big impact on games a few times a season. The only bad one this season so far was against QP on 23rd December. I think it was way worse on Saturday past at Ayr.

Scotland in general is pretty windy and I would say Aberdeen, where I also live, is a far windier place than Arbroath in general.

I think the stadium location, right on the coast can make it breezier, but aye, its overexaggerated.  The windy days live in the memory because they are so rare!

That particular game was windy, and playing against the wind, Scott Fox took about 15 almost identical goal kicks, and every single one was shanked out of play before the half way line.  At no point did he learn.  He never tried kicking it low, he never tried kicking the ball to the other side of the pitch, he never even tried moving the ball to a spot further away from the goal.  Every single time, he put the ball on the same spot, faced in the same direction, and wellied it full power over the stand to increasingly loud fury from the Thistle fans, and cheers from us.

It was one of the funniest halves of football I have ever seen.  I'll never forget it.

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Cove sign teeny tiny Tony Weston on loan for the remainder of the season

Thought he was a striker rather than AM

https://coverangersfc.com/2023/01/19/weston-is-january-signing-number-four/

Screenshot_2023-01-19-15-03-59-67_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

Played wide for us mostly. I guess can play anywhere along front line. Hope it works out for the lad as he certainly doesn't lack in effort. 

18 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Played wide for us mostly. I guess can play anywhere along front line. Hope it works out for the lad as he certainly doesn't lack in effort. 

I wonder if we might play him in the wide area too. Hopefully he can do a job for us. Not expecting him to win much in the air or be strong defensively but if he can score/create then he'll be valuable 

6 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I wonder if we might play him in the wide area too. Hopefully he can do a job for us. Not expecting him to win much in the air or be strong defensively but if he can score/create then he'll be valuable 

He's certainly quite pacy and determined.

4 hours ago, Moorie said:

Should bring your wallet as well or are you sitting outside with your hat on the ground. 🎩

7 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

It’s a bit of a myth really perpetuated by opposing fans and the media. Our first home game v Killie last season was almost flat calm, yet the media and Killie fans talked about paying in a “wind tunnel” etc.

Yes, when it’s windy it can be pretty grim but the wind is only bad enough to have a big impact on games a few times a season. The only bad one this season so far was against QP on 23rd December. I think it was way worse on Saturday past at Ayr.

Scotland in general is pretty windy and I would say Aberdeen, where I also live, is a far windier place than Arbroath in general.

Been twice for a game. The Scottish cup game in 2005 where it was all seasons in one day then a preseason friendly back in 2017 fine summers evening to be fair. Remember my dad taken me in the Easter holidays when I was about 8 taken round the ground and tour of of inside the stand. 

After next week will Cove have had two home games on BBC TV this season? Looking to come up for the game in April but didn't want to book in case it got moved to Friday night, however if you've have two home games then it shouldn't be as last season every team had two home games shown.

36 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

After next week will Cove have had two home games on BBC TV this season? Looking to come up for the game in April but didn't want to book in case it got moved to Friday night, however if you've have two home games then it shouldn't be as last season every team had two home games shown.

They played Queen's Park at home on BBC Scotland earlier in the season definitely so if the rules are the same this season you're fine.