Cove Thread

A wee update ( in case you’re interested)   for Cove fans, Harry Milne has won our fans player of the month award for July. 

Much like you guys said he is a level above in terms of performance, absolutely terrified the Killie defence in league cup. By his own admission  he is only at 60/70% fitness level due to the transition from PT to FT football.

I don’t think he will be with us for the entire 2 years of his contract.

33 minutes ago, Vinnyjag said:

A wee update ( in case you’re interested)   for Cove fans, Harry Milne has won our fans player of the month award for July. 

Much like you guys said he is a level above in terms of performance, absolutely terrified the Killie defence in league cup. By his own admission  he is only at 60/70% fitness level due to the transition from PT to FT football.

I don’t think he will be with us for the entire 2 years of his contract.

We're always interested to hear about Harry. Cove Legend.

Follow most teams on Twitter, including Thistle, and saw that announcement this morning. Last season was the Harry Milne show at Cove and before that he looked immense too, always progressing. You could name the MOTM before the game even started, was an absolute joy to watch. Gives everything every week.

I watched the Killie game and he stood out miles away. He's got everything you need to play at the top level. He's immensely physical, never shirks a challenge, strong in the air, is very quick over the first few yards and over longer distances as well as wanting to link up play and whip in dangerous crosses.  

I said it before but it's exceptional business from Ian McCall to secure him on a PCA so early on. Why the Dons didn't see that talent on their doorstep and sign him up I'll never know, instead they have Jack MacKenzie and Hayden Coulson who are nowhere near as good as Harry.

Out with the OF, you'd struggle to find an SPFL team with a better LB/LWB.

I suspect you'll have offers for him next summer, from SPL teams and from down South, and he'll be hard to hold onto but at least you'll get a fee.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Cove sign pacey left winger Cieran Dunne from Sunderland. Unsure of contract length but probably only 1 year.

Was on trial with L2 Doncaster Rovers as a left back but they opted for James Maxwell.

Suspect he'll start against Caley today.

This should be a fairly strong signing. Got the attributes needed to be successful and a left winger was exactly what we needed. Should gel well with Towler.

https://coverangersfc.com/2022/08/13/cieran-signs-on-at-balmoral-stadium/

Screenshot_20220813-080744.jpg

3 games in, 1 win and 2 very differing away defeats. 

Not an ideal start but with us feeling very much behind in recruitment and with McIntyre rocking the boat tactically and with Rory departing it's hard to realistically think we'd be much better off. 

It's a big couple of weeks for us off the pitch and on it. Off the pitch it's  imperative that our last few signings are proven and high quality players who can improve our starting XI.

So far:

Gerry < Rory

Luis < Yule/Leitch/Leighton

*Towler < Harry Milne 

Dunne - only played 1 game but barely played senior football.

*Towler is a quality 17 year LB so no issues with that one.

I make it we have a squad of 20 (18 if you take out Draper who will leave and Thomas who will go on loan I suspect). We won't add a lot more. 3 or 4 at a push.

Also McIntyre has replaced L1 keeper of the season with Gourlay who has shot stopped very well. Many Cove fans are unhappy with the selection and believe the integration with the defensive line isn't as strong with him as number 1.

There will be no denying that if we keep on taking gambles on EPL2 or English 5/6th tier players instead of quality players at our level or capable Premiership loans that we'll be scrapping for our existence in this division from early on and throughout the season.

On the pitch, next week we welcome Ayr to Balmoral. We're generally much stronger at home and will be looking to pick up a much needed 3 points. Ayr definitely have similar frustrations to us on the recruitment front and aren't rock solid at the back but looked strong 2nd half against the Spiders and are starting to score goals through Dipo. 

Wish we could have a mulligan for this summer. Don't mean a Josh although would take him in a heartbeat, more a golfing mulligan.

Just now, CoveRangers1922 said:

Cove sign Charlie Gilmour on a season long loan. @LeodhasXD , @RandomGuy. what are your thoughts?

Hopefully he has energy and drive in the middle of the park as it's badly needed in our team at the moment. We need someone to give protection to the back four 

Screenshot_20220816-190104.jpg

He looks aged in that photo.

16 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Cove sign Charlie Gilmour on a season long loan. @LeodhasXD , @RandomGuy. what are your thoughts?

Hopefully he has energy and drive in the middle of the park as it's badly needed in our team at the moment. We need someone to give protection to the back four 

Screenshot_20220816-190104.jpg

He's a tidy midfielder. I felt for us he never really put a foot wrong but also isn't  massive creator. Felt there was games that passed him by because it needed him to take more of a grip of the game and attempt risky passes/ have a drive at goal.

Alternatively this pass - 

Edited by LeodhasXD

19 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

He's a tidy midfielder. I felt for us he never really put a foot wrong but also isn't  massive creator. Felt there was games that passed him by because it needed him to take more of a grip of the game and attempt risky passes/ have a drive at goal.

Alternatively this pass - 

That commentary is legendary too by the way!!

Some pass. We need protection to the back four, someone to break up play, a bit of drive, can run for more than 5 minutes without breathing out his arse (Vigurs) and can feed it to our more attack minded midfielders like Fyvie 

Feel tomorrow is a big game for us coming off of two losses.

In the league we're undefeated at home in 15 months and have only lost 3 out of 44 home games since joining the SPFL. Balmoral has been a bit of a fortress, however, our squad is lacking quality in relation to the league we're in for the first time. McIntyre's recruitment has been nothing short pathetic since arriving, whether that's due to lack of backing or it's just his ability in the transfer market I'm not sure. Must say Towler is a good loan and Dunne is just in the door.

Blair misses for the 6th straight week. Might return to the matchday squad next week or if not at home to Hamilton. He's a massive loss for us in the middle of park.

Will be interesting to see if Gilmour gets a start and if Vigurs will be benched again. Masson will surely be dropped either way. Without the ball he doesn't do nearly enough to merit a start for us and with it he's been very ineffective. Should have been gone this summer.

Leitch has looked to have improved and I'd be tempted to start him on the right. Certainly far superior to Longstaff and Masson. Leighton could play there and would offer more height for flick on's but doesn't pose the same attacking threat.

4th league game and we're still a few short of key additions. In previous years since coming up to the SPFL I was always wary of us only having 2 strikers; we now only have 1 who knows where the net is. We're forced to play Mitch up top himself which is far from ideal and not something we've done in previous seasons.

Without Mitch for any length of time I would be extremely worried.

Predicted line up:

Cove.PNG

16 minutes ago, _FFC1876 said:

I find it incredible that Robbie Leitch now starts Championship football matches. Was average at best for us, and not a regular starter.

In fairness he's improved, looks a bit stronger and more confident to take on his man. Can score when presented with chances but it highlights how much our recruitment has fallen off.

He was a bit part player for us last season and now he's getting starts. I didn't see that happening after we lifted the title. When Blair returns he'll be punted out wide and Robbie will struggle to get into the side. We've taken in players much worse than him his summer!

2 minutes ago, _FFC1876 said:

Watching the Thistle game tonight, my God what a player he looks.

Yeah he's outstanding both ways. Top performer each and every week.

If Thistle don't go up he'll get an offer or two from an SPL club or a club down south at a decent level

Just popping in to say..Harry Milne will only be in the Championship for a single season. 

Hopefully it is with us, but he will 100% be playing at a higher level next year.

Fantastic player who genuinely has everything needed for a modern full back.

Not sure if he came to you this good, but fantastic effort all round for his development 👏.

1 hour ago, Jacky1990 said:

Just popping in to say..Harry Milne will only be in the Championship for a single season. 

Hopefully it is with us, but he will 100% be playing at a higher level next year.

Fantastic player who genuinely has everything needed for a modern full back.

Not sure if he came to you this good, but fantastic effort all round for his development 👏.

Watched the game and he was outstanding again. Gives his all every game, so consistent.

Thistle looked very impressive tonight to be fair and with wins away to Dundee and a hammering of Caley there is no reason why you can't win the league. The amount of interested parties in Harry will continue to grow.

He was exemplary with us. Came to us at 17/18 years old.

Could always tell he had genuine talent and was going to make it. Mitch was always praising him. Now played Tier 6 - Tier 2 which is a rarity.

45 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Watched the game and he was outstanding again. Gives his all every game, so consistent.

Thistle looked very impressive tonight to be fair and with wins away to Dundee and a hammering of Caley there is no reason why you can't win the league. The amount of interested parties in Harry will continue to grow.

He was exemplary with us. Came to us at 17/18 years old.

Could always tell he had genuine talent and was going to make it. Mitch was always praising him. Now played Tier 6 - Tier 2 which is a rarity.

It will be tier 1 or high end league 1 down south next year. No danger.

Excellent player

18 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

It will be tier 1 or high end league 1 down south next year. No danger.

Excellent player

I raved about him to the Thistle fans during the summer as any other Cove fan would have done too (if they were on here)

Immense player.

We're stuck with a manager who doesn't know his arse from his elbow, has made dubious additions so far and if something doesn't change on the recruitment front we'll be battling.